I Like Warm Beaches and Drinks with Umbrellas...So What's with the Icebergs?

SailorJack

Sailor Jack as usual loved your review

My poor South America cruise was a dud from start to finish ...I could go into details which I did yesterday before cyberspace swallowed my composition so too tired to try again Suffice it to say we missed most ports due to stormswe rocked and rolled everwherethe Andes mountains chose to hide behind thick clouds so .i never saw them .....ever .....I kid you not

Got robbed at the airport ......

Got cheated repeatedly in .buenos aires ..felt totally unsafe everywhere

as much as i would love to see Antarctica i would love to if I could skip South America

our ship captain was doom and gloom never anything pleasant to report re weather or ports ....He did leave after our cruise ....had had enough ...He wasvery verbal of his dislike of around the cape cruise .you would think Princess would have sent him elsewhere !!!

But glad you enjoyed ....Re iInfinity ...it is like Millie ....wonderful ship with T poool All ships should. Have free t pools ...what bliss for achy muscles

Unfortunately they sent millie too far

Welcome back Thank you for my smile

Because of you I dreamt i saw all these boats under water ....apparently they kept them. That way in winter ....safe under water ...very nice yachts and sailboats ...water was clear I guess your description of the Argentinian navy spurred that on ....LOL

Welcome back fellowCanuck I GUESS NOW Canada does not seemthat cold ...right ??

Michele

WOW. I normally think of myself as rather upbeat, but I don't know how I would have handled the situations you faced! You should buy one of those T-shirts that reads, "I Survived A Cruise to Antarctica.....":D

You are right about Canada not seeming that cold now. It sort of puts it in perspective dosen't it! Hope the recent storms in your part of the world missed you...parts of the NE in the US got hammered.

Take care Michele...

Jack

I was on Noordam recently and hubby told me while I was away we had balmy weather of minus 30 or 40 depending which way the wind blew ....so glad I missed it

Plus lots and lots of snow ?Poor guy hasnit stopped shoveling since Dec .this year is a whopper !! We shovel just in time for another big stORM .....oh yea we are gettinganother one later todaty ....tomorrw ...this weekend ...ENoUgh ...Mr winter ...you have overstayed your welcome ...time to go ....now .....right now ..

And i am not allowed to complaini was awaymore than 3 weeks ...but I do need to walk rocky and we both do not like the cold . He raises his paw for me to dust his paws ..free of snow .now who has who well trained ...pray do tell ..my dog is brilliant ...just lie his mistress LOL

I saw Canada geese near the river ...are theynuts there is no food just snow everywherev.i think their compass is farshimeld

Where is your next one ...iM thinking this summer on Nieuw Amsterdam to Istanbul but right now too expensive

Last year they had a special for med on Noordam ....loved it ...some of the heat ...not so,much ...Tunisia was a scorcher ...wow ...freaky heat..but i still enjoyed it all

Michele

Keep on writing

I had never thought about that approach...how original of you! I have also thought about seeing if the local comedy clubs have an open mike night. The only trouble with that is that if I really bomb, I might see these people around town again. Not like on a ship where you will never see them again.:)

I've been trying to get on at an open mic since then. Being able to promote the event knowing we were guaranteed an appearance meant we could get more friends and family to attend. Bonus being, if I died on stage, they could just do the reading of the will right there. ;)

That was hysterical! We were on your cruise and had some of the same feelings (i.e. people taking pictures of chairs, people taking people or people taking pictures and of course............trying to say Ushuaia). Thanks for the laugh!

happy to say that we were fellow cruise buds with Jack&Jill on this sailing.....if you think he is funny in postings, then I wish for you to have the pleasure of both his and Jill's company in person!

we had a festive pre-cruise dinner with them in BA (which didn't make his review) but sad to say, we later lost them in the fog....we are trying not to take it personally, but really, Infinity is not that big a ship. Maybe we just didn't frequent the same libation outlets? (we really missed you!)

The only glaring omission from his review (other than Puerto Madryn, which was the dusty penguin version of the soggy Falklands) was the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to make the 4X4 caravan trek to Volunteer Point in the outback of the Falklands, to see the thousands of Magellanic and Gentoo penguies, but mostly to gaze upon the majestic Kings....even in person, these magnificent birds look like they are photoshopped into your view.

