Next cruise certificate RCI ?

I got thinking some more about this.

With so many Americans and Canadians coming 'down under' to cruise I wonder if they can purchase a FCC on-board and then use it back in the states or Canada.

On second thoughts, as their credit card would be issued in their home country and already in $US there really should be no reason why there would be a problem.

I guess anyone living here who has somehow been issued with a US or Canadian based credit card could book through a US travel agent.

I remember hearing from one of our CC members on Voyager that this is how he overcame the problem of booking through a US travel agent.

Which ever way you look at it, we now pay much less for crusing that it used to cost years ago when ONLY the wealthy could afford to cruise so really, we have very little to grizzle about! :D

Gae

I'm well aware of this, just the wording said that the fee had to be paid to transfer to USD which isn't the case. For what you said it's that the payment is still in AUD, but the transaction is in the US.

As for the comment about "not everyone", nobody said they did, but the majority of cards issued in Australia do not charge a fee for transactions overseas.

MMM ANZ BankWest Woolies credit cards all charge? what do you call the "majority of cards" in Australia? Westpac doesnt but there T&C,c suck big time!

28 degrees doesnt but they are only attached to westpac through General Electrics USA!

I got thinking some more about this.

With so many Americans and Canadians coming 'down under' to cruise I wonder if they can purchase a FCC on-board and then use it back in the states or Canada.

On second thoughts, as their credit card would be issued in their home country and already in $US there really should be no reason why there would be a problem.

I guess anyone living here who has somehow been issued with a US or Canadian based credit card could book through a US travel agent.

I remember hearing from one of our CC members on Voyager that this is how he overcame the problem of booking through a US travel agent.

Which ever way you look at it, we now pay much less for crusing that it used to cost years ago when ONLY the wealthy could afford to cruise so really, we have very little to grizzle about! :D

Gae

Can you pay cash for a NCC or have the charge put on your ship board account? I have US Dollars cash and the ships account is in US Dollars!

This way it would be purchased in US Dollars so future bookable in US Dollars,

Den

As covered before, it's not a global system so you can't transfer bookings between countries regardless of who took the booking (TA or cruise line).

If it is not a global system why am i being charged Offshore? and my Australian Dollar price I pay for the cruise is a price worked out by RCI USA at an exchange rate favourable to them to cover for any currency fluctuations after the booking of the cruise? This is to make sure the Australian dollar price charged never falls below the USA Dollar cost value of that cruise which was bought in Australia?

If it was "not Global" The price of the cruise bought in Australia would be the "exact same price" of the cruise purchased in USA just in a different currency!

Look at the online purchases on RCI Australia,the price of goods purchased for a booked and paid for cruise are going up in Australian dollar costs because the $AU has dropped against the $US over the past 3 weeks by over $.035c,if it was not global the price would have stayed the same! if it is a price rise why has the US price also no raised?

I have an email from RCI USA explaining to me that cruises are booked at sometimes over a year ahead of time and due to currency fluctuations RCI may loose money if the Australian dollar goes down before final payment so they must charge a higher base price in Australia to reflect this! This means it "is" Global!

Den

If it is not a global system why am i being charged Offshore?

My guess is because they do accounts offshore. It doesn't mean the reservation and pricing system is global.

and my Australian Dollar price I pay for the cruise is a price worked out by RCI USA at an exchange rate favourable to them to cover for any currency fluctuations after the booking of the cruise?

Don't know what you mean there since sometimes prices are lower here and sometimes higher. How can you guarantee favourability anyway when the exchange rate has gone down over 50% in the past within very short periods?

If it was "not Global" The price of the cruise bought in Australia would be the "exact same price" of the cruise purchased in USA just in a different currency!

No, then it would be global. And you wear the currency risk.

Look at the online purchases on RCI Australia,the price of goods purchased for a booked and paid for cruise are going up in Australian dollar costs because the $AU has dropped against the $US over the past 3 weeks by over $.035c,if it was not global the price would have stayed the same! if it is a price rise why has the US price also no raised?

Onboard purchases are charged separately. That's why your onboard account is always in USD, unlike your booking if you book in Australia.

I have an email from RCI USA explaining to me that cruises are booked at sometimes over a year ahead of time and due to currency fluctuations RCI may loose money if the Australian dollar goes down before final payment so they must charge a higher base price in Australia to reflect this! This means it "is" Global!

No, that means they convert their local sales back to head office for their reports. If they sold at $1000 AU for a $1000 US cruise, and when they do their profit reporting, that $1000 AU is only worth $800 USD they've made a currency loss.

