I Like Warm Beaches and Drinks with Umbrellas...So What's with the Icebergs?

SailorJack

The Cape Horn Lighthouse has to be one of the most desolate habitats in the world. We are informed that it is inhabited by a family of three - a father, mother and daughter. There is absolutely no truth to the rumor that the daughter rowed out to our boat screaming, "Take me with you, PLEASE!)

136.jpg

This is the Albatros memorial dedicated to the sailors who perished while sailing around Cape Horn.

137.jpg

A close up of the memorial. As you can see it is actually two sculpures with the image of the Albatross formed by the gap between the two. The dedication reads:

I, the albatross that awaits for you at the end of the world...

I, the forgotten soul of the sailors lost that crossed Cape Horn from all the seas of the world.

But die they did not

in the fierce waves,

for today towards eternity

in my wings they soar

in the last crevice

of the Antarctic winds

Sara Vial

Dec - 1992

140.jpg

Our last view of the islands around Cape Horn before the ship turns and heads for Antarctica.

145.jpg

Our first view of Antarctica. There was heavy fog in the morning, but it lifted just as we were about to enter the Gerlache Straight. For us onboard, it was a dramatic sight! Notice how calm the seas were.

211.jpg

151.jpg

Not a result of editing...the fog gave my pictures a blue tint.

159.jpg

153.jpg

Here you can see the beginning a spill where the snow breaks away from the snow bank and cascades into the sea. We saw a couple of these minature avalanches.

154.jpg

Your pictures are amazing. You had lots more snow than we did in January/Feb when we were there. Capt. Johnny and Abe left the ship for a short visit with the family staying at that time...then we resumed the sailing. Truly an itinerary that I would love to do again and would certainly recommend.

Your pictures are amazing. You had lots more snow than we did in January/Feb when we were there. Capt. Johnny and Abe left the ship for a short visit with the family staying at that time...then we resumed the sailing. Truly an itinerary that I would love to do again and would certainly recommend.

Visiting the family would have been very cool...too bad they did not make a shore excursion out of it! Sorry about the snow.:(

Jack

Visiting the family would have been very cool...too bad they did not make a shore excursion out of it! Sorry about the snow.:(

Jack

I'm sure they don't get many visitors! --probably one of the main reasons that caretakers rotate so often.

Maybe her dad could take her to the prom with her mum as the chaperone.:D

You know, I was thinking the same thing, except for the chaperone part.:) The only trouble is that there would be no Denny's or IHOP to go to for breakfast.

WOW!! That last series of pictures are AWESOME!!!!

Thanks for leaving them "as is" with the blue tint. They are very special.

And also, THANKS for such an entertaining read at the beginning!

You are truly blessed!

Glad you enjoyed them. I have uploaded some more and will post them today.

We are nearing the end of the Gerlache Strait and getting ready to turn towards Paradise Bay. Picture yourself standing out on deck and seeing scenes like this in any direction you turn. It really was magical.

Here you can see where the fog is starting to settle again before lifting up for good.

162.jpg

A large piece of ice and snow caved off here. You can see some of it floating in the water. I always pictured Antarctica as being quiet, but you can hear the ice and snow cracking, moving and cascading into the sea.

171.jpg

163.jpg

Our first iceberg! (They get bigger).

160.jpg

169.jpg

Edited by SailorJack

We have arrived at Paradise Bay. The ship stopped here for several hours so we could take in the beauty of this spot. Huge mountains, penguin rookeries, and breathtaking scenery. It was a magnificent stop.

257.jpg

203.jpg

This is the sight of a penguin rookerie. You can tell by how the snow has been stained by the penguins. Suprisingly, some of the "stain" is actually also algae growth on the snow.

DSCN1139.jpg

The bay was sheltered by mountains on three sides..look how calm the water is inside the bay.

DSCN1137.jpg

246.jpg

Our approach to Ushuaia - the Southern most city in the world - with the Andes Mountains in the background.

054.jpg

The harbor.

055.jpg

The town itself.

062.jpg

The town was ringed by mountains - providing spectacular views.

059.jpg

060.jpg

Every time i look at you px I augh because i never saw the Andes ...right there in all your pix . They were completely hidden by big big rain clouds .i went to Beagle channel under a deluge of rain . I cannot remember ever being that wet !!!

like i said I never saw the andes anywhere !!!...some cruise!!

Hey Jack - just reread your hilarious review of when you rammed the cargo ship...do you have any pictures you could post of that? all the ones on the review have disappeared.

I really enjoy your writing - leaving Sunday on the Silhouette, hope we don't hit anything other than a jackpot at the slots!

Hey Jack - just reread your hilarious review of when you rammed the cargo ship...do you have any pictures you could post of that? all the ones on the review have disappeared.

I really enjoy your writing - leaving Sunday on the Silhouette, hope we don't hit anything other than a jackpot at the slots!

I posted the pictures of the damage over on the Dream review...didn't think they were appropriate for this string. Don't know what happened to the others. Bon Voyage! Have a great trip!

Jack

Edited by SailorJack

I posted the pictures of the damage over on the Dream review...didn't think they were appropriate for this string. Don't know what happened to the others. Bon Voyage! Have a great trip!

Jack

thanks SailorJack - looks like they hit pretty hard.

thanks SailorJack - looks like they hit pretty hard.

I agree, it had to be a hard blow, but we did not feel the collision in our cabin. The only way I knew we had done something was due to the fact that a couple of the cars were banging against the side of the ship as the Dream sailed through the wreckage. Hearing the banging we ran up to the top deck to see what was happening.

SailorJack, my eyes are streaming, I haven't laughed so much in a long....time!

Thanks

Glad you enjoyed it!

Jack

Is there anything better on a dreary work day than secretly reading a SailorJack review when I should be toiling away on stuff that no one else would ever read unless under duress??? No, I don't work for the gov't, only a lawyer;)

Just what the doctor ordered. Can't wait to share with DH :D:D:D

Is there anything better on a dreary work day than secretly reading a SailorJack review when I should be toiling away on stuff that no one else would ever read unless under duress??? No, I don't work for the gov't, only a lawyer;)

Just what the doctor ordered. Can't wait to share with DH :D:D:D

I can certainly sympathize with dreary work days...one reason I took early retirement and started to cruise! At least you get to hear a lot of lawyer jokes!:)