Regent versus Seabourn

glorygaf

In all fairness the negative posts on the Seabourn board are not about Seabourn in general but about one particular cruise on the Sojourn, or even about the Sojourn's inconsistency. No line is perfect all the time. I've had great cruises on Silversea and simply awful ones.

Are there any guarantees that the chef, staff, etc. won't be on another ship in a couple of months? I have read positive reports on the Seabourn board for years. The past couple of months have been quite negative. Not sure what the cause is but I would be concerned if I was planning a a trip.

TC2, that would be the same as being concerned about booking a trip on Regent. There are negative comments on both lines regarding a variety of issues. We had fabulous service and food on Seabourn. We had fabulous food and service on Regent. There can be issues on any cruise and looking at any cruise line and basing a choice on a few people who reiterate the same response numerous times does not, necessarily, reflect the overall experience. I would not be concerned at all about booking a cruise on Seabourn. All of us make choices according to what matters the most to us on a cruise.

TC2, that would be the same as being concerned about booking a trip on Regent. There are negative comments on both lines regarding a variety of issues. We had fabulous service and food on Seabourn. We had fabulous food and service on Regent. There can be issues on any cruise and looking at any cruise line and basing a choice on a few people who reiterate the same response numerous times does not, necessarily, reflect the overall experience. I would not be concerned at all about booking a cruise on Seabourn. All of us make choices according to what matters the most to us on a cruise.

Thanks for your comments. Actually, there have not been as many negative comments on the Regent board. The biggest concern, IMO, would be the propulsion problem on the Voyager that occurred in Australia and now again in China. This could mean an early dry dock. We are watching the situation. Fortunately we are not booked on the Voyager this year.

I do watch the Seabourn board fairly closely. Their concerns about Seabourn and HAL being handled by the same people in Seattle is so similar to concerns about Oceania and Regent. As I've stated previously, we really cannot consider Seabourn as long as their current smoking policy is in place. For now, we'll stick with Regent, Silversea....... and maybe....... just possibly........ Oceania:)

We've cruised plenty on many of the luxury lines, and they are usually pretty similar in overall quality (except for the occasional hiccup caused by a bad crew and officers). So issues like smoking policy, or not wanting to have shore excursions as part of the price, can be deciding factors for many people. Regent was our favorite luxury line for 10 years, but we no longer sail with them because we do not want to have shore excursions included in the price (which means we pay for them). So we now shop around for better deals.

We've cruised plenty on many of the luxury lines, and they are usually pretty similar in overall quality (except for the occasional hiccup caused by a bad crew and officers). So issues like smoking policy, or not wanting to have shore excursions as part of the price, can be deciding factors for many people. Regent was our favorite luxury line for 10 years, but we no longer sail with them because we do not want to have shore excursions included in the price (which means we pay for them). So we now shop around for better deals.

Yes -- we do pay for excursions that we don't want. It is a necessary evil I suppose. Seabourn has smoking, Crystal has many things we are not interested in -- especially their new expanded "children sail free" program. Silversea is good but does not have the benefits of Regent. I realize that I have had "tunnel vision" lately. After sailing Regent for 9 years, we will reach Platinum level the day after tomorrow. The extra benefits really keeps us loyal to Regent.

Yes -- we do pay for excursions that we don't want. It is a necessary evil I suppose. Seabourn has smoking, Crystal has many things we are not interested in -- especially their new expanded "children sail free" program. Silversea is good but does not have the benefits of Regent. I realize that I have had "tunnel vision" lately. After sailing Regent for 9 years, we will reach Platinum level the day after tomorrow. The extra benefits really keeps us loyal to Regent.

Yes, those platinum benefits are very seductive. If Regent ever introduces a cash back in lieu of shore excursions deal, we will be back.

Travelcat2,

No guarantees of anything, Just like there are no guarantees that there won't be pod problems on the Voyager which crop up much more frequently than small portions or inadequate service on Seabourn and which disrupt a trip to a much greater degree. We have to overlook some of these problems or we'd never cruise on any line.