During the 90 minute (each way) bone-rattling, teeth-jarring, butt-bouncing ride across muddy peaty ruts so deep you could (and we did) lose a bumper or mire a wheel in them, and have to rely on your fellow (jeering) drivers to pull you out, we had serious doubts about the sanity of enduring this ride just to see little black and white critters whose main activities are the eating and pooping of fish and krill (and if you didn't know this fact before, you certainly did once you got downwind of the hoards). I spent most of the trip fighting the seatbelt that was threatening to choke me, and trying not to do anything that would constitute sexual harassment of the fellow trekker seated next to me.....and wondering how many chiropractic appointments it would take to get my spine back into alignment. The ship's masseuses must make a killing the day after Falklands!

But yes, it was worth it. I still don't know why, in any way that I could explain to anyone who hasn't experienced it, or to anyone who is considering experiencing it.....it was one of the most magical moments of the cruise, second only to the intense quiet and incredible visuals of doing a 360 degree turn in Paradise Bay among the whales and the bitty bergs, viewing a frozen land that showed little evidence of human influence.

Since Jack didn't have this perspective of the Falklands, I thought I would just put in my 50 Argentinian pesos' worth (once you do the conversion, you will know exactly what that is)......the best tour offered out to Volunteer Point is the Patrick Watts tour, and it books up fast, so don't wait, if you want your own Mr Toad's Wild Ride. We were so fortunate that the weather out on the Point was mild and breezy......it was astonishing to arrive back into Port Stanley to 32F degree weather, wind howling, raining sideways, with only enough time to get in line to board the tenders back to the ship (we heard rumors later that if the conditions in the AM had been that of the afternoon, we most likely would not have been tendered ashore.....the disappointment would have been acute!). That meant no Falklands pub experience, no Jack&Jill sighting opp, and no bragging rights for all of the UXB mines we dodged.

Maybe our cruising future holds yet another encounter with them....I would at least like to see how his tango moves have stood the test of time. My money is on Jill...her role as adult supervision deserves its own thread!

Thank you, SailorJack, for another interesting and amusing review. It brought back memories for me, as we did a Round-the-Horn cruise on Infinity 3 years ago.

We had fog as we went down the east coast of S. America and calm seas everywhere, even going round the Horn. Our itinerary did not go to Antarctica, so I particulalry enoyed your description of it.

happy to say that we were fellow cruise buds with Jack&Jill on this sailing.....if you think he is funny in postings, then I wish for you to have the pleasure of both his and Jill's company in person!

we had a festive pre-cruise dinner with them in BA (which didn't make his review) but sad to say, we later lost them in the fog....we are trying not to take it personally, but really, Infinity is not that big a ship. Maybe we just didn't frequent the same libation outlets? (we really missed you!)

The only glaring omission from his review (other than Puerto Madryn, which was the dusty penguin version of the soggy Falklands) was the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to make the 4X4 caravan trek to Volunteer Point in the outback of the Falklands, to see the thousands of Magellanic and Gentoo penguies, but mostly to gaze upon the majestic Kings....even in person, these magnificent birds look like they are photoshopped into your view.

During the 90 minute (each way) bone-rattling, teeth-jarring, butt-bouncing ride across muddy peaty ruts so deep you could (and we did) lose a bumper or mire a wheel in them, and have to rely on your fellow (jeering) drivers to pull you out, we had serious doubts about the sanity of enduring this ride just to see little black and white critters whose main activities are the eating and pooping of fish and krill (and if you didn't know this fact before, you certainly did once you got downwind of the hoards). I spent most of the trip fighting the seatbelt that was threatening to choke me, and trying not to do anything that would constitute sexual harassment of the fellow trekker seated next to me.....and wondering how many chiropractic appointments it would take to get my spine back into alignment. The ship's masseuses must make a killing the day after Falklands!

But yes, it was worth it. I still don't know why, in any way that I could explain to anyone who hasn't experienced it, or to anyone who is considering experiencing it.....it was one of the most magical moments of the cruise, second only to the intense quiet and incredible visuals of doing a 360 degree turn in Paradise Bay among the whales and the bitty bergs, viewing a frozen land that showed little evidence of human influence.

Since Jack didn't have this perspective of the Falklands, I thought I would just put in my 50 Argentinian pesos' worth (once you do the conversion, you will know exactly what that is)......the best tour offered out to Volunteer Point is the Patrick Watts tour, and it books up fast, so don't wait, if you want your own Mr Toad's Wild Ride. We were so fortunate that the weather out on the Point was mild and breezy......it was astonishing to arrive back into Port Stanley to 32F degree weather, wind howling, raining sideways, with only enough time to get in line to board the tenders back to the ship (we heard rumors later that if the conditions in the AM had been that of the afternoon, we most likely would not have been tendered ashore.....the disappointment would have been acute!). That meant no Falklands pub experience, no Jack&Jill sighting opp, and no bragging rights for all of the UXB mines we dodged.

