Regent versus Seabourn

glorygaf

Don't be concerned. Smoking aside, which I know is a concern for many, (was not an issue when I was on Seabourn last December) Seabourn is very very good.

No need to defend yourself. You enjoy what you enjoy and that is all that matters. TC will never step outside the Regent box.

TC just ignore my comment.

No need to defend yourself. You enjoy what you enjoy and that is all that matters. TC will never step outside the Regent box.

TC just ignore my comment.

Goodness! Suite Travels -- you sound quite confused. I stepped outside of the "Regent box" 2 years ago when we added Silversea to our list of cruiselines that we liked. Then, fairly recently, we began looking at Oceania. Seabourn is not a choice for us due to their smoking policy. Crystal is not a choice due to their smoking and open seating policies. I will be more than happy to "ignore" your comments when you stop mis-stating mine.

I think TC has had a great experience on Regent and is enjoying all the perks that come with Platinum status (including free internet). I can't say that I blame her, as I also have Platinum status with Regent and it was tough for us to give up all those perks to go elsewhere for a luxury cruise with little or no frequent cruiser status.

However, we did go elsewhere after 10 cruises with Regent because we think their product is now over-priced, mainly because of the included shore excursions which have been an over whelming disappointment to us. We would much rather have a choice to take a shorex, or do our own thing, depending on destination and what is offered. Unfortunately, with Regent there is no option -- it's part of the fare whether you like it or not.

So for the last 18 months we have been sailing with other lines, including Cunard, Windstar and soon with Seabourn and SeaDream. And we are looking at all the other luxury lines for 2014 with the exception of Regent.

Like TC, we think Regent has a good product. Unlike TC, we think there are better luxury cruise line options out there right now including Seabourn that offer much better value. However, I can't blame TC for sticking with the product she knows best.

We will continue to cruise lines other than Regent (Silversea.... maybe Oceania and maybe SeaDream when their new ships are built). For the last time on this thread, I know enough about Crystal and Seabourn to know that they are not for us. What I do know about Crystal and Seabourn are facts and I have no problem posting those facts.

We will continue to cruise lines other than Regent (Silversea.... maybe Oceania and maybe SeaDream when their new ships are built). For the last time on this thread, I know enough about Crystal and Seabourn to know that they are not for us. What I do know about Crystal and Seabourn are facts and I have no problem posting those facts.

I understand your concern with Seabourn (smoking policy), but what's the issue with Crystal? Just asking, as I have sailed with Crystal several times and have found them to be very good.

I understand your concern with Seabourn (smoking policy), but what's the issue with Crystal? Just asking, as I have sailed with Crystal several times and have found them to be very good.

I believe that Crystal is an exceptional cruise line. For us, the smoking policies are too lenient. Although there is no smoking on balconies, I believe there is smoking there is smoking in at least some cabins. Due to dining room size, they do not have "true" open seating. Instead, it is open seating by reservation. I understand that it is not usually a problem to get into the dining room without a reservation.

We are the type that do things on the spur of the moment. On the way to the restaurant, we may have additional couple of two with us that would be to be accommodated. We also don't eat at the same time every day.

Regent allows us total flexibility.. We can be seated at a table for two, and, after appetizers change to another table with four already seated. While this is a rare situation, we like knowing that Regent can accommodate it.

We love the understated look of Regent -- very upscale casual. I am not interested in glitz and glamour. The first thing I thought when we entered The Restaurant on the Silver Spirit was that we were entering a Las Vegas coffee shop. Pictures of the Crystal Ships do look fancy with lots of glitz. Many people think this is wonderful.

Last, we prefer large suites, and most of the suites on Crystal are on the small side.

I have no criticicm of Crystal whatsoever -- it just isn't for us.

I believe that Crystal is an exceptional cruise line. For us, the smoking policies are too lenient. Although there is no smoking on balconies, I believe there is smoking there is smoking in at least some cabins. Due to dining room size, they do not have "true" open seating. Instead, it is open seating by reservation. I understand that it is not usually a problem to get into the dining room without a reservation.

We are the type that do things on the spur of the moment. On the way to the restaurant, we may have additional couple of two with us that would be to be accommodated. We also don't eat at the same time every day.

Regent allows us total flexibility.. We can be seated at a table for two, and, after appetizers change to another table with four already seated. While this is a rare situation, we like knowing that Regent can accommodate it.

We love the understated look of Regent -- very upscale casual. I am not interested in glitz and glamour. The first thing I thought when we entered The Restaurant on the Silver Spirit was that we were entering a Las Vegas coffee shop. Pictures of the Crystal Ships do look fancy with lots of glitz. Many people think this is wonderful.

Last, we prefer large suites, and most of the suites on Crystal are on the small side.

I have no criticicm of Crystal whatsoever -- it just isn't for us.

Those are legitimate comments in terms of the experience you are looking for in a luxury cruise line. I don't share them, but I accept them from your perspective.

I am also curious about your perception of SeaDream as we will be cruising them for the first time in December. You mentioned you would consider them when they get new ships -- what is preventing you from giving them a try with the current two ships? Thanks.

Those are legitimate comments in terms of the experience you are looking for in a luxury cruise line. I don't share them, but I accept them from your perspective.

