I Like Warm Beaches and Drinks with Umbrellas...So What's with the Icebergs?

SailorJack

From your hilarious blog to your incredible photos, a SailorJack (& SailorJill) report is an experience NOT TO BE MISSED! :D

Thanks, once again, for a most entertaining and enlightening report.

Glad you enjoyed it...I am uploading the last of my pictures this week-end and should be posting them tomorrow.

This monument in Stanly commemorates a naval battle in 1914 off the coast of the Falklands in which the Royal Navy defeated a German fleet

327.jpg

This is the wreck of the Jhelum - a sailing ship carrying a load of guano that was sunk in the harbor in 1870. Until recently there was a small bridge that let people walk out to the wreck, but it was deemed unsafe and dismantled.

329-1.jpg

The town hall. Notice the old British style phone booths still in operation.

336.jpg

Anyone care to guess the name of the town's newspaper?

DSCN1165.jpg

Government house - one of the more "modern" looking structures in Stanley.

333.jpg

:)

The photos are great. For me, the name of the newspaper was a surprise, I was expecting something more british sounding.:D

We both had a chuckle over the name -hence the photo. There was a lot of "old England" on the island, but not in naming the paper.:)

i was so excited to see you had a review out. too funny....you did not disappoint!! amazing photos....who knew Antarctica was so breathaking. thank you so much for sharing.

Glad you enjoyed it. While I was expecting something beautiful, we did not expect to see such an amazing place. It certainly exceeded our expectations. It is a place I think that most people should consider placing on their "bucket list."

Great pictures and another hilarious review.:D Hoping your next cruise is soon!

Next cruise won't be for about a year - going to Tahiti in April of next year.

If you have read any of my other reviews you know that I usually get up to the walking track around 3 AM and walk for a couple of hours. In the process I am usually privy to viewing some terrific sunrises. Our approach to Puerto Madryn was welcomed by a beautiful morning.

345.jpg

375.jpg

356.jpg

351.jpg

An finally, the city of Puerto Madryn

376.jpg

Puerto Madryn is a rather ( I hate to use the word) nondescript city. It really didn't have anything that set it apart from other small cities, but it did have a certain ambiance - imparted mostly by the very personable and friendly citizens. One of the very nice things about the city was the tree lined waterfront walkway.

384.jpg

A typical street scene in Puerto Madryn. There were no high rises, but the streets and stores were crowded and buzzed with activity.

398.jpg

Proof that fire fighters are revered around the world. This statue honoring the city's fire fighters was in a small park a couple of blocks off the main drag.

395.jpg

The obligatory picture of the Infinity docked in Puerto Madryn.

386.jpg

I took this picture of a ship at anchor in the harbor because it just looked serene. It had a quiet and lonely look to it - a sort of juxtaposition to the hurried activity in the city.

389.jpg

:eek:

Puerto Madryn is a rather ( I hate to use the word) nondescript city. It really didn't have anything that set it apart from other small cities, but it did have a certain ambiance - imparted mostly by the very personable and friendly citizens. One of the very nice things about the city was the tree lined waterfront walkway.

I hope it is not just my Friday afternoon cocktails, but those trees seem to be listing quite noticeably to port!??? OR is it Starboard!!?? Maybe it is my cocktais!!!:eek:

Great Pictures again!

Edited by Havana Daydreamin
Forgetfulness or cocktails?

I hope it is not just my Friday afternoon cocktails, but those trees seem to be listing quite noticeably to port!??? OR is it Starboard!!?? Maybe it is my cocktais!!!:eek:

Great Pictures again!

Agree, must be the trees though as I have not been drinking.:D

Great Pictures again!

It may be me. I took this shot after a few cold ones and perhaps I was listing a few degrees to the left when I snapped the shutter.:D

Actually, if you want to see trees leaning, visit Aruba. The constant winds there have given the trees a definite bent.

PS. If Grouchy is still following this thread I am uploading a picture just for you.:)

Edited by SailorJack

It may be me. I took this shot after a few cold ones and perhaps I was listing a few degrees to the left when I snapped the shutter.:D

Actually, if you want to see trees leaning, visit Aruba. The constant winds there have given the trees a definite bent.

PS. If Grouchy is still following this thread I am uploading a picture just for you.:)

Trees on a bender.:D

This first photo is for Grouchy who earlier asked the question "Where are the penguins?"

100_1285.jpg

100_1284.jpg

100_1290.jpg

If Havana is where old cars go to die, then Puerto Madryn must be where old ships go to die. The harbor was littered with them!

402.jpg

And just in case you were wondering whatever happened to the Maria Dolores - she is in Pureto Madryn.

401.jpg

I suppose they strip the ships down for scrap there. Nice and close to the penguins, where were they? Tumba?:D

Not Tumba. Not sure if the area had a name. We got a taxi in town and the driver said he could take us to see penguins about a half hour to 45 minute drive away. I think it was somewhere north of the city whereas Tumba is South.

LOVE the penguins! So adorable! Thanks for posting them.

They are cute little things. Awkward on land, but very quick once in the water.

Not Tumba. Not sure if the area had a name. We got a taxi in town and the driver said he could take us to see penguins about a half hour to 45 minute drive away. I think it was somewhere north of the city whereas Tumba is South.

They are cute little things. Awkward on land, but very quick once in the water.

Thanks, I may look into doing that instead, that way we are not on a bus for 3 hours each way with an shorex. :D

We have arrived in Montevideo, perhaps my favorite South American city (next to Lima, Peru.) The first photos are of the downtown area as seen from the harbor entrance.

527.jpg

504.jpg

507.jpg

The first thing when you see when you get off the ship is the range finder for the Admiral Graf Spee - a German Pocket Battleship that was scuttled in the harbor in 1939. Various parts of the ship have been raised and are now displayed around the city.

419.jpg

This is a children's park and one of the small guns from the Graf Spee is used as an amusement piece in the park.

464.jpg