Maybe our cruising future holds yet another encounter with them....I would at least like to see how his tango moves have stood the test of time. My money is on Jill...her role as adult supervision deserves its own thread!

Agreed that Volunteer Point with Patrick Watts was INCREDIBLE. An experience that I will never forget. Our 4x4 lost a bumper too and then the truck behind us got stuck. Guess we made too big of a rutt.

...Plus lots and lots of snow ?Poor guy hasnit stopped shoveling since Dec .this year is a whopper !! We shovel just in time for another big stORM .....oh yea we are gettinganother one later todaty ....tomorrw ...this weekend ...ENoUgh ...Mr winter ...you have overstayed your welcome ...time to go ....now .....right now ..

And i am not allowed to complaini was awaymore than 3 weeks ...but I do need to walk rocky and we both do not like the cold . He raises his paw for me to dust his paws ..free of snow .now who has who well trained ...pray do tell ..my dog is brilliant ...just lie his mistress LOL

I saw Canada geese near the river ...are theynuts there is no food just snow everywherev.i think their compass is farshimeld ...

Today's snow isn't quite as fun to shovel... I'd rather have 30cm of powder than 20cm of heavy, wet snow (but then we don't get a choice, eh). This morning it was ice blowing sideways, and our dog took one look as the door opened and said, "thank you, no." :rolleyes:

Agreed that Volunteer Point with Patrick Watts was INCREDIBLE. An experience that I will never forget. Our 4x4 lost a bumper too and then the truck behind us got stuck. Guess we made too big of a rutt.

yep, that was us, stuck in the muck! (our driver was NOT happy....she had to buy beer for all the other drivers for being the first for getting "bogged")

and we have a video of your lost bumper being loaded onto the other vehicle's roof, if you would like it!

it was a hoot of a day!

Yea! A new Sailor Jack review! I plan on savoring it with a nice Laphroig, neat, of course! :D

You know your brands! Laphroig is always a favorite! As I mentioned in my review the ship had a Watch and Scotch event with three different scotches, but did not include any single malts.:cool:

I started laughing so hard, DH had to finish reading it aloud. Thanks for the great review.

Glad you enjoyed it.:)

Thanks SailorJack, your reviews are always a kick! Can't wait to see your pictures!!

I am still editing the photos, so it is going to take a bit longer.

I just have to say a big thank you for making my night so special. It was so funny and appreciated your humor. We were on a SA cruise and saw the same things. I even took pictures of chairs and icebergs. Thanks again. Pat

I think I may be guilty of taking a few photos of icebergs...but definetly no chairs!:)

Well Sailor Jack & Jill, when are we going to cross paths again. Remember sitting in the little pool top of back deck on the Star Princess I think Feb 2010. I keep reading your wonderful reviews.

We are going on the Century next Monday (Mar 4th). Take care and hi to Sailor Jill

Sherrill Ontario Cruiser.:)

Next 2 cruises any chance you will be on either?

Emerald Princess TA April 26th 2013

Celebrity Eclipse TA Nov 3rd 2013

I knew you as soon as I saw your screen name. Jill says to say Hi. She remembers our kiddie pool conversation quite well. I think our next cruise is not going to be until next year - probably a Princess cruise in the South Pacific. Jill wants to go on another Safari - this time to Kruger in South Africa - so that will probably replace our usual fall cruise this year.

This was utterly hilarious. It was almost enough to make me want to take this cruise despite my distaste for cold weather. Almost....

Now that was my first thought as well! But it is only cold for a few days and the experience like totally makes up for it! However it will be a cold day (no pun intended) in hades befoe I do it again...but everyone has to do it one time!

Great review as usual. Glad to hear that you didn't run into any of those rogue ice bergs we talked about.:D

No rogue icebergs. But remember as kids we used to look for figures in the clouds? Well we found ourselves doing the same thing with the icebergs.:D

Infinity is in the M-Class which also consists if the Millennium, Summit and Constellation. Enjoy any and all.

Den

Thanks. I have heard a lot about the "Connie" so I will have to look into that ship.