I am also curious about your perception of SeaDream as we will be cruising them for the first time in December. You mentioned you would consider them when they get new ships -- what is preventing you from giving them a try with the current two ships? Thanks.

Poor reviews!

As the thread moves from "Seabourn" comparison to "Seadream", I want to join.

I think, you can't compare the concepts - for us, the Regent-experience on the Mariner was great and worth every cent.

But I like to try something different/special on a luxury level and because of this fact, I'm going to book a Seadream cruise in 2014.

I'm aware, that the size of the suite (cabin) is not the same, BUT a lot of other things will compensate this disadvantage.

DW and I are "outdoor-fans" - for us, dining al fresco is like being in heaven and Seadream can provide this "heaven" for us in a spectactular way.

And we like as well, the very small ship - as their promotion says: "It's yachting, not cruising" - so we give them a chance and make a try.

@TC2: Poor and excellent reviews can be read about both cruiselines - I think, I can read between the lines to receive the information that is needed for my individual needs ... ;)

Ralf

As the thread moves from "Seabourn" comparison to "Seadream", I want to join.

I think, you can't compare the concepts - for us, the Regent-experience on the Mariner was great and worth every cent.

But I like to try something different/special on a luxury level and because of this fact, I'm going to book a Seadream cruise in 2014.

I'm aware, that the size of the suite (cabin) is not the same, BUT a lot of other things will compensate this disadvantage.

DW and I are "outdoor-fans" - for us, dining al fresco is like being in heaven and Seadream can provide this "heaven" for us in a spectactular way.

And we like as well, the very small ship - as their promotion says: "It's yachting, not cruising" - so we give them a chance and make a try.

@TC2: Poor and excellent reviews can be read about both cruiselines - I think, I can read between the lines to receive the information that is needed for my individual needs ... ;)

Ralf

Agree completely. Neither TC nor I were comparing Regent with SeaDream. I asked her why she wouldn't sail with SeaDream now. She said poor reviews. And I pointed out that SeaDream reviews were better than Regent, whom she likes very much. I like that you understand every line has good and bad reviews, that you don't use them to make generalized criticisms, and instead read between the lines to find specific things that appeal to you.

Just thought I would add this comment from today on the SeaDream thread, which appears to have far more positive comments than Regent and hardlly any negative from people WHO HAVE ACTUALLY CRUISED ABOARD ONE OF THEIR SHIPS.

Seadream crew is AMAZING!!! AGAIN!!!

We can't thank the crew of SD1 enough for our recent voyage! Christophe and Silvio are magnificent! Frude,Brenda, Rose and Jho Jo are wonderful! Rutzie rocked the boat with her singing! Pablo,Mikee,Daramus,Christian,Dejon and Jose are simply FANTASTIC! Job and Ramon are top notch at the pool! Chef Sudesh and team were flawless! They all deserve a day off, but not at the same time! (lol) I hope that I did not miss anyone....DS18 and DS12 are now addicts after three voyages and eagerly look forward to seeing the SD staff that have now become like family to us. We love you all and look forward to seeing you in Nov and March for sure and possibly Dec 2013 and Easter 2014!

Just to butt in to your thread; I have already stated elsewhere that Seadream fans are generally blind to any faults on their line, bless them, apart from when there are brats on board. We have cruised Seadream 3 times, and there are several things we do not like - some rotten included wines with no willingness to change for another being the main one. Also, the included liquors are pathetic (unless there has been a policy change in the last couple of years); the only single malt was the less than marvellous Glenfiddich, and the only cognac I think Martell or Courvoisier, certainly no Remy Martin. Also sometimes no choice but to eat outdoors even in poorish weather. So do take the starry reviews with a small pinch of salt.

Just to butt in to your thread; I have already stated elsewhere that Seadream fans are generally blind to any faults on their line, bless them, apart from when there are brats on board. We have cruised Seadream 3 times, and there are several things we do not like - some rotten included wines with no willingness to change for another being the main one. Also, the included liquors are pathetic (unless there has been a policy change in the last couple of years); the only single malt was the less than marvellous Glenfiddich, and the only cognac I think Martell or Courvoisier, certainly no Remy Martin. Also sometimes no choice but to eat outdoors even in poorish weather. So do take the starry reviews with a small pinch of salt.

I respect your opinion because you have actually sailed on SeaDream. My point is that no one should point to CC member reviews and pick out a few that suit their purpose to say it has poor reviews. In point of fact, SeaDream has a higher percentage of positive reviews than many cruise lines, including Regent. That is not to say that SeaDream is the be all and end all in luxury cruising -- it's entertainment, cabin size and a few other things do not get top marks on reviews. As people like you have pointed out, it still has some issues, as all cruise lines do. But by the same token, it should not be casually dismissed as having "poor reviews" as a reason not to sail on it. That kind of statement does not help anyone.

I get tired of all the whiners who complain that RSSC is not as good as _______ (insert cruise line). If you don't like it, sail on someone else. But don't moan because the dining room doesn't offer filet mignon every night or the cocktail lounge doesn't have your favorite wine or liquor. Why not just compare the last cruise to your one previous, not to Seabourn of Oceana or Crystal. Enough said.

Sometimes I will read a review or comment about a particular cruise line on a date that we have done the same cruise. I can't even recognize the problems that the reviewer complains about - were they really on the same cruise? Totally agree with you.

Archived