When did NCL change forward sundeck from haven only to public?

tropical_cruiser

We just got off the Epic yesterday, this was our second cruise on this ship, the first was in 2010 to the Mediterranean.

The sundeck on deck 18 forward used to be accessible only from the haven, now the haven door is taped off and the gates to the public sundeck are open, there is a sign reading "adults only"

This is a significant change as it means there is not enough deck space for the haven, especially when you factor in the ridiculous chair hogging problem in the haven area. This was made even more significant on our cruise when the Nassau stop was cancelled and we ended up with 4 sea days.

When did NCL change this? I read a fair bit on this forum to plan things out and I never ran across it. Having been on the epic before I know it's packed with people and the haven is the only area where you can get a break from the crowds. This change reduces the private sundeck space for the haven by more than 50%

We just got off the Epic yesterday, this was our second cruise on this ship, the first was in 2010 to the Mediterranean.

The sundeck on deck 18 forward used to be accessible only from the haven, now the haven door is taped off and the gates to the public sundeck are open, there is a sign reading "adults only"

This is a significant change as it means there is not enough deck space for the haven, especially when you factor in the ridiculous chair hogging problem in the haven area. This was made even more significant on our cruise when the Nassau stop was cancelled and we ended up with 4 sea days.

When did NCL change this? I read a fair bit on this forum to plan things out and I never ran across it. Having been on the epic before I know it's packed with people and the haven is the only area where you can get a break from the crowds. This change reduces the private sundeck space for the haven by more than 50%

Did you use the Posh Club? It is still part of Haven and you need cruise card to access. It's a nice adult only area for Haven guests.

Yours is the third mention I've seen of this-- I'd been hoping each time that it wasn't true, or that someone had mistakenly left that connecting door open... This is a real disappointment. We used that space almost every day on both of our Epic cruises, and I loved it because DS could go there with me, which was important since he's not allowed at Posh and sometimes the courtyard is packed. If it's now both public and adults-only, where are Haven passengers suppose to go in the Haven with their kids when the Courtyard is full?

Yours is the third mention I've seen of this-- I'd been hoping each time that it wasn't true, or that someone had mistakenly left that connecting door open... This is a real disappointment. We used that space almost every day on both of our Epic cruises, and I loved it because DS could go there with me, which was important since he's not allowed at Posh and sometimes the courtyard is packed. If it's now both public and adults-only, where are Haven passengers suppose to go in the Haven with their kids when the Courtyard is full?

It's funny, because of the 3 sailings I had on EPIC, the place was DESERTED every day but the day we arrived in NYC on the maiden TA.

Otherwise, I was absolutely astounded at how much space went to waste.

In order to even access it from the Haven you have to walk up unmarked staircases, through twisting hallways.... it was a real oasis....but seriously underused.

Makes perfect sense for them to open it up (so long as they have a door preventing everybody from going down to the Haven.)

The change is there to stay according to the concierge. We used it every sea day as well on our first cruise.

The Haven was FULL every sea day, around 7:30am the daily hogging ritual was complete and every lounger had a neatly tucked in towel. This was despite large signs on the little tables asking that chairs are not be reserved.

On most sea days you're just out-of-luck for a lounger

It's funny, because of the 3 sailings I had on EPIC, the place was DESERTED every day but the day we arrived in NYC on the maiden TA.

Otherwise, I was absolutely astounded at how much space went to waste.

In order to even access it from the Haven you have to walk up unmarked staircases, through twisting hallways.... it was a real oasis....but seriously underused.

Makes perfect sense for them to open it up (so long as they have a door preventing everybody from going down to the Haven.)

Definitely not our experience at all, lots of people in the haven had no problem finding it on our first cruise. It agree it had lots of extra space but isn't that the whole point?

Anyway, the change reduces the size of the haven public areas by more than half and the result is there isn't enough space left for the haven guests.

The haven access from the now public sundeck has a two poles with a retractable tape line across it but the door is not locked. There are lots of haven guests going through it so it attracts others and most definitely curious kids.

We were quite surprised to see the number of people asked to leave the haven area because they don't belong there, I don't remember seeing any on our first cruise. I'm just guessing but I would bet this access door isn't much of a secret

Last time I was on the Epic it was shown on the public ship tour as a "hidden secret". But it was mentioned that it is not guaranteed opened for all but can be closed when needed for example see days. They said the change was made because it was sparsely used before. Guess if there is really a demand now they will be happy to change it back to the old system.

Epic started selling Posh passes for a long time now. During my cruise 2 weeks ago, 3 people forced their way into posh with me. But Posh is a mixed bag. During our cruise in 2010, you could not get a chair on a cloudy day and we stayed in the Haven.

