Saphire - Coastal End of April - Alcatraz

bill0021

Hello!

We are book on The California Coastal leaving LA on April 27th.

The Princess excursion for Alcatraz is full. The ship arrives at 1:00pm stays overnight and leaves at 1:00 pm 24 hours later.

Do you think there is enough time to do the early bird Alcatraz Tour that departs at 8:45 am and make it back to the ship before the 1pm sailing. I know we are docked very close to pier 33.

Thanks,

Bill

We did the Coastal in October and loved it. Yes, the ship is docked right in Fishermans Wharf.

We did not do Alcatraz as we had done it on a prior visit to SF. I would probably not chance doing this independent tour on day of departure, but that is just me! Why don.'t you wait list on the Princess tour. Also, since you arrive in the afternoon are there not any other Alcatraz tours you could do that afternoon on your own??

We enjoyed riding the cable cars in the morning...there are no lines then and it was like a private tour of San Francisco!

I'm assuming that April 27 is in 2013? You will more than likely be alongside at Pier 35. The embarkation dock for Alcatraz tours is about a five minute brisk walk. Having lived in the Bay Area all my life, I've never been to Alcatraz, but I would think that a couple of hours on the island would suffice...

I think you could do it before a 1:00 sailing, depending on what time you're required to be back on board.

As another poster suggested, the tours fill up fast, so make sure that you've reserved ahead of time.

We did the Princess Alcatraz Tour last May on our California Coastal Wine Cruise. I don't think that would be enough time to do the tour and enjoy yourself. We had an electronic guide and it was very interesting.

Get on the Princess Wait List--that's a better idea. Most of the time we have wait-listed a tour, we have gotten to go.

Hello!

We are book on The California Coastal leaving LA on April 27th.

The Princess excursion for Alcatraz is full. The ship arrives at 1:00pm stays overnight and leaves at 1:00 pm 24 hours later.

Do you think there is enough time to do the early bird Alcatraz Tour that departs at 8:45 am and make it back to the ship before the 1pm sailing. I know we are docked very close to pier 33.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

I was told by a Princess rep today that we will be docked at Pier# 35.

We have a great Roll Call going for this cruise. Come on over to the Roll Call boards and check us out.

You might want to try going direct to the tour operator and booking for the same time that the ship's excursion is. I have found that when an excursion is limited to so many, it's because the tour operator has reserved a limited number for the ship, but can accomodate other tourists as well. Like if there are 30 slots, the tour might actually have 60.

Alcatraz would be easy for this, as you won't have to worry about not being able to take the transportation provided for the excursion, since it's right there...

http://www.alcatrazcruises.com

I'd call ahead, they quite often get fully booked if you want reservations in the same week as you call.

I would book the 9:10 AM excursion online in advance. It will cost less than the Princess excursion and give the same experience.

If you wait until you are in SF to book, there may be no space available.

After March 10th, the main Alcatraz Ferry Schedule starts to leave at 8:45am instead of 9:10, an extra 25 mins. Concern over it being sold out if I waited which was reinforced by some of the comments here helped push me to reserve two tickets now.

If I arrive at the pier and the tour operator or princess crew tell me there is a chance we will not be back on time, well then we will check out the old prison through some binoculars.

Wait-listing-I might do that as well. I am not happy about blowing the other tickets if I get on The Princess Excursion but because of the tight schedule...

This is the one excursion that the wifey wants to do.

Thank you all very much!

You might want to try going direct to the tour operator and booking for the same time that the ship's excursion is. I have found that when an excursion is limited to so many, it's because the tour operator has reserved a limited number for the ship, but can accomodate other tourists as well. Like if there are 30 slots, the tour might actually have 60.

Alcatraz would be easy for this, as you won't have to worry about not being able to take the transportation provided for the excursion, since it's right there...

http://www.alcatrazcruises.com

I'd call ahead, they quite often get fully booked if you want reservations in the same week as you call.

I would follow this advice, there are plenty of open spaces now to book any time you want on-line.

Going the next morning may not allow enough time if you are doing a guided tour. I would save Monday morning for a cable car ride.

I would book the 9:10 AM excursion online in advance. It will cost less than the Princess excursion and give the same experience.

If you wait until you are in SF to book, there may be no space available.

After March 10th, the main Alcatraz Ferry Schedule starts to leave at 8:45am instead of 9:10, an extra 25 mins.

I had not seen that the schedule changed in mid-March.

My advice is to book on-line for a time in the afternoon that you arrive. No time pressure that way. Book for at least an hour after scheduled arrival.

The important thing is to check the schedule for the return boats. Unless things have changed in the last several years, you are free to return to San Francisco on any boat at any time. A couple of hours on the island should be plenty. It is really interesting, but I'm not sure that you need a "guided tour" other than the audio guide, which is kind of a go at your own pace kind of thing. I've been a couple of times and it is totally worthwhile, a really cool experience. Definitely book in advance, they usually sell out.

I am not sure if you already have plans for Sunday. But I would choose the evening visits before a day trip. I have done both and the night visit is much nicer than a day trip. It is a few dollars more, but fewer people and getting to see the city from the bay in the evening is an added bonus.

I am not sure if you already have plans for Sunday. But I would choose the evening visits before a day trip. I have done both and the night visit is much nicer than a day trip. It is a few dollars more, but fewer people and getting to see the city from the bay in the evening is an added bonus.

Totally agree! We've been on two Night Tours, and they're wonderful. Some parts of Alcatraz, such as the hospital, are only open at night. With a night tour, you either get the view or you get atmosphere (fog). Each has it's own reward... If you can't do the night tour, the day tours are also great--there is no such thing as a bad Alcatraz visit! :)

The important thing is to check the schedule for the return boats. Unless things have changed in the last several years, you are free to return to San Francisco on any boat at any time. A couple of hours on the island should be plenty. It is really interesting, but I'm not sure that you need a "guided tour" other than the audio guide, which is kind of a go at your own pace kind of thing. I've been a couple of times and it is totally worthwhile, a really cool experience. Definitely book in advance, they usually sell out.

Yes, that's what I was going to say. People spend a different amount of time on the Island so you can return on any boat you want to. They will give you an approximate time for each return boat. You should have plenty of time. We just used the audio guide so we could go at our own pace and not have to wait on stragglers.

If you wait list and make the Princess tour, you can probably sell your tickets for the independent tour on EBay or Craig's list. Things sell out quickly and there are always people looking for tickets. If you manage your time carefully and keep the return schedule in mind, the independent tour should not be a problem.

Archived