Vegetarian/vegan options

Please be advised that there are options for everyone. When you arrive in the MDR on the first night, be sure to inform the waiter and head waiter that you are specifically looking for vegetarian and/or vegan options. Nightly there is always at least ONE vegetarian option, but if you are a strict vegan you will need the assistance of the staff. The head waiter will see that your needs are met in a delicious way.

I am not a vegetarian, but often opt for the vegetarian option. They have been very good. RCCL will custom prepare to your needs as well, if they are informed a day in advance. You might recieve items not on the menu.

My son was on an indian food kick, and the waiter brought him out all kinds of dishes throughout the week that were not on the menu.

Each night there is a cold soup option that is usually vegan. (fruit soups like watermelon gazpacho or peach.)

Many of the appetizer salads are vegan, but not all. There is usually a fruit salad/plate choice as well.

They have marinara sauce, and indian vegetable curries. You can verify with the waiter if the preparation was vegan.

If you were more specific (vegetarian versus vegan versus ovo/lacto, we could help you more with some of the offerings and our thoughts about them.)

My experience on a Liberty of the Seas sailing in January was generally good, but there were times the menu options were slim. You can find 1 or 2 appetizers that are vegetarian/vegan. Also you can find 1 or 2 options on the menu and possibly special order a pasta for dinner.

However, one night of my cruise there was only one unappealing appetizer option, and both dinner options were pasta. Where's the excitement of cruise food? Anybody can cook a pasta dish at home. I think the menu planners could do more regarding their vegetarian offerings. I'd love 2 different choices each night, and I'd love to see more variety: maybe a Thai option or a bean dinner that wasn't chili.

In my opinion, vegan options were very limited. I eat dairy but try to limit my cheese because of high cholesterol. Unfortunately the vegetarian dinners rely a lot on cheese.

I too am a full vegetarian but like vegan options because I am also trying to limit my dairy intake for heath reasons. If it is vegan I don't need to worry about the amount of dairy in it. I am hoping that there will be more than pasta dishes for the main meal to choose from. Thanks everyone so far for your input.

The problem with eating vegan on the ship is so many things are preprepared and include butters, creams, etc. Plus there is a general lack of understanding so when I would ask if something had dairy I would be told no and it would come out and have dairy, egg, etc on or in it.

You can have salads or the veggie sides if they can get them to you raw / cooked with 0 butter but it is very tedious. Good luck !

If one is truly vegan as opposed to vegetarian, I would suggest contacting the Special Needs Department some months out, as instructed on the website. Vegetarian and vegan are different and I am not certain a word with the Head Waiter on the first night will be "enough".

Just a suggestion.

[quote name='Langley Cruisers']If one is truly vegan as opposed to vegetarian, I would suggest contacting the Special Needs Department some months out, as instructed on the website. Vegetarian and vegan are different and I am not certain a word with the Head Waiter on the first night will be "enough".

Just a suggestion.[/QUOTE]

I did this prior to booking a cruise and was told they could not accommodate a vegan diet.

Asking RC customer service is never the answer, you'll get a different answer every time. Special needs department is a good place to start.

I can't speak from experience, but I just read a review in the past week or so where the writer had no problems finding acceptable vegan choices. I'll post the link if I find it.

Based on other's experience, it seems like most things RC, it depends on who you get. You'll get what you want, but it might take some effort at first to get your request understood.

[quote name='TBone2K']Asking RC customer service is never the answer, you'll get a different answer every time. Special needs department is a good place to start.

I can't speak from experience, but I just read a review in the past week or so where the writer had no problems finding acceptable vegan choices. I'll post the link if I find it.

Based on other's experience, it seems like most things RC, it depends on who you get. You'll get what you want, but it might take some effort at first to get your request understood.[/QUOTE]

I would be really interested in reading that review as I have never met a vegan who had great success in eating aboard. It also depends if you have a problem with cross contamination in cooking surfaces, utensils, etc.

Archived