My cruise 2 weeks ago, Posh was empty on the most sunny sea day ever!

Go figure!

The new ships will have a hot tub and water dipping pool and expect the area to get even more crowded. And NCL is already advertising they are selling passes.

On our first cruise, there were often only a few of us up there, but on our last one it was well-used-- although definitely not full-- every time I went up. Having that quiet, available space was a big perk for us. I do understand that NCL wants to make loungers available for everyone who wants to use them (as they should), but I think the first step should be to work to eliminate chair hogs on the public decks-- if so many unused loungers weren't being "saved," they probably wouldn't need to open up Haven space. That quiet deck was probably my favorite thing about the Haven.

On our first cruise, there were often only a few of us up there, but on our last one it was well-used-- although definitely not full-- every time I went up. Having that quiet, available space was a big perk for us. I do understand that NCL wants to make loungers available for everyone who wants to use them (as they should), but I think the first step should be to work to eliminate chair hogs on the public decks-- if so many unused loungers weren't being "saved," they probably wouldn't need to open up Haven space. That quiet deck was probably my favorite thing about the Haven.

Actually, if the haven loungers weren't fully "reserved" by 7:30am every day the extra space wouldn't be such a big issue.

Having cruised in the haven on the Epic before and after the change all I can say is it was a very different experience for us and in a negative sort of way.

We had a great cruise, the staff was truly extraordinary and the amenities on the ship are outstanding.

The problem is when you combine all of the little issues like this, people sneaking in, the Nassau port issue, and small signs of an aging ship the value just isn't there for us. We mix land and sea vacations and I can say without hesitation that the $15K cost for this 8 day vacation is too much money for what you get. I might try another ship in the future, not sure yet.

Actually, if the haven loungers weren't fully "reserved" by 7:30am every day the extra space wouldn't be such a big issue.

Having cruised in the haven on the Epic before and after the change all I can say is it was a very different experience for us and in a negative sort of way.

We had a great cruise, the staff was truly extraordinary and the amenities on the ship are outstanding.

The problem is when you combine all of the little issues like this, people sneaking in, the Nassau port issue, and small signs of an aging ship the value just isn't there for us. We mix land and sea vacations and I can say without hesitation that the $15K cost for this 8 day vacation is too much money for what you get. I might try another ship in the future, not sure yet.

You bring up fair points but signs of an aging ship? The Epic is almost brand new and less than 3 years old :)

If you read my review, I comment on the Haven situation too. Completely different than 2010.

Edited by david_sobe

Epic started selling Posh passes for a long time now. During my cruise 2 weeks ago, 3 people forced their way into posh with me. But Posh is a mixed bag. During our cruise in 2010, you could not get a chair on a cloudy day and we stayed in the Haven.

My cruise 2 weeks ago, Posh was empty on the most sunny sea day ever!

Go figure!

The new ships will have a hot tub and water dipping pool and expect the area to get even more crowded. And NCL is already advertising they are selling passes.

On our cruise last month Posh was never crowded. Maybe half full at best. We were there every day. That is the main reason we sail the Epic. We had the same experience last year. The people who had bought Posh passes told us they only sold 20 of them, which I had read on CC. Maybe it is the time of year that there are not alot of kids. Didn't see many. Last week in January. Booked same time next year.

I just got off Epic as well. Posh was crowded but I always found a seat somewhere. My biggest issue was the chair hogging in the courtyard. The same family took 8 loungers every single morning by 6:30 a.m. It was ridiculous. But I didn't let it ruin my trip. We had an amazing time. The crew is spectacular and as long as I had a place to sit, I was fine. There were a lot of kids but I never felt like they overtook the courtyard. They're entitled to be there like anyone else. Especially because families with small kids cannot go to Posh.

They also didn't enforce the "adults" in Posh since there were many many teenagers who each took a bed for themselves (when they easily fit 2). But again, I would never that ruin my trip.

We had a blast.

I just got off Epic as well. Posh was crowded but I always found a seat somewhere. My biggest issue was the chair hogging in the courtyard. The same family took 8 loungers every single morning by 6:30 a.m. It was ridiculous. But I didn't let it ruin my trip. We had an amazing time. The crew is spectacular and as long as I had a place to sit, I was fine. There were a lot of kids but I never felt like they overtook the courtyard. They're entitled to be there like anyone else. Especially because families with small kids cannot go to Posh.

They also didn't enforce the "adults" in Posh since there were many many teenagers who each took a bed for themselves (when they easily fit 2). But again, I would never that ruin my trip.

