NCL Dawn and Kings Wharf

Real_Raven

First off I miss the Majesty and have never been to Kings Wharf. I've heard that its not really clean. My Son and his wife had their first cruise last yeat and were not happy. Sometimes I think first time cruisers expect too much. So let me know will I be dissapointed? Should I just stay on ship? Also the food. Very mixed reviews. Thanks

The only problem with Kings Wharf is it's distance from Hamilton & St Georges & there's no beach within walking distance. (there is a man-made one but you have to pay to get in) There's shopping, food & the ferry is right there. There's also some entertainment but that depends on when you're there.

If you're asking about the food on the Dawn, we had no problem with it. It's not fine dining but none of the mass market lines offer that type of food anymore.

We cruised the Majesty only once & hated it so much it took 12 years before we cruised NCL again (last May). We're going again this year so obviously we liked it.

I also enjoyed St George. Kings Wharf not bad. Ferry is right at the dock. There are a couple of restaurants with bars there and a small shopping plaza (indoor) Also a pharmacy to pick up odds and ends. We went in Sept though and everything closed early and no entertainment around. Guess it is more active during high season

The last thing you want to do as a first time visitor to Bermuda is stay on the ship! It's a beautiful island with friendly residents, beautiful beaches, and lots of history.

I can't imagine where the "not really clean" comment could come from.

We went on the Crown many times from NYC, was great to do all three ports however those days are gone. Kings Wharf is a old British Navy base that has been turned into a cruise ship port for up to two ships. In one or two hours you will see it all. It is out of the way so if you want to see the rest of Bermuda you must use a ferry, bus or taxi. It is OK for one night stay, after that it is a pain IMO. However it is very nice and clean. If you are asking about the food on the ship I find it good to excellent depending on the restaurant.

We were in Bermuda on the Star last September and I was very impressed with the Kings Wharf area. It is very clean. Did not get a chance to spend much time there, but will make up for that next time. There are a few nice bar/restaurant venues. Had a burger for lunch at one, very nice. There is a fort, glassblowing shop, museum, and tons of shops. A tram takes you around the area if you don't want to walk. The ferries leave there for Hamilton and St Georges if you want to take the scenic route, or the buses which run to the towns and many beaches.

There are many fine bars and restaurants in Bermuda, but food is very expensive and for that reason we ate most of our meals on board. Bermuda's beaches are gorgeous and you have 3 full days in port, no reason no to get out exploring. Try reading some of the Bermuda reviews on this forum.

I did mean the food on the ship. We have been to Bermuda 6 times before and have seen just about all of it. It's all about the sun and relaxing, the people and dining. Thanks for the replies. Looks like a few ferry rides and a cat ride to the beaches. I've heard that the pool is overcrowded and small. Any feed back on that?

First off I miss the Majesty and have never been to Kings Wharf. I've heard that its not really clean. My Son and his wife had their first cruise last yeat and were not happy. Sometimes I think first time cruisers expect too much. So let me know will I be dissapointed? Should I just stay on ship? Also the food. Very mixed reviews. Thanks

First off, I'm glad the Majesty is gone but it was nice docking at St Georges. That being said, there is only so much you can do there also, and would have to take transportation to see other parts of Bermuda. We like being at the West End and take the first ferry to St Georges to get our fix. We then take a bus to our other destinations, get off in Hamilton and take the ferry back to King's Wharf. I have never found it not really clean, but then again, that's as subjective as food.

Dockyards OK but we much prefer docking in Hamilton or St. George . Sadly those day are gone ! http://bernews.com/2012/01/videos-bermuda-80s-tourism-heydey/ Dockyard in video #3

I did mean the food on the ship. We have been to Bermuda 6 times before and have seen just about all of it. It's all about the sun and relaxing, the people and dining. Thanks for the replies. Looks like a few ferry rides and a cat ride to the beaches. I've heard that the pool is overcrowded and small. Any feed back on that?

If it is more about the ship than the destination, why not consider the new Breakaway to Bermuda with all the new dining venues, waterfront, slides and shows?

The pool is amazingly small & it doesn't take many people to make it overcrowded. The water was also VERY warm therefore not the least bit refreshing.

If it is more about the ship than the destination, why not consider the new Breakaway to Bermuda with all the new dining venues, waterfront, slides and shows?

Probably because the OP lives in Massachusetts, where the Dawn is based. Going on the Breakaway requires traveling to NY City.

I love Bermuda. This July we are heading back and traveling on the Dawn with our entire family. The three days are great to be at dock. We find fun things to do every time we get there. This year, we are planning on renting a small motor boat and poking around the sea coast. This will be the sixth year in a row that we have spent at least one day in Bermuda. Never tire of it. It is such a beautiful island and really great people live there. They love their island too and are always willing to tell you about it. St. George is always a fun place to poke around. I don't enjoy the city of Hamilton that much but the area around it is nice to explore. Love the transportation pass. Best deal going for getting around. Dockyard is a ways away from things but the transportation gets you places really fast. Ferry rides are great for sightseeing.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Bermuda is probably the cleanest port I have ever been too. Not sure where you saw or read a comment like that.

