Gps

mrbill62

I used my old Blackberry 9650 and zipped it up in a Ziploc bag and left it on the balcony. I recorded the entire 7-day path of our ship. I then load it into Google Earth and see where the ship went while I was asleep.

Make sure you get an application that does not require a cellular connection (unless you have a data plan that is acceptable in your ports.) I use TrekBuddy.

We take a GPS everywhere - primarily for geocaching.

But if you have the GPS apps on a smart phone (depending on where you live and your data plan) then you can "mark" the location of the meeting points and never worry about getting lost. Those same apps can also be useful for finding recommended shops and out of the way stores.

Cheers,

B

I take my Garmin with us on cruises. It doesn't use any data connections so no roaming cell data charges which can be expensive. My North American preloaded maps covers all of the Caribbean islands and most ports. I haven't taken it yet on a cruise that stops in Cozumel so I hope it works there for our cruise on the Jewel.:D

One of my cameras has GPS in it. Its a pretty cool feature. I can take a picture, load it up on my MBP or iPad and iPhoto shows where the photo was taken. This is another way to track your movements on the ship.

I haven't, but would consider it for a European cruise that visited large cities where we were doing things "on our own" (walking or driving) or a Caribbean/other cruise where we were driving in some confusing areas. Most Caribbean islands are small enough that driving wouldn't be an issue unless we were going somewhere off the beaten path.

We take a GPS everywhere - primarily for geocaching.

But if you have the GPS apps on a smart phone (depending on where you live and your data plan) then you can "mark" the location of the meeting points and never worry about getting lost. Those same apps can also be useful for finding recommended shops and out of the way stores.

Cheers,

B

What is geocaching?

What is geocaching?

Sort of a worldwide, GPS based treasure hunt - where the "treasure" is the actual finding of the geocache... I've been doing it for about five years, takes me to some unusual and fantastic places around the world that I never would have discovered on my own. Also gets you some very strange looks from strangers when you are trying hard to be secretive but seeking something tiny under a bench, or in a bush, or behind a sign....

http://www.geocaching.com

Robin

Sort of a worldwide, GPS based treasure hunt - where the "treasure" is the actual finding of the geocache... I've been doing it for about five years, takes me to some unusual and fantastic places around the world that I never would have discovered on my own. Also gets you some very strange looks from strangers when you are trying hard to be secretive but seeking something tiny under a bench, or in a bush, or behind a sign....

http://www.geocaching.com

Robin

Thanks for the info, looks like fun

Archived