Michelle’s Journey to Paradise – 2/28/13

Vigorosity

IMG_0341.jpg

Greetings from Knoxville, Tennessee!

Thanks for stopping in. Have a seat. I’m Michelle, a college sophomore originally from Ohio, with a deep desire to get away for a short spring break-ish type vacation. This trip was with Jason, another college student with as much (if not more) of a longing to see some sunshine. I’ve cruised once before on the Fascination two years ago and have been craving another one every day since! I booked this trip three weeks in advance, so that may be last minute to you guys (to me, that’s an eternity!) Let’s get started, shall we?

The Booking:

After the idea of a cruise was tossed around and I searched for two weeks, we booked what I thought was a pretty decent resident deal for a guarantee oceanview. With taxes, it ran to $572 for both of us for a four day trip to Cozumel on the Carnival Paradise. We ended up with a main deck cabin on the starboard side. I then started my extensive research of what to do in Cozumel!

IMG_0032.gif

The Drive:

We started out around 11pm on February 27th, headed toward Tampa. Jason had to close that night at his job, much to his dismay. The first part was pretty uneventful for me, seeing as I am a damn good sleeper during car trips. Around the morning time February 28th, I was slightly awake and we were both craving something to drink and food more substantial than off-brand cheese dippers.

JrDippers-Cheese.jpg

So we get off the interstate somewhere close to Podunk, Georgia. Little to our knowledge, we had landed in a new part of America where you get absolutely nothing your way. An iced coffee, a parfait and a hot caramel mocha doesn’t sound too complicated to me, but somehow a ghetto McDonalds (which was halfway through a renovation in which some odd years ago it used to be a gas station) managed to mess it up. After being denied a refund twice and still having a freezing “hot” coffee and frozen-solid strawberries, we left it in the parking lot and finagled our way to Burger King. This is how this conversation went.

Jason: “Can I get a hot caramel mocha?” (It’s definitely on the menu)

Angry Woman: “No.”

Jason: “Uhhh…do you have any hot coffee?”

After receiving terrible coffee for the second time, we figured it was time to hightail it out of there. Pulling out of their weird parking lot we saw an old gas station, which apparently it was easier to tape the trash up rather than throw it away.

IMG_0034.jpg

Low and behold the first actual picture I’ve taken on this trip.

IMG_0035.jpg

….and the second.

OMG I'm from Georgia :eek:

I don't see an option other than enjoying life! And tell your husband to try the Royale Black and Milds if he hasn't. (With the wood tip, of course!)

After a little researching, I found out that it was Exit 39 off of I-75. A terrible little place called Adel, Georgia. Enjoy! ;)

OMG Adel is straight up hick country!!

The Fourth Day:

This is the absolute only day that I was able to contain the majority of my excitement and let Jason sleep in. So I threw on a swimsuit and hopped up to Lido for an early morning breakfast. I think this beats breakfast in bed…

IMG_0393.jpg

Impatient me was also able to wait for and sit in the luke-warm tub for an entire hour and manage to not get bored! I met some sweet people and had random conversations. (How has everyone been on 50,000 cruises?!) The water also felt pretty good on my pale-sunburnt skin. (I put on sunscreen, I promise!) This is just a lazy day. I think it’s finally the relaxing part of vacation that you are forced to take after you use up your entire reservoir of energy in the beginning. I ended up grabbing Jason breakfast in bed and to wake him up for the newlywed show at 11:00. But before we left, it was time for breakfast of a different sort…

IMG_0400.jpg

Tequila shots before noon, anyone? Anyway, the newlywed show was hilarious. The questions are funny and the married couples answers are even funnier.

Steve: “If stranded on a deserted island, would you rather a hooker or a missionary for company?”

Oldest man: “A hooker in the missionary postion!”

My favorite part was when some random, loud noise sounded throughout the theatre and Steve joked “Those small boats better stay out of the way!” Since it was around lunch time, we went to the American buffet. Much to my surprise…it was also the Chocolate Extravaganza! Unfortunately, I just wasn’t satisfied with much of the food anywhere on Lido. I settled on the classic cheese sauce with a few French fries hidden somewhere underneath. For some reason, the chocolate fountain was around the outside grill part, and the rest of the chocolate desserts were inside? Either way, the chocolate dipped pineapple was all I really liked! (I would stay away from the chocolate sushi, it’s horrid! Who would have thought? Lol!)

IMG_0403.jpg

Honestly, after all this hard work, we decided on a nap. Where else can you sleep, eat, sleep, eat, and sleep again with nothing else at all in between? It’s great! Once I woke up, I wanted to check my account and pay it off, and there was thankfully no line at guest services. Jason was feeling sick, so we forked out $8.35 for some medicine. I decided my sickness was a little different, so we forked out around $10.20 for a spicy pineapple martini. The medicine made him feel drowsy, so he went to lay down while I got into the hot tub, with my cute cup filled with “juice.” (Cheers to the Serenity staff for immediately kicking a 14 or 15 year old out!) After a Black and Mild on the Lido, it was time to head back to the cabin.

Jason decided to get up for dinner. Beyond the crab cake, I didn’t care for the French onion soup or veal parmigiana. Service was so slow and the desserts didn’t seem appetizing to either of us, so we skipped out. We both concluded that either we were so impressed at the start by the food, or it’s an afterthought on the last day! Who knows! We called it an early night and cuddled with this guy…

IMG_0405.jpg

Archived