We had a blast.

Glad you had a great time

Those issues are unfortunate

That is why I say the Haven experience is so different on Epic. Did you find the Epic club restaurant crowded for dinner or breakfast?

Hope you do a full review!

Edited by david_sobe

You bring up fair points but signs of an aging ship? The Epic is almost brand new and less than 3 years old :)

If you read my review, I comment on the Haven situation too. Completely different than 2010.

The ship may be relatively new but the hotel portion of it is most definitely showing some signs of age. We were in 17017 and it was a nice room but had many signs of aging, things like worn carpet, chipped wood and trim, cracked sink, broken drawer slides, discolored grout and some mold in the shower etc.

Don't get wrong here, everything worked OK and was clean and we were quite comfortable. Actually, there was a few times the toilets wouldn't flush but if you tried again a few minutes later there was no problem.

We had a blast.

I have a picture of a chair hog in action, she reserved some loungers and a bed at 7:40am on the first sea day and never returned to use them.

In a hospitality and customer service industry the vendor should know it's market. ALL cruise lines must know when a busy week with over booking of children will occur. As noted by David in a previous post NCL KNEW that the 2/16/13 sailing of the Epic was going to be full of kids. I cruise that week every year and I knew.

I book the Haven when I can. I book and pay extra for the secluded areas that it provides. I book to be able to get a chair without having to get up at 7:00am. On my first Epic sailing this area was open to ONLY Haven guests- deck 18 foward. I expected that this sailing. I also had the pleasure of never having to get up at 7:00am for a chair in Posh. I think that week NCL didn't sell any Posh passes or maybe only a few ( unlike this week...IF I post my review I can state what I know).

Having had that deck open to the public and selling TOO many Posh passes that week was not right. Had I known any of this I would have never paid for the Haven on the Epic.

I'm sailing on the Epic on 3/9 in the Haven, and I sincerely hope we don't encounter the issues finding a lounger we did around the main pools on past cruises. That's one of the reasons I decided to spend the extra $$$ on the Haven experience; to get away from the chair hogs and enjoy a secluded...well, haven. If I have to compete with folks who are buying day passes to POSH for the price of a dinner in a specialty restaurant, then the whole Haven thing seems like so much marketing malarkey (I knew one day I would get to use that word).

In a hospitality and customer service industry the vendor should know it's market. ALL cruise lines must know when a busy week with over booking of children will occur. As noted by David in a previous post NCL KNEW that the 2/16/13 sailing of the Epic was going to be full of kids. I cruise that week every year and I knew.

I book the Haven when I can. I book and pay extra for the secluded areas that it provides. I book to be able to get a chair without having to get up at 7:00am. On my first Epic sailing this area was open to ONLY Haven guests- deck 18 foward. I expected that this sailing. I also had the pleasure of never having to get up at 7:00am for a chair in Posh. I think that week NCL didn't sell any Posh passes or maybe only a few ( unlike this week...IF I post my review I can state what I know).

Having had that deck open to the public and selling TOO many Posh passes that week was not right. Had I known any of this I would have never paid for the Haven on the Epic.

I agree completely, on my first Epic sailing we had no issues at all which is why we returned in the first place. My point in raising this is so people know what to expect, Haven fares are not cheap.

But you have the Haven Courtyard all to yourselves as long as people don't chair hog. I was in Posh most days having purchased the week pass. The chair joggers there were not wearing purple wrist bands. Families of 4 were taking up 2 lounges and 2 beds so each of their teenage daughters could have one to themselves. To me that is the height of rudeness and the main reason for lack of chairs. Our boys came into Posh twice. Both times to get sun blocked and then left without sitting at all. If the Haven guests were more courteous, there would have been no problem in Posh.

I'm sailing on the Epic on 3/9 in the Haven, and I sincerely hope we don't encounter the issues finding a lounger we did around the main pools on past cruises. That's one of the reasons I decided to spend the extra $$$ on the Haven experience; to get away from the chair hogs and enjoy a secluded...well, haven. If I have to compete with folks who are buying day passes to POSH for the price of a dinner in a specialty restaurant, then the whole Haven thing seems like so much marketing malarkey (I knew one day I would get to use that word).

You will be fine. The only times I have heard this happening was on a Christmas cruise or President's cruise. Cruises that have a large amount of children pushes people out of the Courtyard area to the Posh area.

You will love the Epic Haven and all it's perks. After the Epic try cruising on the Jewel, Pearl or Gem haven...that is where you will enjoy a complete tranquil secluded haven.

Enjoy your cruise!