Is A Hotel Location Near Cruise Ship Terminal In Venice Really The Best Choice?

namaste1223

How easy is it to get luggage on and off a water taxi? I have read that porters are non-existant. I want to stay on the island, but I have this image of my rollerbags falling in the canal as I attempt to get them on the vaporetto.

It's easy to get luggage on the water taxi--the driver will load it for you. But you'll pay handsomely--maybe 50 euros. Alilaguna also has someone to help with baggage.

We took our luggage on a vaporetto with no trouble, but we were getting on at very uncrowded platform, and onto a very uncrowded boat. I would NOT try taking luggage on a vaporetto that is cruising the Grand Canal--lines 1 or 2 for sure. We had been to Venice before and were familiar with the route we were taking so we knew we would be okay.

we booked Hotel Antiche Figure, very nice place.....BUT we each had a carry on and a larger piece. Going over the bridges was not fun in either direction, even just one or two.

I just booked the only hotel right at Piazelle Roma for this summer that you do not have to go over any bridges...Santa Chiara.....

I was going to check the bags at Piazelle Roma....

but decided to go the easier route.

We will then walk around on foot,

and possibly buy a Vaporetto pass again...not sure yet....

And we are a quick walk to the Coop supermarket and a large selection of wine. It is just past the first Vaporetto stop.

Bernadette

Bernadette

I just booked the only hotel right at Piazelle Roma for this summer that you do not have to go over any bridges...Santa Chiara.....

Ca Doge is the other hotel at Piazzale Roma; no bridge to cross. It's in the far left corner on this map. Next to the People Mover. The Santa Chiara is by the Canal at the other corner of the Piazzale Roma.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/hotelmaps/marittima.htm

Yes, the Antiche Figure is a bit of a walk and 2 bridges. We passed it a few times during our walks. Nice looking place.

Edited by mapleleaves
map

Pia is correct about just storing the big bags to ease choices of where to stay.

Yesterday, I booked the WRONG DATE...hahahaha when I e-mailed to change, the rate and room I booked was not available...so the rate went up 43 Euros...

I booked instead a B&B.....and we will do the drop the bags for a fee at the Piazelle Roma area....then go to the B&B...for 1/4 the price....

It is furthur from where we stayed last year- but with small carry-ons...it will be EZ.

Bernadette

Not sure how I missed La Doge last year...but rates are double my rate....so since we now know our way around- we will get adventerous. :)

It's only one night....

but now I gotta find where the luggage storage is...by PR...we already know where the supermarket with Wine is- Coop...not too far a walk from the first vaporetto stop by PR.

Bernadette

Not sure how I missed La Doge last year...but rates are double my rate....so since we now know our way around- we will get adventerous. :)

It's only one night....

but now I gotta find where the luggage storage is...by PR...we already know where the supermarket with Wine is- Coop...not too far a walk from the first vaporetto stop by PR.

Bernadette

Left Luggage is almost next door to Ca Doge.

Yeah, hotel prices in Venice are pretty high for what you get. Did you price Best Western Olimpia and Arlecchino; only 1 small bridge to cross.

Another option to consider if you prefer all the modern amenties is to stay by Mestre train station ... good prices and (easy access to Venice by train or bus for under 2 E, 10 minutes).

I checked out the Hotel Santa Lucia by the Venice train station when I was there last time (for future trips). It's a budget hotel, bare bones so no amenities but a nice place, very clean with a courtyard/garden. It all depends on what you're looking for. Have a great trip!

We leave in just over two months for our cruise and we will be staying two nights at the Hotel Papadopoli. It doesn't look too far away from the PR. Looks like one bridge to cross.

Yes, only one bridge, and very easy to find. If you take the middle bridge you walk by the Hotel's white rose garden. A beautiful hotel from the outside; I'm sure it's just as lovely inside. Have a great trip!

• 3 years later...
Can someone possibly give an update on this thread.We want to travel from the airport to a 3 star hotel near the Cruise Terminal.

Here is a good review of all the hotels in Piazzale Roma (the area closest to the Marittima cruise terminal, where most ships dock), including their location and number of stars:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels-piazzale-roma.htm

Many, many people have recommended Santa Chiara. I can also recommend the Papadopoli (4 stars) if you get a good deal.

I think the express bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma is fairly easy, unless you want to pay the big bucks for a water taxi. (Not significantly easier, IMO, but of course it's an experience....)

I have booked the Hotel Pantalon (Crosera S Pantalon 3942 Sestriere Dorsoduro Vicino Ca Foscari)for a forthcoming cruise.Can a member please advise me what transport i should use from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the cruise terminal.

I have booked the Hotel Pantalon (Crosera S Pantalon 3942 Sestriere Dorsoduro Vicino Ca Foscari)for a forthcoming cruise.Can a member please advise me what transport i should use from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the cruise terminal.

Your hotel web site suggests a bus from the airport to Piazalle Roma then the water bus #1 or 2 to S Toma where you disembark and walk a couple of blocks.

(I recommend the ATVO airport express bus )

http://hotelpantalon.com/pdfmap.pdf

To get to the pier, take the water bus back to P Roma then walk across the square to the entrance of the People Mover which will drop you off NEAR the pier. OR, perhaps your cruise line has a shuttle from PRoma to the pier.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/people-mover-to-marittima-cruise-terminals.htm

All of this assumes you can easily manage your luggage. If you can't, check your large luggage at the Left Luggage facility (near the People Mover entrance) and take an overnight bag to the hotel.