Nothing to do with local pricing or the system, but every company has to report its profitability globally. Local companies such as BHP also do the same - it doesn't mean that all their operations around the world are all conducted in one system or in AUD. Just at some point you have to calculate it back.

Thanks! I just dont want to commit a future cruise to RCI "Australia" booking site, will I be allowed to use an Overseas T/A? I would much rather book & Pay in US Dollars which means I can book & pay add on,s in US Dollars.

Den

Hi, we bought the future cruise deal, but have been unable to use it with a US agent, they tried to use it and were told by Royal Carribean only Australian agent hope this helps

Hi, we bought the future cruise deal, but have been unable to use it with a US agent, they tried to use it and were told by Royal Carribean only Australian agent hope this helps

If it was an Aus$ fcc, it can only be used with Aus TAs.

If it is an US$ fcc, it should be able to be used with US TAs, assuming you are a client of a US TA.

My guess is because they do accounts offshore. It doesn't mean the reservation and pricing system is global.

Don't know what you mean there since sometimes prices are lower here and sometimes higher. How can you guarantee favourability anyway when the exchange rate has gone down over 50% in the past within very short periods?

No, then it would be global. And you wear the currency risk.

Onboard purchases are charged separately. That's why your onboard account is always in USD, unlike your booking if you book in Australia.

No, that means they convert their local sales back to head office for their reports. If they sold at $1000 AU for a $1000 US cruise, and when they do their profit reporting, that $1000 AU is only worth $800 USD they've made a currency loss.

Nothing to do with local pricing or the system, but every company has to report its profitability globally. Local companies such as BHP also do the same - it doesn't mean that all their operations around the world are all conducted in one system or in AUD. Just at some point you have to calculate it back.

You need to read a bit more attentively!

Online purchase are in Australian dollars on RCI AU not US dollars so why are they going up?

If it was "Not Global" means "Global" in my book!??? and what I said?

If they sold at $1000 AU for a $1000 US cruise, and when they do their profit reporting, that $1000 AU is only worth $800 USD they've made a currency loss.

You have this arse about face? surly if you sold a $1000US cruise for a $1000 AU that would be $1020AU at todays rate and they make a currency profit so the cruise should be priced $ 981 AU = $1000 us lol, where did you get $800 dollars from lol

Who has made the currency loss or profit? RCI not RCI Australia? It is a Global company if RCI have lol

I can only go by my own personal experience. I purchased a FCC with Celebrity onboard in US $'s.

When I went to use it with my US TA he couldn't put the booking through and told me I had to use it with an Aussie TA???

Now...... They took my money in US $'s .and they allow us to book with a US TA but wouldn't accept our FCC??? Doesn't make sense..

I can only go by my own personal experience. I purchased a FCC with Celebrity onboard in US $'s.

When I went to use it with my US TA he couldn't put the booking through and told me I had to use it with an Aussie TA???

Now...... They took my money in US $'s .and they allow us to book with a US TA but wouldn't accept our FCC??? Doesn't make sense..

That is interesting, Lizzy.

If that is the case, the FCCs were sold under false premises, because they even advised the US TA re the FCCs.

I have FCCs in US$ for Celebrity and Princess, however I haven't tried to use them yet with my US TA.

Yes its quite outrageous from any individual cruise consumers point of view!

$1000 US is $1000 US and if a cruise cost is $1000 US then why are we not allowed to purchase the cruise for $1000 US in US Dollars? What is the reasoning behind this:confused:

One CC member would have us forever believe that it is for "our own good" or so the parent company can make the same profit margin from different nationalities and keep the prices low:confused:

$1000 US priced cruise costs $1000 US no more no less no matter what currency I trade in at home!

Why can I not buy the cruise for $1000 US in US Dollars? Because I am being hit with higher costs/charges and greater restriction creating bigger profit to the parent company that they can not get from the USA domestic market, that at present needs to be heavily discounted!

As a consumer I have a right to shop for the "Best Price" that suits me for a product!

If I choose to shop offshore for an offshore product then I have the right to do so!

RCI also has the right to sell its product to whom they please but I have the choice not to buy it!

online demographic Cruise price gouging by Cruise companies is only the tip of the future iceberg in respect to online shopping!

We have been sucked in and we will now suffer the consequences!

Can you pay cash for a NCC or have the charge put on your ship board account? I have US Dollars cash and the ships account is in US Dollars!

This way it would be purchased in US Dollars so future bookable in US Dollars,

Den

Den, I believe it is credit card only.

