fraternization

Crew members of a certain rank and above are allowed to use the specialty restaurants, with or without passengers.

Crew members are generally not allowed in the MDR, even as the guest of a passenger. Permission has to be asked of supervisors, the maitre d', etc.

Crew members of a certain rank and above are allowed to eat in the Windjammer, with or without passengers.

Crew members of a certain rank and above sometimes are allowed to have a drink with passengers at certain bars, but this is a very touchy issue.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

If cruise staff can spend time hitting on passengers, my guess would be that during their time off they could spend time with family. No one would know who they are if they aren't in uniform.

I have no idea of course. Why do you ask? If you have family on board, you could probably ask them.

On our last Explorer cruise in the MDR, the table next to us had the parents of a performer. The performer ate dinner with his parents several of the nights. It looked to be a 2 top, and they squeezed a 3rd chair in. The performer wore street clothes with his name tag.

If you have a friend or relative that is a crew member are you allowed

to socialize with them (dinner @ specialty restaurant) when they are off duty?

If the intent is to just socialize with a family member or friend, then I am sure that person could advise you whether they could. If it is socializing with a newly met friend, then of course there would be no time to get permission. Your thread title is ''Fraternization'' and your narrative says ''Socialize'' While they can mean the same thing, the word Fraternization conjures up a new meaning in millitary etc.

Crew? No. Officers? Maybe. Staff? Depends on their contract.

I think that this thread could have many connotations. The best policy, of someone that has cruised more than cruisnseas, no offense, is to just say:

No comment! Or, what happens on the ship, stays on the ship!;)

Rick

On our last Explorer cruise in the MDR, the table next to us had the parents of a performer. The performer ate dinner with his parents several of the nights. It looked to be a 2 top, and they squeezed a 3rd chair in. The performer wore street clothes with his name tag.

I don't think performers are considered crew. I have a friend who used to be a cruise ship performer and he said they had a different status, and could eat in the dining room.

Archived