30th Anniversary sailing on Silhouette 2/24/13

youwash

Here is my review that I promised in an earlier thread.

My 3 sisters and I, and our husbands sailed together with another couple that we had met on a RCI "sister only"cruise last year. They were at our table in the MDR and we got along with them so wonderful that we adopted her as a sister.

We had 4 cabins in Aqua Class, 1639,1641,1643,1645 Aft-Port. All were great cabins. Good views and quiet. They are on the good side of the ship for the ports, we were always looking down on the dock areas. Great for in Labadee but in Jamiaca in the afternoon they had a steel band playing in the shopping area that was pretty loud. It is OK for a while but got old pretty quick. 1641 the bed is closer to the bathroom and 1643 the bed is closer to the balcony. (dont know the other 2 as I forgot to look in those)

Our friends had a suite and were happy with it but are planning on sailing in Aqua Class for their next cruise. I never got to see the suite-I meant too but ran out of time. Where did that week go?

Embarkation was wonderful. We stayed the night before at the Sheraton Airport and took their shuttle to the port at 10 AM. After we droped other passengers off at another ship and unloaded our luggage and as we walked up to the building they opened the doors. Only ones in line for Aqua class security and then walked right up to check in and then upstairs to a nice sitting area to wait for boarding. On the ship by 11:15 with my first drink in my hand.

We did eat lunch in the buffet as it was pretty quiet since it was so early.

Love their bread pudding that they had every day.

Rooms were ready by 1:10. I loved the ammenities (sp) of Aqua.

The bed and bedding was great. Comforter and pillows were perfect for us, and noticably better than regular balcony on Solltice last year. Flowers in vase were bright and fresh looking all week. Fruit bowl was also fresh all week and the grapes were very good. Sparkling wine was on ice and kept on ice by steward until I emptied it. The SHOWER is the most wonderful ever. Now I want to remodel mine at home to put in one of those. You will also notice the fog-free mirror. The canapies were delivered the first day and they were kind of good but the second day they were different and not quite so good. After that there was a form left to fill out with a delivery time so I didn't fill it out and they didn't bring them. We were given a small nylon/net bag with lip gloss and face mist and later in the cruise a canvas bag.

All 10 of us had the premium drink package, courtesy of 123, Go.

Of course it was wonderful. The bars were never crowded and it was always easy to get a drink from a waiter. (prime-time the martini bar was PRETTY busy) I sure could go for one of those now.

As I end this first part I have to add that on the last morning I was talking with my husband and was trying to think of something negative or bad that happened on the cruise and the only thing I could think of was that on the first day I ordered a sparkling raspberry ricky at the Ensamble Bar and THEY DIDN'T PUT A RASPBERRY IN IT! LOL But I am serious-that's the only thing!

Any other sister's "lurking" around here can put in their two cents worth

I'm looking forward to reading your review as we are on this itinerary next year. Any port/shore excursion advice will be appreciated.

PS - I'm surprised you didn't post live about the horrors of being deprived of your raspberry. ;)

I thought I would add my idea as we were on the same cuise. I would get an overwater bungalow in Labadee, they are wonderful and it is a beautiful stop. Also the Cozumel Bar hop, not offered from the ship is a good time.

Also, as they did, get the premium drink package it is well worth the price!!

I thought I would add my idea as we were on the same cuise. I would get an overwater bungalow in Labadee, they are wonderful and it is a beautiful stop. Also the Cozumel Bar hop, not offered from the ship is a good time.

Also, as they did, get the premium drink package it is well worth the price!!

As you have brought up Labadee I will expound on it first.

Before we sailed we were going to book 2 of the Cabanas since we were a group of 8, but by the time we had made a decision there was only one left and we weren't sure how many they allow in one. So we were going to "wing it" and just go to the beach.

As I mentioned, our friends were in a Suite. They had rented a Cabana, that can only be rented by people in the suites. They had talked to the person on the ship who would be in charge of them and were told they could invite guests so they told us to come with them.

One of our couples had scheduled an island tour so there were 6 of us. We went to the gate area for the Cabanas and told them who we were joining and that there were 6 of us and they went and checked with our friends to make sure we were invited and then came back and took us to them and gave us the arm bands. The young man who did this was a little hesitant about 6 people at first but when we told him we were all invited it seemed no problem. Their Cabana was right next to the water and it was wonderful. Our Cabana Boy got us drinks with our cards and brought us floats and came and got us for the "special" BBQ lunch.

It was ALMOST perfect. Just as everyone is in line for lunch they had a problem with the grill. As my husband was watching, he could see what the problem was. It seems the grill got a little too hot and a cook panicked and threw water on it-like 2 gallons -but it was a gas grill. So it was OUT of ORDER immediately. It took them a while to be able to get some of the hot food stocked again.

I just want to add that this was our experience and others could have different problems joining with a large number of guests.

So in answer I would for sure book a cabana the next time I am going to Labadee. It is right up there in price but now I know it would be worth it.(even if it isn't the Suite Cabanas)

I would even book my cruise based on wether it is going to Labadee or not. It was so wonderful, so beautiful.

When we booked the sisters cruise for next year on the Reflection, it was either that or on the Silhouette again, and now that I have been to Labadee I kind of wish we were doing this same again.. But we went for the new ship (us girls usually don't care where we are going) and I am sure we will love it.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun and it is just the start:D

I am sailing her next month and sharing a cabana with 5 of my

roll call mates:) so there will be 6 of us too!

Looking forward to it! Can't wait to read more of your review:D

Thanks, interesting about the cabanas and being able to use the ships drinks packages there.:D

Everything for eating or drinking on Labadee comes off the ship that day. It's like putting on a beach picnic for 2,500 people

The Alcoves

We rented 2 Alcoves for the 2 sea days. They turned out to be all that we were looking for. The attendant opened the cover so that we could get some sun and then when it got to hot we had it closed again. The attendant got us whatever drinks we wanted using out drink package and brought us a fruit plate and water in the morning and in the afternoon a complimantary lunch from The Porch. We had front row seats for the booce ball(sp) guest/officer games.

It was nice to have a place in the sun where we could all sit together and come and go as we wanted

A lot of the grass was closed off due to it's poor condition, and on the second sea day they had taken huge areas of grass out. As we were having breakfast on disembarkation morniing we could see the flatbed truck outside of the pier loaded with rolls of sod.

Saturday, the second sea day, we had just gotten settled in and ready for a day of sun, when we sailed into a cold front. Dark clouds and cold winds. That was the end of that! They actually ended up closing all the pool decks because of high winds. I got a message on the voicemail later in the day telling me that they would be refunding me my money for The Alcove for that day since we were not able to use it. I did not ask and would have not complained if they had not brought it up. I figured none of us have control over the weather.

I would and will rent The Alcovs again.

Specialty Resturants

The first night they were offering 50% off for the specialty resturants and 2 of our couples went to Tuscan Grill for dinner. They really loved it! The food was wonderful and the service was great. On the third night my husband and I went and also had wonderful everything! Love the steak tartar and the filet mignon.

We all liked it so much that we went as a party of eight later in the cruise.

Service:

Service was great everywhere on the ship. Staff always had a smile and a welcome no matter where you would pass them or when they where waiting on you. Everyone was so friendly and seemed to be happy in their work.

Archived