What is the draft beer Selection on RCI??

ripjerry95

This is the one thing that I don't like about cruising. The beer selection is poor. I mostly drink microbrews. On the ship, I settle for Foster's, in the big oil can. It's ok. I even switch to drinking more mixed drinks, because the beer selection is so bad. With the rising popularity of microbeer, some bars and restaurants have been increasing their offerings, but both RCI and Carnival haven't stepped up yet (although I don't care about Carnival...done with them). Hopefully someday.

Dan

I'm a big fan of hoppy IPA's. So, on RCCL, I mostly stick to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale bottles. It's a solid beer and goes down easy. I guess they don't stock it in large quantities, because I once cleaned the Oasis out mid-cruise! I haven't had a problem since, but thought that was pretty weak. I've also seen the Heineken taps run out mid-cruise a few times on RCCL.

I'm a big fan of hoppy IPA's. So, on RCCL, I mostly stick to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale bottles. It's a solid beer and goes down easy. I guess they don't stock it in large quantities, because I once cleaned the Oasis out mid-cruise! I haven't had a problem since, but thought that was pretty weak. I've also seen the Heineken taps run out mid-cruise a few times on RCCL.

I cleaned Adventure out of Pimm's...... but that's a whole other thread! ;)

Dan- You may be done w/Carnival, but their new Red Frog Ale in their brew pub has gotten RAVE reviews....I also prefer microbrews, but I've been on all major cruise lines ( except Costa) and RCI for DRAFT is among the worst..BTW,Celebrity ( Solstice class ships) & NCL ("Maltings") have special beer bars and have as many as 10 beers on draft including microbrews..since Celebrity is owned by RCI, you may want to explore that option...

Big Al

FYI, the "Thirsty Frog Red" is the "Budweiser American Ale", so if you can find that somewhere, you can try it and and see if you like it.

To the poster who said that they had Heineken and Amstel on Liberty last year, they probably don't any more, or will be switching to the other 2 soon. On Jewel this week they just had empty tap heads in the Solarium Bar, which is the only place I thought to look.

I have found that they do often change out what is on tap (longer story, but based on distributor and/or line requirements). I had it on good authority that (at least for a while) Independence had Old Speckled Hen on tap. Someone might find the above, or some other combination (which may or may not be desirable).

You and me both. I always seem to clean them out of Sierra Nevada and Newcastle.

Interesting. Neither is really very hoppy when compared to the Long Hammer.

True, but SN and NC are bottled and available at all the bars across all their ships. I've only seen Long Hammer once. It was in the pub....I think, on Allure.

FYI, the "Thirsty Frog Red" is the "Budweiser American Ale", so if you can find that somewhere, you can try it and and see if you like it.

Generally I hate any Bud product EXCEPT maybe Amber Bock isn't TOO bad ( if the choice is Bud, Bud L.,Coors L.,Miller or Amber Bock, I'll choose AB)...Thanks for that info on Thirsty Red Frog Ale...

Alan

True, but SN and NC are bottled and available at all the bars across all their ships. I've only seen Long Hammer once. It was in the pub....I think, on Allure.

Exactly, and I've never seen Long Hammer. Interestingly enough, the time I personally cleaned out the Oasis, I did not see anyone else drinking the Sierra Nevada (that's why I can make such a claim!). Most people are drinking Bud Lt, Coors Lt, etc. So, I guess we are the minority and they stock accordingly. It's still poor planning to only have a case or 2 of a beer on their menu when 6000 people are cruising for a week.

Sam Lager is probably my RCCL go to #2. If that's unavailable, I just have to make due! The problems we have...

I can definitely tell from the posts that the Draft selection on RCI is not up to par, but where can I get a draft beer on the boat? Which locations?

I'm on Radiance if it helps.

Also, does anyone know if the Chimay Blue is generally on every ship? Are there other Chimay's ever offered?

I can definitely tell from the posts that the Draft selection on RCI is not up to par,

It may not be up to par, but the question would really be (using golf terms) what is your handicap?

but where can I get a draft beer on the boat? Which locations?

I'm on Radiance if it helps.

Draft beer is available at nearly every regular bar (depending on stock at the particular bar), but may be slightly different, and may or may not be to your liking (again what is your handicap ;) ).

Also, does anyone know if the Chimay Blue is generally on every ship?

It may be, but may also not be, including on the ones that regularly offer it (Oasis was out the whole cruise on my last voyage).

Are there other Chimay's ever offered?

No.

of course most of those beers wouldn't be included in the premium drinks package right?

Actually, I think that most of them are. It would only be a few that might not be (I suspect it would be those that are either not in 330m bottles and/or those that are most expensive).

Speaking of Budweiser (which I rarely do), has anyone tried Budweiser Black Crown? What might it compare to?

I like anything with bold flavor--basically anything but Bud, Coors, and other starter beers. I also like variety. I might not repeat a particular beer all week. Same goes for wine, different bottle every night. Isn't that what cruising is all about? Different meal every time, different port every day, different friends every week.

Speaking of Budweiser (which I rarely do), has anyone tried Budweiser Black Crown? What might it compare to?

I like anything with bold flavor--basically anything but Bud, Coors, and other starter beers. I also like variety. I might not repeat a particular beer all week. Same goes for wine, different bottle every night. Isn't that what cruising is all about? Different meal every time, different port every day, different friends every week.

I tried black crown for the first time the other day. It is just okay (for my tastes). The closest comparison I can think of is Yeungling (not sure where you live, Yeungling is a big beer in the eastern 1/3rd of the country, brewed in PA).

I found the BC very malty and sweet with a high level of carbonation. It's not bad and worth a try, but I won't be going out of my way to get more of it.

Archived