Norwegian Sun - Getting Off Early In Ports

boleynkid

Apologies in advance as I am sure this would have been covered before but I would much appreciate your experiences/advice please.

I am sure this will go for a lot of people but a couple of our "excursions" seem to require us to dis-embark very quickly, can you advise the best way to do this please ? We will be staying in one of the mini-suites and I thought I read somewhere that one of the "perks" was early dis-embarkation but I don't know if that is correct or not. Thank you.

Mini suites do not have any perks, other than being a larger cabin with a bath.

Are you booked with NCL shorex? Then you don't have to worry, otherwise you'll have to get in line early. I don't think there are many tender ports so you don't have to worry too much about that.

Mini suites do not have any perks, other than being a larger cabin with a bath.

Are you booked with NCL shorex? Then you don't have to worry, otherwise you'll have to get in line early. I don't think there are many tender ports so you don't have to worry too much about that.

Thanks Sauer-kraut, I'm not sure what NCL shorex is so perhaps that is something I need to look into.

Thanks Sauer-kraut, I'm not sure what NCL shorex is so perhaps that is something I need to look into.

Did you book your shore excursions through NCL ? If so , no worries.

If not , get in line a searly as possible.

On the Norwegian web site is Shore Excursions.

If you book a shore excursion through Norwegian prior to your cruise, you will need to paid now. You can book shore excursions on board ship. Either way, you will be given a time and place to meet for your excursion. If any excursion booked through Norwegian is late returning to the ship, the ship will wait.

If you book an excursions through an internet site, and they are late returning to the ship, the ship may or may not wait for you. If you miss the ship, it is up to you and at your expense to get to the next port of call.

When you can leave the ship for an excursion, depends on how long it takes the local officials to come aboard and "clear the ship". It usually does not take very long for the local officials to "clear the ship". Announcements will be made when you can go ashore.

Thanks for all the advice. "NCL Shorex" wasn't exactly that difficult for me to work out was it really...doh !!

Must admit I am slightly concerned now as I hadn't factored in any delays when I booked 3 external excursions. I didn't realise the ship had to be "cleared" first, I assumed once you docked you could dis-embark straightaway.....the naivety of a first time cruiser I guess.

We have booked many shore excusions independently and never had a problem with timing. This includes having a engine breakdown on a boat excusion on Antigua and part of the road vanishing in a landslip on Dominica!

Don't feel you can only go through the ship.

Thanks again for all your comments which have been most helpful. Final (I think) couple of questions if I may :

Once the ship has docked , purely as a estimate, how long does it take for the ship to be "cleared" and for people to dis-embark ?

Do you get given a "pass" of some kind as you leave the ship which, apart from anything else, can be used as a record to show how many people have gone ashore ?

I think I have read that people should get back to the ship 30 minutes before sailing but if you didn't arrive until say 5 minutes before she is due to go would that really be a problem ?

You swipe your room key card as you leave the ship and swipe again when you come back on board. Yes, you are supposed to be back on board 30 minutes prior to the posted departure time. Security will know exactly who is and who is not on board. Announcements are made listing the names of people who are listed as not being on board. On occasions,if a large number of people board at the same time, a card may not completely register before the next card is swiped. As long as the ramp (gangway) is still in place, you can board. Once the order is given to pull the gangway and close to door, nothing more can be done if you are late. I have seen it happen.

How long does it take to for the ship to be cleared? Usually within a half an hour or so of docking. there is no way to know in any given port on any given day.

I hope this helps.

You swipe your room key card as you leave the ship and swipe again when you come back on board. Yes, you are supposed to be back on board 30 minutes prior to the posted departure time. Security will know exactly who is and who is not on board. Announcements are made listing the names of people who are listed as not being on board. On occasions,if a large number of people board at the same time, a card may not completely register before the next card is swiped. As long as the ramp (gangway) is still in place, you can board. Once the order is given to pull the gangway and close to door, nothing more can be done if you are late. I have seen it happen.

How long does it take to for the ship to be cleared? Usually within a half an hour or so of docking. there is no way to know in any given port on any given day.

I hope this helps.

Thanks www3 that is very helpful and informative. I'm probably a bit more concerned now as on one of our excursions the ship is due to dock at 9am and we have to be at the marina (which is 15 mins walk apparently) by 10am sharp so it looks as though that one could become a problem.

I would not be all that concerned. Most tour operators know the ship life very well and will make accommodation. You can always contact them and tell them of your concerns. If it will ease your mind, ask them. Once you board The Sun, Shore Excursions in the lobby on Deck 5, will be able to answer any questions you have then. The point is to relax and have fun. The Sun is a great ship with a wonderful staff.

I am about to leave on my 18th cruise in a few weeks. I have lots and lots of friends among staff members. I travel as a solo passenger and my ship staff friends take very good care of me when I board a Norwegian ship.

NCL no longer guarantees that they will wait if one of the excursions booked thru them is late. Instead, they guarantee that they will get you to the next port. I was surprised to read this when we cruised in February.

I would not be all that concerned. Most tour operators know the ship life very well and will make accommodation. You can always contact them and tell them of your concerns. If it will ease your mind, ask them. Once you board The Sun, Shore Excursions in the lobby on Deck 5, will be able to answer any questions you have then. The point is to relax and have fun. The Sun is a great ship with a wonderful staff.

I am about to leave on my 18th cruise in a few weeks. I have lots and lots of friends among staff members. I travel as a solo passenger and my ship staff friends take very good care of me when I board a Norwegian ship.

Thanks again www3, I think my concern with this particular excursion is that it is a 9.30 check-in (docking at 9am) and a 15 minute walk to the marina from where the excursion departs. Also the fact that the tour finishes at 4pm and you have to be on board by 4.30. As you infer though, I'm sure all the operators take all the timings into account. It can't be good for business to have clients miss tours or even worse then not get back in time for a ship's departure.

Has the tour operator been reviewed on cruise critic or trip advisor? If reviews are positive it might reassure you.

Yes he has 50something and pretty much all of the reviews have been good bar one or two but I guess that can always happen. The tour operator has also been very prompt and helpful with his replies so, despite our concerns, we are very tempted to go for it.

As mentioned, reputable tour operators are experts at understanding a ship's schedule. They are well aware of the time involved in you exiting the ship. They will be waiting for you unless you are extremely late. Do plan to be back on board no later than the 30 before departure time. I've seen the gang plank pulled only minutes after. And tour operators do know that they must have you back on time. These tours operate many times during the cruise season and they are the experts. And just get in the line to get off the ship, be patient, and the pushing and shoving will move more quickly than you imagine. The tour operator will most likely be holding a sign up to identify themselves as you exit onto the dock.

Archived