Carnival 'dropped the ball' on my wife's Birthday decorations!

Turbo6ta

For anyone here that may order room decorations in the future, I hope you fare better than we did on our Victory cruise.

We just got off the boat yesterday (4 Mar) from a 4-day Miami, Key West, Cozumel cruise ... Since the day of embarkation was my wife's birthday, I thought it would be nice to suprise her and order the Happy Birthday cabin decorations from Carnival.

I ordered these decorations a little over a week prior to the cruise, and of course they charged my credit card right away for the cost.

I told Carnival that I wanted the room decorations set up in the cabin when we arrive (28 Feb), since that was my wife's birthday. They said this would not be a problem.

Well, we we got to our balcony cabin, the room was clean and completely ready for occupancy, but there were no decorations. I made a call to find out want happened, and was told that the decorations would be put in the room that night ... of course, that never happened, so at 8:00pm I checked again, and was told there was some sort of problem and the decorations would be put in the room the following morning (day late and a dollar short!)

That also never happened ... By this time was was not happy at all. I checked again and was told that the decorations were never put on the boat in the first place, but they would make arrangements to credit-back my Mastercard the cost I had paid in advance.

I see that there still has not been a credit-back to my Mastercard, so I guess I will call Carnival today and complain to them.

We very much enjoyed this cruise, but I am not going to forgive Carnival for screwing up what was to be a nice birthday suprise for my wife!

They really 'dropped the ball' in this one ... Thank you very much Carnival !

067.jpg

073.jpg

For anyone here that may order room decorations in the future, I hope you fare better than we did on our Victory cruise.

We just got off the boat yesterday (4 Mar) from a 4-day Miami, Key West, Cozumel cruise ... Since the day of embarkation was my wife's birthday, I thought it would be nice to suprise her and order the Happy Birthday cabin decorations from Carnival.

I ordered these decorations a little over a week prior to the cruise, and of course they charged my credit card right away for the cost.

I told Carnival that I wanted the room decorations set up in the cabin when we arrive (28 Feb), since that was my wife's birthday. They said this would not be a problem.

Well, we we got to our balcony cabin, the room was clean and completely ready for occupancy, but there were no decorations. I made a call to find out want happened, and was told that the decorations would be put in the room that night ... of course, that never happened, so at 8:00pm I checked again, and was told there was some sort of problem and the decorations would be put in the room the following morning (day late and a dollar short!)

That also never happened ... By this time was was not happy at all. I checked again and was told that the decorations were never put on the boat in the first place, but they would make arrangements to credit-back my Mastercard the cost I had paid in advance.

I see that there still has not been a credit-back to my Mastercard, so I guess I will call Carnival today and complain to them.

We very much enjoyed this cruise, but I am not going to forgive Carnival for screwing up what was to be a nice birthday suprise for my wife!

They really 'dropped the ball' in this one ... Thank you very much Carnival !

G]

I read more and more problems with cabin set up regardless of doing themselves through BV or going through JH.

Maybe it's because those who have success don't post about it.

Yet enough disappointed do, showing there's something seriously wrong.

To the OP: kudos to you for being thoughtful and trying to put a smile on your wife's face.

MANY husbands should learn from your thoughtfulness!

Thank you very much for your understanding. My wife and I have had a few problems as of late ... Some my fault, and some her fault.

In an attempt to show just a little thoughtfulness on my part, I had hoped something as simple as a few Happy Birthday cabin decorations would be a nice touch, and show that I was honestly thinking of her on her special day ... well, I tried

Thank you very much for your understanding. My wife and I have had a few problems as of late ... Some my fault, and some her fault.

In an attempt to show just a little thoughtfulness on my part, I had hoped something as simple as a few Happy Birthday cabin decorations would be a nice touch, and show that I was honestly thinking of her on her special day ... well, I tried

Trust me, I also totally get this. I spend quite a bit of time trying to plan things to surprise my wife and it's really annoying when things don't go as planned.

While I am sure you were disappointed in not having decorations for your wife's birthday I woud hope that in spite of paper decorations not appearing in your stateroom, that the cruise itself would have been enjoyable enough.

And if you couldn't enjoy the rest of your cruise because of paper decorations then maybe cruising isn't for you. You might be happier with an All Inclusive vacation.

Thank you for the heads up on this. I have ordered the birthday decorations for my son's room on our upcoming April cruise. I noticed yesterday that I never received the email confirmation from BV like I have in the past when I ordered items (and they did charge my CC). I was thinking I need to call them and I will do that today!

I totally understand your frustration, I would not be happy AT ALL if this happened to me. And it was great of you to do that for your wife, even though it didn't work out.

