Carnival Paradise ship -- did we make a mistake??

BeachLover3

We are first time cruisers and booked a cruise on the Ectacy for the first week in April (Spring Break). We were excited as we promised our daughter a cruise and we picked this one due to the stop at Key West. Then on Monday we got an email that Key West was dropped as a stop and was replaced with Little Stirupp Cay.

We were so upset. We were nervous about this cruise to begin with, then with the recent issue with Carnival in the Gulf, and this last minute change in ports, this was the final straw. But since we were within 4 weeks we didn't have many choices left. So we decided to stick with Carnival.

We found a cruise of Western Caribbean on the Carnival Paridaise. But did we make a mistake? I am hearing that the ship is not very updated but the rep at Carnival said that it was refurbished in Nov 2012. I am so confused.

Can someone reassure me that this ship is in good shape and we didn't make a mistake re-booking to this cruise?

Thanks --Beachlover3

Sailed on her 10x when she was her in LA. So I do not think you are making a mistake.

She is the second youngest of the Fantasy class ships. She does not have the waterworks on 11aft BUT she has a round pool and two round hot tubs attached. It's Carnival's Hidden Mickey! It's usually quieter here than around the Lido pool.

The Lido pool has the slide.

Our first cruise was on Ecstasy and we had a blast! Worst case scenario, you will have a relaxing trip where you need not cook, clean, make a bed, vacuum the floor or wash your clothes. Consider the rest a bonus :)

BeachLover, I'll just tell ya'.... I've never been one to really care for cruise directors in the LEAST (no offense - I just don't pay attention to the 'host,' so to speak). HOWEVER, it's very funny that you mention you've just rebooked to the Paradise. I was just looking at the cruise director schedule, and the one and only cruise director who has EVER even captured my attention will be your cruise director - Steve Cassel. He use to be the cruise director on the Holiday out of NOLA and then Mobile, and he was absolutely wonderful. Although I know nothing about the Paradise...I do truly envy you now!!

You did not say how old your DD is, so not having the waterworks on the ship may matter. But, the ship is in good shape and this is a very fun cruise. We have been to Grand Cayman twice, but Cozumel 9 times. We are beach people and go to Paradise Beach almost every time, but we have also done the dune buggy / snorkeling excursion (Great fun, driving a dune buggy around the island looking at the ocean) and we have also spent the day walking around and shopping. Also, lots of fun.

As to the triumph issue a few weeks ago, you must remember how many cruises that occur every day. You are going to have an occasional malfunction every now and then. But if I had a choice between an engine fire on a cruise ship or in a airplane I would take the ship every time.

Now look at the bright side, if you go on your cruise, and get addicted like the rest of us, you can then book a Key West cruise the week you get back. And I hope you will because cruise addicts like to hear of more people becoming addicted.

The Paradise is a lovely ship, and I enjoyed Little Sturrup Cay also. Carnival doesn't want you to know its an RCCL owned island now. A nice stop for beach, relaxing, snorkeling. I was on the Paradise in Jan, its one of the nicer Fantasy class ships.

I've sailed both the "Ecstasy", and "Paradise" within the last 3 months, and can assure you that BOTH ships are excellent. Since they stopped going to Key West, I too, would probably choose "Paradise", as I agree that the ports in the Western Caribbean are a bit better. Also, I agree that Steve Cassell is an outstanding C.D., and know you'll enjoy him. Have a GREAT cruise.

"SKY"

We cruised on the Paradise in January and had a fantastic time. We have two boys, 14 and 9, and they both had a blast. While it's true that the Paradise does not have the Waterworks, my 9 year old loved the waterslide and the pool. We had to remind our older boy to eat as he was having so much fun with the Circle C crew. Steve Cassel, who will probably be the Cruise director is fantastic and Cozumel was lots of fun. I think you'll have a great time!

We just sailed the 5 day trip first week of February on Paradise. This was our ninth cruise, but first on Paradise. I must say from the time we walked aboard until the time we disembarked we were just amazed at how beautiful the ship is and the crew is the best we have experienced in a long time. The "new" CD, Steve Cassell is wonderful and he plays a mean fiddle!!!!! We enjoyed the entertainment. Went to two shows - "Eight More Seconds" and "Flash" and they were both EXCELLENT and very family rated.

It seemed to us that, although Paradise is one of the "older" ships," her crew takes pride in keeping the ship spotless as well as going the extra mile to make guests feel welcome. We were in an ocean view (E83) and it seemed we never left the room without it being made up when we returned. Our dining room staff were excellent and made our cruise that much more special. The food in the MDR was the typical Carnival fare, but it seemed like it was prepared with a little more pride and the presentation and the taste was exquisite!

No - I don't think you made a mistake, but just remember, any cruise you take will be as wonderful as YOU make it. Have a good time!

Just cruised with 31 family members of all ages on the Paradise. Cruise was beginning of Feb and couldnt have asked for a better one. We had all ages and the two ports were great. The ship is in great shape. You won't be disappointed. We had a great time and so will you. We did do the Nachi cocom beach break in cozumel and it was wonderful! ENJOY

I am criuising on the Paradise the first week of April and I understand your anxiety. There isn't much posted about the Paradise and I was worried too. I seem to find most reviews are positive. Looking forward to the cruise.

I loved the Paradise ship! I would definitely sail on her again. I can't think of a single negative thing to say about the ship. The crew was amazing, the rooms were great, the food seemed better than other ships - always fresh on the buffet. The Paradise seems to be consistently in the top 5 for customer reviews that John Heald posts on Facebook.

Thank you everyone for your comments. You have put my mind at ease. Our DD is 16, so I hope she has fun. She is pretty easy going and loves the beach and the pool so I think she will enjoy herself.

One question though -- what is MDR?? :confused:

Thank you everyone for your comments. You have put my mind at ease. Our DD is 16, so I hope she has fun. She is pretty easy going and loves the beach and the pool so I think she will enjoy herself.

One question though -- what is MDR?? :confused:

Main Dining Room. Have a great cruise.

Since she is 16 you are probably on the right ship because it has one more pool area because it does not have the EOF. The EOF is for little kids. We sailed the Elation two years ago when my son was 14 to avoid a EOF ship. Elation is like Paradise. They are a good smaller ship. I would have loved Little Stirrup Cay. The private islands are the cruises people try to find. Our cruise itinerary got changed too. You will have fun if you think you will.

I have been on 3 fantasy class ships with 2 having the up grades (Sensation and Ecstasy) and 1 not (Elation). The Elation is just like the Paradise and its was great. The slide on the Lido pool is huge and fast so if you or worried about that, well don't. My wife likes the updated ones because the slides are up top and away from the lido deck pool so less kids and splashing on the Lido deck. I miss the palm trees and umbrellas that the Elation did not have and I'm sure I'll miss that on the Paradise as well. Water Works is cool but you wouldn't stay up there as much as you may think you would.

Archived