Enchantment Centrum VS Voyager class Promenade

4merlurker

One of the things we loved about Explorer was the promenade. People watching, bars, cafe... What exactly is the "centrum" on the enchantment? what does it offer? It it just a circlular area around the stairs - most pictures posted either look up or down LOL -

Thanks Aquahound - Thats what I thought. That area on the Dawn was always dim and sooooooo crowded. Never really hung out there....didn't notice decor or anything. Just a place to walk thru to get somewhere. I was hoping the centrum would be a little more memorable. - I did read that it was very bright? Lots of windows?

Thanks Aquahound - Thats what I thought. That area on the Dawn was always dim and sooooooo crowded. Never really hung out there....didn't notice decor or anything. Just a place to walk thru to get somewhere. I was hoping the centrum would be a little more memorable. - I did read that it was very bright? Lots of windows?

It is definitely brighter than Dawn. But I wouldn't say it's all that memorable. I'm afraid, like on Dawn, it's more a walk thru than hang out. In no way can it compare to the Royal Promenade. Still a very pretty ship though.

I agree that it is not close to the promenade but it is a nice area.

During drydock, the tiered floor arrangement of the former Centrum was demolished. A new level Centrum is now in place and it is a center where they do hold several activities throughout the day and early evening. When activities are not happening, it does become a quieter place. Cooking demos, dance classes, Seventies parties..were a few of the events held in this area. Some of the upper levels of the Centrum have seating around the balcony so that people can sit there and watch the activites. It certainly changed the Centrum into a more useable space - especially sailing from a colder port in the winter when a deck party could be quite chilly.

I'll give the other side. I've sailed predominately on Grandeur and Enchantment (38 times on these two ships) and have been on Mariner. To me the prominade on Mariner was dark and dreary with no place to see the outside without being in a bar (I don't drink). The centrum is light and airy. With the revitalization it has 2 floors of seating and being able to look out at the ocean or watch the musicians in the centrum with the music without feeling like you need to have something in hand to drink. It's a nice place to sit and people watch or read a book during the day. Especially now that they've moved the art auctions to the South Pacific Lounge it tends to be quiter and a nicer place to spend the day on cooler days, or if you are like me, any day if you aren't a water person (ie don't want to spend the day by the pool) and haven't booked a balcony. Being able to see from deck 4-10 is wonderful. Given a choice I won't sail anything other than a vision or radiance class ship. I like the centrum that much. To me the prominade looks to much like a shopping mall and I have to many nice ones around my house - why pay to go on a ship to shop (just a personal opinion)?

I'll give the other side. I've sailed predominately on Grandeur and Enchantment (38 times on these two ships) and have been on Mariner. To me the prominade on Mariner was dark and dreary with no place to see the outside without being in a bar (I don't drink). The centrum is light and airy. With the revitalization it has 2 floors of seating and being able to look out at the ocean or watch the musicians in the centrum with the music without feeling like you need to have something in hand to drink. It's a nice place to sit and people watch or read a book during the day. Especially now that they've moved the art auctions to the South Pacific Lounge it tends to be quiter and a nicer place to spend the day on cooler days, or if you are like me, any day if you aren't a water person (ie don't want to spend the day by the pool) and haven't booked a balcony. Being able to see from deck 4-10 is wonderful. Given a choice I won't sail anything other than a vision or radiance class ship. I like the centrum that much. To me the prominade looks to much like a shopping mall and I have to many nice ones around my house - why pay to go on a ship to shop (just a personal opinion)?

Ditto your post!!!!!!!! We have cruised on the Explorer several times and just recently jumped ship from Bayonne and cruised on the Enchantment out of Baltimore for the first time.

As much as the Royal Prominade on the Explorer is an amazing venue we absolutely loved the Centrum on the Enchantment. All the day light with windows surrounding, comfortable lounges, the music and levels to enjoy and watch the activities with views of being at sea made it really comforting and relaxing. We loved hearing the beautiful music in the Centrum as we walked from our stateroom to the elevator or stopped and listened over the rotunda rail.........very unique design and much appreciated. As for shopping on the Enchantment the shopping area is separate and has the usual Mall feeling and is not a a part of the Centrum..........good thinking RCI.

Another vote for the Enchantment Centrum. I think of the ships with Promenades as having a mall down the middle.

A centrum is more of a gathering spot, usually in the evening with live music. Now with the new bar set up, it looks like it will also be a great spot for cocktails.

It is definitely brighter than Dawn. But I wouldn't say it's all that memorable. I'm afraid, like on Dawn, it's more a walk thru than hang out. In no way can it compare to the Royal Promenade. Still a very pretty ship though.

I have to agree. DW and I were counting up our cruises and The Enchantment of the Seas was one I had forgotten about completely.:eek:

Archived