Kim

It is unfortunate that your plans were not followed through on.......for me it doesn't rise to the level of being unforgivable.....mistakes do happen....I wonder if you had ordered the decorations a little further in advance if that would have helped to ensure that the decorations were actually delivered to the ship in time for your sailing?

I have always been told that items ordered through BV or even shore excursions had to be made no less than 2 weeks prior to sailing.

I made last minute (about 10 days out) reservations for a retirement celebration at a local steakhouse during the Christmas holiday season. We were to have a private dining room and a special menu......I even called on the day of the dinner to confirm the reservation, but thought that just confirming our name and number in our party would be sufficient.....wrong, the 20 of us arrived at the restaurant only for them to not have the private dining room available, apparently to them we were just the party of 20 arriving at 7.....except there were 2 parties of 20 arriving at 7.......and no special menu.....

We ordered off the menu and couldn't even be seated together as there was no way to configure tables in the regular dining room during normal seating.......

Their excuse was a new hostess......still a big disappointment for me.

I understand your frustration. On our last cruise, SO ordered the champagne & rose & chocolate amenity as a surprise for me. He was not happy when it was several hours before it was delivered (long after his beer & cooler). Did it ruin our cruise, no not at all. But he was trying to do something special, that did not go off as planned.

It is unfortunate that your plans were not followed through on.......for me it doesn't rise to the level of being unforgivable.....mistakes do happen....I wonder if you had ordered the decorations a little further in advance if that would have helped to ensure that the decorations were actually delivered to the ship in time for your sailing?

I have always been told that items ordered through BV or even shore excursions had to be made no less than 2 weeks prior to sailing.

I made last minute (about 10 days out) reservations for a retirement celebration at a local steakhouse during the Christmas holiday season. We were to have a private dining room and a special menu......I even called on the day of the dinner to confirm the reservation, but thought that just confirming our name and number in our party would be sufficient.....wrong, the 20 of us arrived at the restaurant only for them to not have the private dining room available, apparently to them we were just the party of 20 arriving at 7.....except there were 2 parties of 20 arriving at 7.......and no special menu.....

We ordered off the menu and couldn't even be seated together as there was no way to configure tables in the regular dining room during normal seating.......

Their excuse was a new hostess......still a big disappointment for me.

And the next time you have a big party guess you will go someplace else.

Carnival screwed up our 8yo son's birthday cake as well on the Splendor. We spent the extra money onboard for a customized cake to be delivered at dinner, and told the hostess seating us and waiter as well. 45 minutes after main course is cleared, still no cake, and the waiter and Maitre D' have no clue where to find it or what to do. We ended up leaving with a rather upset son!

We heard of others on the cruise who had similar problems as well.

Carnival screwed up our 8yo son's birthday cake as well on the Splendor. We spent the extra money onboard for a customized cake to be delivered at dinner, and told the hostess seating us and waiter as well. 45 minutes after main course is cleared, still no cake, and the waiter and Maitre D' have no clue where to find it or what to do. We ended up leaving with a rather upset son!

We heard of others on the cruise who had similar problems as well.

One would think the MD would know what to do. Apologize and give you a free one the next night.

And the next time you have a big party guess you will go someplace else.

Well......not necessarily.....mistakes happen in all areas of life....I will probably be much more specific when making the reservation and the following up with a confirmed reservation, ensuring that the ressie is in MY name and that there are NO OTHER parties of that size planned at the same time. And I might even insist on speaking (or actually meeting) with someone like the manager and having a written contract.....

I did just now go check Carnival FAQ....and it does say that telephone orders can be made just 24 hours in advance or by Friday before a Sunday or Monday sailing.

Online orders have to be made 1 week in advance.

My situation was not as bad as my Nephews wedding reception could have been. They reserved a local banquet hall and paid a deposit and had a signed contract.......TWO days prior to their wedding they were contacted by the banquet hall to say they had double booked the venue......:eek::eek::eek:.....fortunately there are plenty of lawyers in the family and it came down to who ever contracted and paid the deposit first (WE DID)...got the venue.......Not sure what the other couple did, but I would have sued the venue.....

Just a humorous (at least to me) story: A couple of years ago, my best friend and I went on a girls only 4 day bday cruise. It was my bday weekend. Anyways a Happy birthday cake was ordered from BV for the cabin a couple weeks before sailing. We got on the ship and to the room and there was a cake...a heart shaped Happy Anniversary Cake!!!

We both were cracking up and laughed about it the whole rest of the trip. I did call Guest Services about it, mainly because I had a feeling there was an anniversary couple on board somewhere who maybe got my birthday cake. Guest Services had no clue how the switch happened and offered a replacement cake in addition to the cake we already had. But since it was the same flavor I ordered we just kept it and to this day refer to that trip as our Anniversary trip!