The whole business of Australians and New Zealanders not getting a good deal has been done to death on here and the only solution (rightly or wrongly) is to use an American agent. I used to feel bad about sending the $ out of Australia but I don't anymore. The day the Australian TAs start standing up for their clients, ie., the people who put their bread and butter on the table, I may reassess - until then, I will save thousands on fares and enjoy OBC given by the US agents.

Cheers

Di

Like you, I thought I would need to buy 5 and I asked the exact same question when I was onboard. You only need 1 certificate ($100) to cover up to 3 cabins or 3 bookings (You need 2 booking numbers if staying in a family cabin holding 5 or 6 passengers). The certificate will allow you to pay just $100 deposit per person when you decide to book your cruise, and you get obc for up to 3 bookings - all from the one certificate :). You won't need to pay the $100 deposit when booking for the passenger who books the certificate as you would have already paid that onboard.

Hope that makes sense :)

Thanks for letting me know.

Den, I believe it is credit card only.

The whole business of Australians and New Zealanders not getting a good deal has been done to death on here and the only solution (rightly or wrongly) is to use an American agent. I used to feel bad about sending the $ out of Australia but I don't anymore. The day the Australian TAs start standing up for their clients, ie., the people who put their bread and butter on the table, I may reassess - until then, I will save thousands on fares and enjoy OBC given by the US agents.

Cheers

Di

Yes I know:rolleyes: But the FCC is just another cake without the cherry if you cant use it with a US T/A!

Not sure if its true but I read RCI will soon no longer let US T/A,s take bookings from Australians?

I know this has also possibly been flogged to death I remember the US T/A threads a few years ago but then I was still a happy P&O cruiser so didnt take much notice lol

Den

You need to read a bit more attentively!

Online purchase are in Australian dollars on RCI AU not US dollars so why are they going up?

If it was "Not Global" means "Global" in my book!??? and what I said?

If they sold at $1000 AU for a $1000 US cruise, and when they do their profit reporting, that $1000 AU is only worth $800 USD they've made a currency loss.

You have this arse about face? surly if you sold a $1000US cruise for a $1000 AU that would be $1020AU at todays rate and they make a currency profit so the cruise should be priced $ 981 AU = $1000 us lol, where did you get $800 dollars from lol

Who has made the currency loss or profit? RCI not RCI Australia? It is a Global company if RCI have lol

It appears you didn't read clearly.

I already stated that onboard products - which includes things that you buy online for use onboard - are priced in USD. That's why the price changes as the currency does. They have nothing to do with the reservation system.

As with your miscalculated maths before about gratuities, you've also gotten wrong the figures about $800USD.

RCL are an American company. They report in USD. If something was priced at $1000 USD is worth $800 USD when it comes reporting time, that's a currency loss. I've no idea where you got the rest of your figures from or your claim that's actually a profit lol.

Yes I know:rolleyes: But the FCC is just another cake without the cherry if you cant use it with a US T/A!

Not sure if its true but I read RCI will soon no longer let US T/A,s take bookings from Australians?

I know this has also possibly been flogged to death I remember the US T/A threads a few years ago but then I was still a happy P&O cruiser so didnt take much notice lol

Den

The interesting thing is the incompetents in the Future Cruises Lounge will tell you that it can be transferred but don't get me started with them.

The day we can't book Royal Caribbean (and presumably Celebrity and Azamara) through a US agent will be the day we reconsider who we cruise with. We no longer cruise with Princess for this reason.

I won't make any comment about being a happy P&O cruiser:p

Cheers

Di

We purchased a future cruise certificate on our recent radiance cruise. We are now considering booking a med cruise for later in the year on legends. I have contacted a US based on line TA, asking if he is able to sell a cruise to me being an aussie and also using the fcc - his answer no problem.

We purchased a future cruise certificate on our recent radiance cruise. We are now considering booking a med cruise for later in the year on legends. I have contacted a US based on line TA, asking if he is able to sell a cruise to me being an aussie and also using the fcc - his answer no problem.

He has no problem selling you a cruise but when you book it on board, the deposit has to be paid in $US in order for the US TA can take over your booking. Unfortunately your deposit will be charged in $AU and the US agent wont be able to take over the booking. (The US agents are used to dealing with people booking cruises from out of the US and aren't necessarily aware of the conditions of cruises booked out of here).

If you tell a Future Cruise Consultant on board what you want to do, ie, transfer the booking to a US agent, they will tell you that it is fine to do so but when you try and do so, you can't because of the deposit being charged in $AU - they are hopeless. The $200 OBC you get through the FCC is pitiful compared to what you get from the US agents.