Here are words I thought I would never type: you have made me want to go to Antarctica. We have always said that someday we would go to Argentina to learn to tango - and pairing it with a cruise like you described sounds like a great adventure.

Hmm, 10th anniversary coming up in a couple years.....

I never thought about going there either...until Jill suggested it. Turns out it was a cruise of a lifetime. You won't regret it. Surely you can come up with a reason to go before your 10th!

Wow! They had "hot steaming mugs of rich Colombian coffee"? Maybe we should try that cruise!

Thanks for the entertaining review.

Well, it might have been a French Somalia blend...but no, I think it was Columbian. Regardless, bundled up on our balcony, the magestic Antarctica in the background, and the ice flows and acquatic sealife drifting by us...it was one of the best cups of coffee I have ever had!

You know your brands! Laphroig is always a favorite! As I mentioned in my review the ship had a Watch and Scotch event with three different scotches, but did not include any single malts.:cool:

Glad you enjoyed it.:)

I am still editing the photos, so it is going to take a bit longer.

I think I may be guilty of taking a few photos of icebergs...but definetly no chairs!:)

I knew you as soon as I saw your screen name. Jill says to say Hi. She remembers our kiddie pool conversation quite well. I think our next cruise is not going to be until next year - probably a Princess cruise in the South Pacific. Jill wants to go on another Safari - this time to Kruger in South Africa - so that will probably replace our usual fall cruise this year.

Have been searching for this review, finally found it, Thanks, it didn't disapoint!! Were you on our Alaska cruise??? the one where we were photographing our dinners??? (or our half eaten dinners, when we had forgotten ourselves??) If you are thinking of Tahiti, we are too, hope maybe someday to meet you and Sailor Jill!! keep those hilarious reviews coming, they are so enjoyable!!

Like a lot of posters in your thread, the thought of such a cold cruise fills me with dread, but you make it sound amazing. The fog makes it all so spooky. Did you ever feel worried about colliding with a chunk of ice?

Thank you for such an enjoyable read. Great sense of humour :D

You should put your reviews together and publish them.

Glad you enjoyed it. We never were worried about hitting anything. Most of the icebergs we saw were relatively small and I suspect that the ship's radar saw the big ones. I may be wrong about this and if I am hopefully someone will correct me, but I think we had a special pilot aboard who was familiar with the passage and provided an extra level of safety.

Bravo! Sign me up. For all of it!! I already wanted to do this itinerary but now there's no doubt. Well minus the pickpocket ... oh wait, I get the hug, right?? Thanks for making me smile and laugh and spew (just a little) this morning. There are no icebergs in my immediate future but there IS a nice Celebrity ship waiting for me in under two weeks.

Judging by Jill's reaction to her hug, the Buenos Aires Chamber of Commerce ought to put "huggers" on all of their subways! Can't guantee you will get one if you go, but one can always hope....:)

Could you please tell me the name of the hotel for Buenos Aires,we are looking for our cruise in 2014.

The hotel we stayed at was the Dazzler Suites Hotel. I think we paid $105 for the room. It is a relatively small hotel and it is the closest one to the Recoleta Cemetary - about 30 yards from the entrance. It is a little bit of a hike to the subway, but it is right in the middle of great shopping and restaurants. The "suite" name is a little deceptive as I would not really call it one, but it did have a fridge, microwave, and eating utensils in a very small kitchen area. It included breakfast and was clean.

OMG. Way too funny. I prefer to be a beach bum but might have to reconsider at least for 1 cruise.

You are singing my song...I prefer the beach but gambled that it would be a good cruise - and it was. Try it....you'll like it!:)

An interesting story, but it might have been a bit more readable had it been a bit more laconic.

Well, that's just my style. You should have seen how long it was before I edited it!:D

My son and I walked in that cemetary and it gave us the creeps ....a city for the dead ...costing millions ....sorry i don.t get it .some of those houses...mausoleums were huge with big statues ...one one of a general on his. Horse

It was really creepy

Brilliant review, thanks!

Not sure it made me want to cruise in the cold again though (Baltic cruise in December was as cold as I want to get!) but if you could post when and where you are next going to holiday, we might tag along!

A sense of humour goes a long way!

Loved your review - it has made me feel a bit better about our forthcoming cruise to Iceland!

You are going to love Iceland. We had a great time there. If you are interested, our visit was detailed in my review of Jewel of the Seas.

TOO FUNNY!!!! I love your style, what an amazing review!! Who cares about the ship, the excursions and the food, THIS is the real deal! Great job!!