Unlike OP, at least we got a cake and Carnival tried to make it right, but I can understand being disappointed in the surprise not coming through. Glad you had a good cruise

Thank you for the heads up on this. I have ordered the birthday decorations for my son's room on our upcoming April cruise. I noticed yesterday that I never received the email confirmation from BV like I have in the past when I ordered items (and they did charge my CC). I was thinking I need to call them and I will do that today!

I totally understand your frustration, I would not be happy AT ALL if this happened to me. And it was great of you to do that for your wife, even though it didn't work out.

Kim

Sorry for you disappointment!

I have ordered decorations on 3 different occasions and they were there when we arrived. I ordered them months in advance, maybe it was a timing thing.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise!

I've ordered the birthday decorations twice on 2 different cruises months in advance and didn't receive them either time. It seems Carnival sells them and doesn't put them aside for you so those who sail first get them no matter when you ordered them. Luckily, for my kids 18th birthday, I brought some stuff from home just in case.

Sorry this happened to you OP and I'm sure you'll get your refund. I'm sure it would have been a nice surprise for your wife but it sounds like you had a great time even without them :D

I totally understand the OP frustration. He paid for it and did not recieve it. Of course, "ship happens", but it can still be frustrating and disappointing when it happens. The OP did not say that he was suing Carnival or anything, he just shared his experience with what happened...then he followed up and said they had a good cruise.

I agree with the poster that said, if decorations are no big deal, why would Carnival offer the package?

I don't suppose I'll be lucky enough for the dentist to have double booked for this root canal that I'm suppose to have a 9........:o.......I couldn't be that lucky......:p

In all seriousness....I'm not sure I would risk setting up stuff for embarkation.......And I would either go to Guest Services or the Formalities shop to confirm my printed out confirmation after I got on the ship.

At least then, if they have no record of your plans other arrangements (flowers, cake, champagne....) can be purchased on board and the celebration and surprise is at least partially saved...

A few years ago some of the family were on a cruise and we had told the maitre d' about a couple of nieces' birthday. We could hear them singing happy birthday all around us but never stopped at our table. Obviously a disappointment and a couple of upset nieces but they were far from traumatized for life. Cruising is still one of their favorite vacations. It would be silly to hold a grudge against the maitre d', much less Carnival. Why poison yourself and become bitter? Let it go. Life goes on.

Well, I just called Carnival a few minutes ago. They are doing a credit-back to my Mastercard.

The lady at Carnival had me on hold for awhile in an attempt to find out what really happened. What happened was they had already ran out of Happy Birthday cabin decorations on the previous cruise, so there were none for us.

In this case, it's not the money (just $37.45), but the thought that they didn't even let me know ahead of time that there would be no decorations.

As I said before, we very much enjoyed the cruise and the crew. I have no complaints at all about anything else.

The only reason I posted this is to let someone else that may be ordering any type of optional cabin decorations, that it may be a crap-shoot whether or not you get them ... and obviously Carnival don't take the time to let you know ahead of time if your not going to get them.

I'm just disappointed ... that's all

Well that sucks...and I hope Carnival gets your money back to you right away.....I would knock off a letter as well just to let them know you were dissaponted...not to be mean ...but if they (corporate) doesn't know there is a problem they cant fix it for others who walk in your steps......

I'm glad your Beautiful Wife and You had a great Cruise and i look forward to your review... :)

Well, I just called Carnival a few minutes ago. They are doing a credit-back to my Mastercard.

The lady at Carnival had me on hold for awhile in an attempt to find out what really happened. What happened was they had already ran out of Happy Birthday cabin decorations on the previous cruise, so there were none for us.

In this case, it's not the money (just $37.45), but the thought that they didn't even let me know ahead of time that there would be no decorations.

As I said before, we very much enjoyed the cruise and the crew. I have no complaints at all about anything else.

The only reason I posted this is to let someone else that may be ordering any type of optional cabin decorations, that it may be a crap-shoot whether or not you get them ... and obviously Carnival don't take the time to let you know ahead of time if your not going to get them.

I'm just disappointed ... that's all

The first time I ordered them, I found on on Cruise Critic from someone like you, just putting it out there so we were able to change them to Congratulations, just to have something in the cabin for my friend. So I for one thank people who post about these things.

The 2nd time for my kids birthday, they were turning 18 during the cruise, I wasn't taking any chances so I brought things along but like you said, they sold out before my sailing and I wasn't told and I ordered them 6 months before I sailed. You would think that they would put a booking # on them and put them aside for you so they can have them, just like they do the other items they sell on their Bon Voyage site. I've received beer coolers, jackets and gift sets no problem. It just seems to be the birthday decorations. :(

Archived