I Like Warm Beaches and Drinks with Umbrellas...So What's with the Icebergs?

SailorJack

Where are the pictures of the iceburgs and antartica

The resting place of perhaps one of Argentina's most notable personalities - Eva Peron. It is difficult to find her tomb in the cemetary until one remembers that her family name was "Duarte." It is under that name that she is buried. Our guide tells us that her body actually lies two levels below the mausoleum - in a sub basement...for security reasons. Flowers and mementos are almost always left here by admirers.

045.jpg

047.jpg

Eva's likeness can be found all over Buenos Aires. This is simply known as the "Evita Building." It lights up at night and the image changes with diferent poses.

019-Copy.jpg

Our approach to Ushuaia - the Southern most city in the world - with the Andes Mountains in the background.

054.jpg

The harbor.

055.jpg

The town itself.

062.jpg

The town was ringed by mountains - providing spectacular views.

059.jpg

060.jpg

Great photos!!!!!

The mountains are gorgeous!

How cold was it in the town, itself?

Actually, it wasn't that bad. Probably in the 30's when we first got off the ship, but it warmed up into what I would guess to be the upper 40's or lower 50's by noon. People with us who were doing a back to back said they had been here the week before and it was shorts and t-shirt weather.

Ushuaia is the jumping off place for most ships that leave for Antartica. Here two ships are preparing for the trip. The larger one is the National Geographic Explorer.

071.jpg

If you notice all the very small hut-like buildings in the foreground - they are all selling tours and trips to Antarctica and places in Tierra del Fuego. We were amazed at the number of back-packers that were looking at camping/trekking/back-packing trips into the interior. If you can see the small yellow building at the very top of the photo - that is the really good bar with the really cold beer!

065.jpg

The Infinity at the dock with the Explorer in the foreground. Notice how calm the water is...the port is really very protected.

073.jpg

I guess the Argentinian Navy still has a few ships. Here is the Ushuaia Naval Station. I was going to crop the picture to highlight the ships, but the mountains in the background were just too majestic to cut out.

072.jpg

This was a mural in town depicting the indiginous tribes that first inhabited the area and gave rise to the name Tierra del Fuego. We did not take a lot of pictures in the town ofUshuaia because there was just not that much (to us, at least) that was photogenic.

074.jpg

Edited by SailorJack

Sailor jack, what a great read and pics, any chance at getting a link to all your pics.

Norma

Glad you enjoyed it. Unfortuately I cannot provide a link as we have a privacy setting on our pic account. :( However, almost all of the pictures I upload are eventually posted on my reviews.

In Ushuaia we took an 8 hour trip into Tierra del Feugo - an absolutely stunning trip. Here are a few shots of the sights one sees in the National Park.

076.jpg

This is the Beagle Channel, a short-cut between the two oceans without having to round the Horn.

080.jpg

Just another view.

079.jpg

This was another one of our stops to view the fauna in the park. The small boat you see approaching is one of the shore excursion boats that you can take to actually sail on the Channel.

087.jpg

This is Bahia Ensenada. It is the sight of a small Indian village and had a small shop where you could have a postcard mailed from the end of the world.

084.jpg

Our approach to Ushuaia - the Southern most city in the world - with the Andes Mountains in the background.

054.jpg

The harbor.

055.jpg

The town itself.

062.jpg

The town was ringed by mountains - providing spectacular views.

059.jpg

060.jpg

I looked at your FABULOUS pix and remem,ber I never saw the ANDES Mountains so prominent in yours ...LOL.....ours hid perpetually behind thick clouds and buckets of rain !!!!! Never even knew they were right there !!!!WHAT A HOOT !!!!

Michele

I looked at your FABULOUS pix and remem,ber I never saw the ANDES Mountains so prominent in yours ...LOL.....ours hid perpetually behind thick clouds and buckets of rain !!!!! Never even knew they were right there !!!!WHAT A HOOT !!!!

Michele

It is really a shame to go all that way and miss such a fabulous view, but I hear the same can happen if you go to Mt McKinley in Alaska. The vagarities of nature! Hopefully you will have much better weather on your next trip. You have decided to go again have you not?

Jack

It is really a shame to go all that way and miss such a fabulous view, but I hear the same can happen if you go to Mt McKinley in Alaska. The vagarities of nature! Hopefully you will have much better weather on your next trip. You have decided to go again have you not?

Jack

We were on the Azamara Antarctica cruise just prior to yours and loved it...if anyone has the chance to go, it's a must do! We were lucky to have 3 glorious days in Ant. and sun in the Falklands...did miss Cape Horn and Ushia (sp) though...rough seas!

Thanks for a fun review...

We were on the Azamara Antarctica cruise just prior to yours and loved it...if anyone has the chance to go, it's a must do! We were lucky to have 3 glorious days in Ant. and sun in the Falklands...did miss Cape Horn and Ushia (sp) though...rough seas!

Thanks for a fun review...

I am sorry you missed the cape and Ushuaia, but it is hard to beat three good days in Antartica! I mentioned it earlier, but we met someone on our cruise that had been to Ant. On two previous trips and never saw anything due to fog!

After we left the lowlands we proceded up into the foothills of the Andes on Route 3 which connects Usuhaia with Buenos Aires. Again, the scenes were impressive.

103.jpg

106.jpg

098.jpg

These last two photos are from Paso Garibaldi, the highest point of the pass and looks down of Lakes Escondido and Fagamo. That is Escondido in the foreground.

107.jpg

115.jpg

Our first glimpse of Cape Horn. It got foggy just after the sun came up, so the pictures are a little fogged, but you can get the feel of how rugged and isolated this area is. Cape Horn is actually not the furtherest land mass of South America, but it is the Northern boundry for the Drake Passage - the route that ships took when going from the Pacific to the Atlantic Ocean (and vice versa).

128.jpg

121.jpg

122.jpg

123.jpg

Sailor Jack

Just back from the Century Hawaii cruise. We needed warm clothes and very good sea legs and Hawaii wasn't all that hot (it rained all day in Oahu) but great whale watching in Maui.

Sherrill Ontario Cruiser

P.S. I guess we had better stick to the Caribbean. What are you booked on next. We are doing the crossing on the Emerald Apr 26th and crossing on the Eclipse Nov 3rd. Haven't decided on next winter yet.

Sailor Jack

Just back from the Century Hawaii cruise. We needed warm clothes and very good sea legs and Hawaii wasn't all that hot (it rained all day in Oahu) but great whale watching in Maui.

Sherrill Ontario Cruiser

P.S. I guess we had better stick to the Caribbean. What are you booked on next. We are doing the crossing on the Emerald Apr 26th and crossing on the Eclipse Nov 3rd. Haven't decided on next winter yet.

Welcome back! Sorry to hear about the weather in Oahu. I have heard from several people that they ran into rain in Hawaii in the last week or so, but good to hear about the whale watching. We had good luck with seeing whales in Antartica - as well as Las Vegas (but that's another story).

We have not booked anything yet, but we are looking at the Solstice from Sydney to Oahu in April of next year or a Princess ship from Tahiti to Oahu about the same time. Have not decided which one. No more cruises this year as we have a lot going on. Sounds like you have two great trips coming up...we love crossings because of the relaxing sea days. Bon Voyage! I know you will have a great time.

Jack

Great review and very entertaining. Fantastic pictures as well. We are doing this cruise next year so your insights have been very rewarding. Thanks:D

I envy your upcoming trip. We were so entralled with the cruise that we may do it again in the future - maybe on a smaller ship so that we can actually go ashore.