I think I have a problem

beans79

I tell myself any vacation I take, cruise or whatever that I am not going to buy lots of new clothes or items.....but it never fails I do anyway. For my up coming cruise, I didn't think I bought a lot of new things. When I went in my spare room to start getting some things ready to pack a little, I noticed all the "new items" I have acquired for my trip. OOPS lol. Thankfully my husband does not mind :D

Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm much less into acquiring new cruise clothes than I was a few years ago. I've got a cruise wardrobe that works for me, and now pretty much I just replace items that have gotten wrecked. If buying new stuff works for you, though, have fun ;) and enjoy :D

Suitcases are a big downfall for me. So much so that 5 years ago I got a second, part time, supposedly temporary job in a luggage store. I'm still there.

I pretty much got over buying cruise clothes a few years ago. But we do take at least one cruise a year and I will replenish just prior to the cruise if I need something. It has to be clothing I will wear at home, not just for the cruise.

I have a cruise coming up in a few weeks and for that I purchased a new pair of shorts (the ones I love the most have a stain now). I picked up some lightweight capris from Chicos last week, along with a couple short sleeved tops I found on the sale rack.

The most envious I can get over the OP is the fact she has a spare bedroom. No such thing in our house:rolleyes:

I'm seriously thinking of buying some new underpants, though.

It amuses when I read people comments they take old undies and trash them on vacation, to free up packing space for souvenirs:confused::rolleyes: I have to wear decent underwear no matter what.

OK, Since we're talking about buying new suitcases, what are people thoughts about hard vs soft sided? I have only had soft, but, I have found a fantastic set of hard sided that I adore. I posted in another thread and got no comments. I cruise twice a year and take 1 or 2 driving weekend trips if that matters. Since this is fashion, I will post a pic of these beauties! :D

OK, Since we're talking about buying new suitcases, what are people thoughts about hard vs soft sided? I have only had soft, but, I have found a fantastic set of hard sided that I adore. I posted in another thread and got no comments. I cruise twice a year and take 1 or 2 driving weekend trips if that matters. Since this is fashion, I will post a pic of these beauties! :D

I heard really good things about the hard sided with the main negative being there is no outside pocket to stow things in. When it came down to buying luggage I couldn't make myself pay $500 a bag for the lightest hard side I could find (and that was at an outlet). So I went with the soft sided IT luggage (27" bag weighs about 5 pounds).

8529589617_dacc82a7ba.jpg

I have this issue with every cruise and Disney vacation.... MUST HAVE NEW: shorts, tops, swimsuit, shoes and of course new undies!!!

Now multiply this by 3 because I have 13 and 11 year old daughters! :eek:

The oldest is taller than me and is growing faster than I can clothe her and then there is my youngest who thinks everything at Justice is perfect for a cruise.

It is totally over the top.

Weighing in on the Hard vs Soft side luggage... my .02 is that I have always overpacked soft-sided luggage. I stuff it to the gills and have had to repack into other bags while right there at the check-in desk to avoid the overage charge. I have yet (knock on wood) to experience that with our purchase of hard-sided luggage 3 years ago! So worth it!

Yep,

Hi my name is Stacy, I am a cruise clothes shopaholic-- I wonder if they have a support group for people like me

You just found the right group.......unfortunately, the encouragement is to continue shopping.:D

Says she who just brought home a new carry-on........

Yep,

Hi my name is Stacy, I am a cruise clothes shopaholic-- I wonder if they have a support group for people like me

Sign me up....luckily we have a spare bedroom, which is totally packed. I've had to purchase additional storage/chests and clothes racks. For our trip in 3 weeks, I have acquired too much stuff and can't decide what to leave behind, which is painful. I get DH clothes together---he doesn't care if he has to wear something 3-4 times, which lets me bring more!!

I want a extra closet or extra bedroom. We live in Baja and are just lucky to have closets. Most older homes down here have no closets or storage.

I do have a extra bed and it is full of clothes for our May land/sea trip to Europe. i have thought about putting it in my new suitcase, but packing 2 months early seems a little crazy.

This is our first trip to Europe and we are so excited. I sit on my computer at night and keep ordering more stuff for our trip. Yesterday I ordered a new camera and bathing suit.

Boy do I need help.

Lynnn

->->-> Same problem here. Although I no longer buy cruise specific clothes - I'll buy stuff that will work at home.

We're sailing in 7 weeks. I keep on wanting to shop but so far have not bought anything new. I'm instead browsing on line and posting things to a Pinterest board so I can figure out what I like/don't like. I figure it's saving enough money that we'll be able to afford another cruise this year. :p:p

->->-> Same problem here. Although I no longer buy cruise specific clothes - I'll buy stuff that will work at home.

This is what I do too. I try and make sure that I will have a use for it at home but that doesn't always work especially when it comes to cold weather gear.

Came home yesterday with two new swimsuits and some dressier tops. Also acquired a snazzy if you can call yellow snazzy, handbag to match some new Nine West yellow bejeweled with a starfish sandals (sound horrible don't they :+))? I got at Christmas. The bag will do for shoving a few things in when going to the beach or a run ashore. (Not something I would be seen around town with though)!

I never normally wear anything yellow so it was will I, won't I buy it scenario? So all into the cruise room it goes, along with the new Baggallini and 6 new pairs of shoe I have bought in the last few weeks.

There are so many thoughts on luggage. Some people want the best money can buy, some want the cheapest and don't mind buying new pieces frequently.

If you can get to a luggage store (not a luggage department)...go see for yourself and compare. There are all different levels of hard and soft sided cases. Prices range from under $100 up to over $1000. Then there are the really expensive cases, like LV.

I see luggage all the time and my personal choice is soft sided. I have Tumi pieces and Briggs & Riley pieces. I have some older Victorinox.

My sister has Rimowa she purchased through me and I'm jealous of it every time we travel together. Expensive stuff, but wow, can it pack a lot in a light weight case.

I'm still lusting after other people's spare bedrooms. Just think, I could buy more luggage and store it in there :p

Edit to add, a good luggage store will price match online sites. We don't worry about it too much, since the price is pretty much the same no matter where you buy it, even when Ebags or Macy's claim to have pieces on "sale", it's usually our every day price. We just won't price match bidding sites.

came down to buying luggage I couldn't make myself pay $500 a bag for the lightest hard side I could find (and that was at an outlet).

The set I posted cost $160, expensive for me, but, I know cheap for some. I really don't need the middle sized one, I tried to find loose "pieces" but couldn't. I just love purple and I think it would SO stand out in the terminal at the pier...:)

We don't do big vacations very often, so when we do, I buy new stuff! Even socks! Not tons of expensive stuff, but I want to look good in pictures and we end up with fresh stuff at home, too.

I have even bought my daughter a few things for our upcoming cruise, in October! lol. I will pick up things for my son too, as I find good deals.

Archived