Princess going past volcano's

timetravler

Does Princess take their ships in the evening past the lava flow and volcanos? Right now I am talking about the Grand Princess or the Star Princess when they depart Hilo in the evening. I'm interested in viewing the lava flow and the volcano's from the ship. I hope to hear if the are doing this recently.

We are going to see the Lava flow again off our ROS 12 day Hawaii, April 27, 2014, which disembarks in Vancouver on May 9th of 2014

Itinerary:

27 April Disembark Honolulu 10 PM

28 April Kauai 8 to 5

29 April Kona 8 to 6

29 April Mt Kilauea Sailby 11:59 Pm

30 April Hilo 8 to 6

May 1 lahaina 8 to 11 PM

May 2 Honolulu 7 to 7

May 3 thru 7 Cruising

May 8 Victoria

May 9 Vancouver disembark

Budget Queen, true, in 08 we saw a fabulous display that night, but no gurantees you get the samething every sailing. We can only hope so our daughter and DH sister can see it.

I have sailed this route 8 times, and only once, was there lava flow to the ocean. :(

Is it doing "it" now????

You otherwise have a very nice itinerary. Are you also adding Alaska, since you'll be in the "neighborhood"? :)

I almost considered these transpacifics, but, I've been tied up with the New Orleans Jazz Fest the last 5 years which is the last weekend of April. Can't miss that- at this point. :)

Our 2014 is tied up, with the 13 day NZ March 19th, followed by the Transpacific April 10 back to Honolulu and returning home on the 12 day Hawaii back to Vancouver. We live in So Calif. If I tried to sneak in 1 more cruise I think DH would leave me.:eek: We will spend 9 days between the NZ & TP sight seeing. After checking all cost to spend a week on Oahu and the 12 day Hawaii, it meant $2,000 more for the Hawaii, so decided I would prefer to sail home then fly and the daughter was excited so Dad had to go along.:D

Looks like this question went off course. I was originally asking if Princess ships especially the Star and the Grand will cruse past the volcanos when leaving the port on the big Island.

While it's been 2 years since we sailed on Princess to Hawaii when leaving Hilo they went north & not south towards VNP which I understand is standard for Princess. Even when we went to both Hilo & Kona on Princess we didn't sail around the southern end of the Big Island.

Thank you for your response. It's too bad they don't go there. Oh well

The Star Princess' Apr. 23rd, 2013 sailing to Hawaii is not stopping in Hilo, but going straight to Kona. All the other Princess ships this Spring (Grand & Golden) are going only to Hilo, so will probably go North from Hilo to Lahui, Kauai.

The most direct route for the Star Princess would be around the South end of the Big Island, so we're hoping to see the lava flows during our last evening at sea. Read somewhere else, probably on the Princess board, that the captain does make a close by approach if there is something to see around 10pm and usually circles so both sides of the ship can see it. Luckily we're on Starboard, so hoping for a good show. :D

Looks like this question went off course. I was originally asking if Princess ships especially the Star and the Grand will cruse past the volcanos when leaving the port on the big Island.

As noted before, Princess doesn't sail that direction. Celebrity did on our 2006 cruise and I believe that it still does the night pass of the lava flow.....very spectactular when active.

Archived