So, yes, you can book through a US agent. Can you transfer a FCC? No, because the deposit has been charged in $AU. I would forget the FCC (unless you want the cheaper deposit) and just book through the US agent - provided of course his/her price and OBC is better than here and it generally is.

Cheers

Di

The price of cruise is actually a bit higher than TA here in Australia but the attraction for me to book with US TA is that I can cancel up til final payment date and get a full refund. Also if the price drops I will get that, so hard decision do I go with aussie TA for convenience and cheaper price, or go with the US who gives more flexability. Others might not be aware that US prices do not include taxes etc so we need to add roughly another 10% to their price. The company I have been dealing with do not charge a credit card fee but my bank the CBA will charge me so that adds to the overall cost too. I haven't been offered much in way of OBC from USA only $75. guess its better than nothing the aussies offer.

The price of cruise is actually a bit higher than TA here in Australia but the attraction for me to book with US TA is that I can cancel up til final payment date and get a full refund. Also if the price drops I will get that, so hard decision do I go with aussie TA for convenience and cheaper price, or go with the US who gives more flexability. Others might not be aware that US prices do not include taxes etc so we need to add roughly another 10% to their price. The company I have been dealing with do not charge a credit card fee but my bank the CBA will charge me so that adds to the overall cost too. I haven't been offered much in way of OBC from USA only $75. guess its better than nothing the aussies offer.

In your decision making, you will need to consider -

Is your FCC in US$ or Aus$? If it is the latter, you will only be able to use it in Australia.

How far ahead is your cruise? You will need to watch the US/Aussie exchange rate.

Is the US$ price higher than the Aus$ price, after you convert it to Aus$?

US prices include port charges, but not taxes and fees. However, I'd be surprised if they were 10%.

Having flexibility to cancel up to final payment and being eligible for price drops are the big attractions. The small OBC is just an added bonus.

He has no problem selling you a cruise but when you book it on board, the deposit has to be paid in $US in order for the US TA can take over your booking. Unfortunately your deposit will be charged in $AU and the US agent wont be able to take over the booking. (The US agents are used to dealing with people booking cruises from out of the US and aren't necessarily aware of the conditions of cruises booked out of here).

If you tell a Future Cruise Consultant on board what you want to do, ie, transfer the booking to a US agent, they will tell you that it is fine to do so but when you try and do so, you can't because of the deposit being charged in $AU - they are hopeless. The $200 OBC you get through the FCC is pitiful compared to what you get from the US agents.

So, yes, you can book through a US agent. Can you transfer a FCC? No, because the deposit has been charged in $AU. I would forget the FCC (unless you want the cheaper deposit) and just book through the US agent - provided of course his/her price and OBC is better than here and it generally is.

Cheers

Di

Bit confused here:o If I buy a FCC I dont have to tell the RCI agent onboard when I intend to travel or a T/A I intend to use?

I cannot pay $US cash for a FCC on a ship that only deals in $US?

Can I use an AMEX card that is in $US for a FCC valid for booking with USA T/A?

Can you have a FCC price put on your ship account which is $US?

If I have a FCC do I have to first book with RCI and then transfer to T/A or can you use it to book with T/A in the first instance?

Den

Bit confused here:o If I buy a FCC I dont have to tell the RCI agent onboard when I intend to travel or a T/A I intend to use?

No you don't but if you do tell them you intend to transfer it to a US agent, they will tell you that it's not a problem - it is a problem, you can't do it.

I cannot pay $US cash for a FCC on a ship that only deals in $US?

No you can't.

Can I use an AMEX card that is in $US for a FCC valid for booking with USA T/A?

No, it is charged in $AU, hence the problem.

Can you have a FCC price put on your ship account which is $US?

You cannot pay for a FCC in cash or your seapass card - it has to be on your credit card.

If I have a FCC do I have to first book with RCI and then transfer to T/A or can you use it to book with T/A in the first instance?

You book with them and then transfer it.

Den

Den, Sorry I'm on my IPad so I haven't changed colour to differentiate my answers. I hope they stand out okay.

Cheers

Di

Den, Sorry I'm on my IPad so I haven't changed colour to differentiate my answers. I hope they stand out okay.

Cheers

Di

Thanks all explained! I dont know how to change the font colour on CC with my computer lol

Den

Thanks all explained! I dont know how to change the font colour on CC with my computer lol

Den

Den, I have to admit, I was also watching Donny And Marie Osmond on Foxtel at the time:eek:

Cheers

Di

Liz - Checked with my US TA who advised it is not a problem using my FCCs bought in US$s, as a deposit.

Archived