The first cruise we ever went on was also on the Majesty to St. George. This was my favorite of all cruises and we've been on many since then. I loved that little town and also the Majesty,Tobacco Bay beach and all that Bermuda had to offer. BUT, St. George no longer able to accomodate the big ships we have now so we dock in either Hamilton or The Naval Yard. Don't let this stop you from going to Bermuda. There is a water taxi, bus service, a mall and lots of things to do there. You can even go back to St. George to visit. The little Majesty was a great ship. Small cabins, no fancy decks or atriums, not a fancy resort on the sea like the beautiful ships of today but I still remember and love her.

I don't think you'll find the Navy Yard dirty, at least we didn't. It would never keep me from going to Bermuda. I hope you have a great time if you decide to go, the newer ships are really beautiful, but still, I too loved the Majesty.

Probably because the OP lives in Massachusetts, where the Dawn is based. Going on the Breakaway requires traveling to NY City.

I'm much closer to Boston and have decided to make the five hour drive just for the Breakaway as I have already been on the Dawn. So I'm not sure why you would make that statement.... :rolleyes:

I wonder if they said it was not really clean because of the old prison up on the hill ? That is kind of an eye sore, but the dockyard is very clean. Much nicer than Nassau. The old prison was the only thing I didn't like and that is just a small part of the area. Many people say Bermuda is one of the nicest, cleanest islands they have been to.

I'm much closer to Boston and have decided to make the five hour drive just for the Breakaway as I have already been on the Dawn. So I'm not sure why you would make that statement.... :rolleyes:

That's all well and good, you can drive wherever you want, but it doesn't eliminate the very distinct possibility that the OP might not want to travel to New York. I was speculating about a possible reason, not saying it was definitely the reason. As someone else noted there's also a big difference in fares...the Breakaway is significantly more expensive. Also if you look at where the person who asked the question I was answering lives, it is in Indiana. If you're from Indiana it probably doesn't matter which of the two ports you cruise from because the difference in travel time isn't likely to be all that much. If you live close to one of the ports it makes a huge difference.

I live in the NY City metropolitan area and in no way would I travel all the way to Boston to take a cruise that has the same itinerary as one I can take close to home.

The first cruise we ever went on was also on the Majesty to St. George. This was my favorite of all cruises and we've been on many since then. I loved that little town and also the Majesty,Tobacco Bay beach and all that Bermuda had to offer. BUT, St. George no longer able to accomodate the big ships we have now so we dock in either Hamilton or The Naval Yard. Don't let this stop you from going to Bermuda. There is a water taxi, bus service, a mall and lots of things to do there. You can even go back to St. George to visit. The little Majesty was a great ship. Small cabins, no fancy decks or atriums, not a fancy resort on the sea like the beautiful ships of today but I still remember and love her.

I don't think you'll find the Navy Yard dirty, at least we didn't. It would never keep me from going to Bermuda. I hope you have a great time if you decide to go, the newer ships are really beautiful, but still, I too loved the Majesty.

Me too, My first introduction to Bermuda was on the Majesty. Truly nothing fancy, but the crew was amazing.

I loved docking in St. Georges. The shops there were so lovely & quaint. From there we went to tobacco bay beach, and took busses to many other places on the island.

Kings Wharf is OK as well. We enjoy the little mall and restaurants nearby. Busses & ferries are available to take us to other parts of the island. Bda is not to be missed. Get off of the ship every day, and enjoy all she has to offer.

We are returning this July. We have been many times, and have taken all the tours. My DIL was the one that commented on Bermuda, and the Dock Yard area as "dirty" it seems that they found broken glass , Cig butts, trash etc on the Beach near the dock yard. This was their first cruise, and they swear their last. Like many firs timers I think that they "overexpected". Can't wait untill July.

We are returning this July. We have been many times, and have taken all the tours. My DIL was the one that commented on Bermuda, and the Dock Yard area as "dirty" it seems that they found broken glass , Cig butts, trash etc on the Beach near the dock yard. This was their first cruise, and they swear their last. Like many firs timers I think that they "overexpected". Can't wait untill July.

Sounds like they went to Snorkel Park, which is a man made beach that is a privately operated business located on the Dockyard grounds. Yes, I've heard it can be dirty, but it's not representative of the Dockyard per se...it's dirty because the owner doesn't do a good job of operating the business. It's not representative of how the Dockyard is run or looks. I wouldn't go to Snorkel Park anyway...they charge an admission fee (on most days) for you to use a man made beach, when Bermuda has some of the most beautiful natural beaches in the world just a short bus or taxi ride from Dockyard.

Has anyone heard an update on what is going on at the Dockyards as far as Heritage Wharf not being finished in time for the beginning of the season? I've heard we might have to tender in. Anyone out there heard these rumors? Not looking forward to that. The best part of Bermuda is docking and walking on and off the ship whenever you want to. :eek:

Archived