Travelcat2,

No guarantees of anything, Just like there are no guarantees that there won't be pod problems on the Voyager which crop up much more frequently than small portions or inadequate service on Seabourn and which disrupt a trip to a much greater degree. We have to overlook some of these problems or we'd never cruise on any line.

We do overlook problems. At least with Regent we know most of the problems. Who knows what they would be with Sesbourn? Whatever problems Seabourn might have it might be delivered with a dose of second hand smoke. As has been said by others... this is simply a dealbreaker

TC, you will never know until you cruise them, and experience first hand whatever is "Seabourn". Other cruisers from Seabourn have told you the same, below. Although many non-smokers onboard do not report problems, some do, and the company will have to decide what is best for their business. You have never experienced this cruise line.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why you so actively post on CC about lines you have never experienced, actively, and with such gusto. To me, Cruise Critic used to be about people who had sailed ships would offer their comments.

It is just not helpful for people who are looking for first hand experience when you post about cruise lines you've never experienced. You surely can give that for Regent, all comments you ever care to give and as well for Silver Sea for your two cruises (same as I).

"Perhaps there could be a subthread for posters who don't have the experience but have an opinion anyway."

Or, perhaps, a special circle of Hades.

Hmm, we don't really know whether Dante liked cruising, do we, as he fainted during his crossing of the Acheron? (Maybe the fainting was due to second-hand smoke from the Inferno.)

Perhaps there could be a subthread for posters who don't have the experience but have an opinion anyway.

Thank you for being the voice of reason! Hopefully those who disagree NEVER voice an opinion about politics or anything else unless they have first hand experience. Thank you CruiseCritic for allowing opinions without passing certain criteria!!!! Freedom is a great thing -- as long as it is not abused.

TC, You need to cool it. The more you protest the less credibility you have.

You have cruised extensively and have valuable opinions; I hope you can at some point understand that A; they are opinions; and B; others may disagree. I have corresponded off line with people who know you and recognize your strongly held opinions are heartfelt, but a more moderate approach might make them more effective.

You have cruised extensively and have valuable opinions; I hope you can at some point understand that A; they are opinions; and B; others may disagree. I have corresponded off line with people who know you and recognize your strongly held opinions are heartfelt, but a more moderate approach might make them more effective.

I agree. You are right on point with TC.

You are entitled to your opinion. Kindly do not try to control mine.

wripro: Your input, as always, is appreciated.

SuiteTravels: Glad that you enjoy Crystal. Excuse me if I ignore your posts as they are not relevant to me.

Not trying to be hostile Jackie. You have valuable things to say; but if you react negatively to a post such as mine?

Sorry - I was being hostile and it was not fair. Please accept my apology. I simply believe 100% that people can have opinions of things they have not experienced. It reminds me of a parent telling a child not to touch a hot iron because they will be burned. Most children will listen -- only a few willl touch the iron to see if it is hot.

When we first sailed Silversea, it was a similar situation to Oceania. I had opinions and was told that I was not allowed to have opinions because I had not sailed on Silversea. So, we sailed on Silversea (only because we thought it would be a good experience). There was little about Silversea that surprised us. We certainly could not experience the "feeling" of Silversea before sailing on her....... but, we understood the policies, suite layouts, food quality, etc. Silversea remains a bit too formal for us but, when the itinerary is right, we have no problem sailing on SS. Using the same logic, we made a very informed decision not to sail on Seabourn or Crystal at this time. Oceania remains up in the air. We are curious about the two new ships on one hand but do not want to sail on a ship without included internet, included phone time, included ironing and included washing of clothes. We worked darn hard to get to the level we are at and have no desire to friviously change cruise lines.

While I do no expect you to understand, I am hopeful that you see my point of view.

Are there any guarantees that the chef, staff, etc. won't be on another ship in a couple of months? I have read positive reports on the Seabourn board for years. The past couple of months have been quite negative. Not sure what the cause is but I would be concerned if I was planning a a trip.

Don't be concerned. Smoking aside, which I know is a concern for many, (was not an issue when I was on Seabourn last December) Seabourn is very very good.

Archived