As you have noted, I really don't write about the ship so much as our experiences of the cruise. I think it is because so much about the ship - service, food, entertainment, etc. is so subjective. I have seen reviews of the same cruise by two different people with two different perspectives on the ship's condition. What is the old saying...Someone's junk is someone else's treasure?:)

Fantastic review SailorJack! Antarctica is now officially on my bucket list. And I say that despite the 20 cm of fresh snow outside my window...

Well, we don't have snow in Atlanta, but it is cold - highs in the 40s and lows in the 30s. But I will take it over the temps in Antarctica.:D

I've been trying to get on at an open mic since then. Being able to promote the event knowing we were guaranteed an appearance meant we could get more friends and family to attend. Bonus being, if I died on stage, they could just do the reading of the will right there. ;)

That is really very funny!

That really was a very nice dinner. It was just a few blocks from our hotel and the walk down to and from the restaurant was enjoyable. The selected restaurant was also excellent. The company was pleasant...all in all a very enjoyable evening.

We didn't do the Patrick tour so I obviously couldn't comment on it, but from everything I heard people on the tour had a good time.

Jill bought a Tango instructional DVD...so the punishment goes on!:D

Jill says to say HI! and says to tell you she loved your last line.:)

I was on the same cruise and can't wait to see your photos -- serious camera malfunction has all of mine "trapped" in some sort of photographic limbo --

Will watch this thread to see when they appear, or let us know if you upload them somewhere for us to access, please!

I was on the same cruise and can't wait to see your photos -- serious camera malfunction has all of mine "trapped" in some sort of photographic limbo --

Will watch this thread to see when they appear, or let us know if you upload them somewhere for us to access, please!

Find somebody with a recovery program. That happened to me on my very first Celebrity cruise. Fortunately I discovered it while I was on the cruise. Went to the computer center--they said, not to worry, we have a recovery program. Recovered all my whale photos and everything else. With a smile. Made me a serious Celebrity fan!

Find somebody with a recovery program. That happened to me on my very first Celebrity cruise. Fortunately I discovered it while I was on the cruise. Went to the computer center--they said, not to worry, we have a recovery program. Recovered all my whale photos and everything else. With a smile. Made me a serious Celebrity fan!

I AGREE!! I have yet to be on a Celeb cruise that didn't have a great I-Lounge and staff....unfortunately, this cruise didn't have many days with internet availability (I heard several reasons: "hey, we are at the end of the world"....or, there were too many users for the bandwidth, whatever that means)....it was actually kinda nice to be cyber-free for a few days!

Today my brother invited my sisters and I for a gourmet lunch at the ECOLE D"HOTELLERIE in Montreal ....truly not that great ..without showing off my food is tastier ..This nouvelle cuisine stuff leaves a lot to be desired !!! big plates little food ...and feh at best

HOWEVER the reason I bring it up ...is ....because my brother wants us to go Next winter to ....ANTARCTICA meaning South America ...Did I not say South America not for me ???WIERD EH???Insisted we Had to go .....

I would love to go there check out penguins whales etc but how do I skip SA ??

Prices are ridiculous!!! I do prefer TAHITI ...never been want to snorkel there Life is BIZZARRE

Today my brother invited my sisters and I for a gourmet lunch at the ECOLE D"HOTELLERIE in Montreal ....truly not that great ..without showing off my food is tastier ..This nouvelle cuisine stuff leaves a lot to be desired !!! big plates little food ...and feh at best :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

HOWEVER the reason I bring it up ...is ....because my brother wants us to go Next winter to ....ANTARCTICA meaning South America ...Did I not say South America not for me ???WIERD EH???Insisted we Had to go .....

I would love to go there check out penguins whales etc but how do I skip SA ??

Prices are ridiculous!!! I do prefer TAHITI ...never been want to snorkel there Life is BIZZARRE

??????????:confused:

BIZARRE, yes!

Great review, Sailerjack!

Edited by richsea

I don't think anyone can write more entertaining reviews than Sailor Jack!

fully agree! always, a true delight! I still quote 'the nightmare and the dream' - sorry, SailorJack, I prob. just messed up your title... I think it was that review when I first 'discovered' you - included a 'different perspective' on visiting the Falklands, if I'm remembering correctly...absolutely hilarious!

always thrilled when another of your literary works appears! - thanks again for the entertainment, SailorJack!

Edited by theampres