wrinkled clothes

hun6903

How do I pack my clothes for my cruise so they won't get wrinkled? Is there a maximum number of bags I can take on the cruise? Thanks.

For the wrinkelage you should check out the fashion boards.. they have tons of info there... as for the bags I am unsure I guess as many as the airlines let you if you are flying otherwise can't help ya.. enjoy your cruise:)

I use packing cubes and roll all my clothes and then put them in the packing cubes. I also bring along a can of Wrinkle Releaser (I got at magellans.com) which works pretty good. When all else fails, I hang the garment in the bathroom during showers and the steam from that will usually do the trick.

Ditto on the can or bottle of liquid wrinkle releaser. There are several kinds.

Tried the steamer but it's labor intensive and I'm on vacation :) Just spray your clothes with the wrinkle releaser and tug a little and walk away. Very easy

Number of bags - depends if you are driving or flying. We bring two large check in and one carry on because we are divers and carry are own equipment:rolleyes: Don't think the cruiselines have a limit. Just be sure to tip the porters!!

Go to your local dry cleaner and purchase some of their plastic bags. If you put your clothes in the bags, they are so slippery, you don't get many wrinkles. Also, bring a steamer, not an iron, as irons in passenger cabins are not allowed by most cruise lines.

If you're flying to the port, you're allowed two checked bags per person, not weighing more than 50lbs each and not more than 62" in total size, and one carry on. If you're driving to the port, there's no maximum amount of bags you can bring on the ship. If your bags cannot fit into a small xray machine, you cannot carry the bags onto the ship yourself, but you must give them to the porters where they scan them in much larger machines.

Although the cruise lines don't limit the number of bags you can bring, there's a practical limit to the number of bags and clothing you can store in your cabin. The cabin steward may be able to find someplace outside your cabin to store empty luggage, but you will probably find that the drawers and closet in the cabin can only handle the contents of 2 or 3 large suitcases. My wife started out cruising with 2 or three bags for her own clothes; she's now gotten it down to one, and usually ends the week with one or two items that she hasn't worn. She swears by rolling rather than folding clothes to avoid wrinkles. I fold and pack tightly, or slip things into plastic bags. Both approaches work for us.

We used the dry cleaner bag method on our cruise. Our clothes were packed from Thursday evening until Sunday afternoon with (unbelievably) very few wrinkles. I didn't even use the wrinkle release I took. I was skeptical, but this method really works!

I completely agree about the drycleaning bags.

I didn't buy the bags though. I just asked the drycleaners for extra bags each time I went in to pick up my order. They were very nice and always asked me how many I needed.

The time I used them, everything came out great, even the suits and formals! It took a little longer to pack, but it was definitely worth it.

I left everything on hangers and put a bag on each item. I even put bags on each foldable item. I could not believe out great it worked. My husband thought I was nuts while I was packing, but was very happy when he saw his clothes when we unpacked on the ship! :p

It was a lot easier to unpack also because everything was already on hangers. No need to bother the stateroom attendant for additional hangers since we brought our own.

On the way back, we had plenty of extra space for souviners because we just tossed the hangers and bags and folded our laundry.

My parents went on the same cruise and didn't use the bags. Needless to say, they were wrinkled all week! ;)

Tracey

• 2 weeks later...
We used the dry cleaner bag method on our cruise. Our clothes were packed from Thursday evening until Sunday afternoon with (unbelievably) very few wrinkles. I didn't even use the wrinkle release I took. I was skeptical, but this method really works!

I agree completely! This has worked perfectly for us. I leave most of my hanging clothes on their hangars w/ the drycleaner bags between some of them and then just take them directly from my suitcase to the closet. No re-hanging of them! (Saves time so I can quickly be back on-deck!):D

We also keep a suitcase in the closet into which we put our folded dirty clothes. (Folding takes up less space.) Then, by the end of the week, we are almost packed for the trip home. (Don't want to take up my time on Friday to pack if I can help it.)

We used the onboard laundry service to have DH's formal night shirts pressed. It was only about $2 a shirt and they did a wonderful job. We just left the shirt for the room steward in the morning and it was back in time to dress for dinner.

I use packing cubes and roll all my clothes and then put them in the packing cubes. I also bring along a can of Wrinkle Releaser (I got at magellans.com) which works pretty good. When all else fails, I hang the garment in the bathroom during showers and the steam from that will usually do the trick.

Sorry for the stupid question, but what are packing cubes?

I bought some 2 gallon Hefty brand ziploc bags to pack clothes in as well, along with the dry cleaner bags. Heard this really works well also. Will be sure and let you know in September;) !

That will be too late for me -- I'm cruising in September too :)

Happy Cruising everyone!

Ditto on the can or bottle of liquid wrinkle releaser. There are several kinds.

Tried the steamer but it's labor intensive and I'm on vacation :) Just spray your clothes with the wrinkle releaser and tug a little and walk away. Very easy

Number of bags - depends if you are driving or flying. We bring two large check in and one carry on because we are divers and carry are own equipment:rolleyes: Don't think the cruiselines have a limit. Just be sure to tip the porters!!

Where do I find wrinkle releaser?

Gabsabunch- here is a link to packing cubes. I used them on our cruise and they worked very nicely to keep things organized & relatively wrinkle free. Also, I used the packing folders. They come with a packing board that you fold your clothes around-kind of similar to they way they are folded on a shelf at a department store. Then, you them place them in the folder, with the folding board on top. Since they are folded uniformly and can't shift around in your suitcase, they stay wrinkle free. I think the medium size in both items would be the most versatile.

Packing cubes & packing folders

A special thanks to Happy KS for recommending the packing folder! :) They worked like a charm and the folding board made packing much easier!

aikenforaiken..Downy Wrinkle Release can be found at Walmart and Target. Problably at most major grocery stores, too. Just look in the laundry detergent section. I've used it on our last three cruises and it really works!

Some cruise lines and ships have self-service laundry facilities onboard, which have an iron and ironing board along with coin operated washers and dryers. Depending upon the cruise line and ship you are sailing, you may be able to iron. I do know that Holland America (except their new Vista Style ships) and Princess offer the self-service laundries onboard.

I bought a box of the 2 gal zippie bags at Target for our trip to Ireland last year. They worked great! I still overpacked but they did condense the bulkiness in the suitcase.

If you are only taking lightweight clothes they will be great! I had sweaters and bulky stuff so couldn't get as much in one bag. I put the bag on the floor, then arranged the clothes in the bag, closed the bag almost all the way (leave a bit open to release the air), then I knelt on the bag to compress all the air, then closed it all the way. It will compact way down to nothing. Just pack & off you go. It's great for your underwear and personal stuff so if your bags get opened at the airport, they still remain sanitary because the airport personnel can see right through the bags.

I didn't notice that many wrinkles in the clothes either. I know that WalMart & Target also sell the regular travel bags that are larger but you only get 3 in a pkg. & they are so much more expensive. Smaller size works just as well.

What kind of steamer do you bring because I hate wrinkle clothes to and what brand is it and how much. Thanks...
I just got a Jiffy from http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp02468-0085.html. I had seen the same steamer on other sites for as much as $80.00. I had it in less than 3 days! Tried it out, pending upcoming cruise, and it works great.

I even put bags on each foldable item. I could not believe out great it worked. My husband thought I was nuts while I was packing, but was very happy when he saw his clothes when we unpacked on the ship! :p

Tracey

Hi Tracey

Can you please tell me how you packed the foldable clothes in the bags? Did you fold them THEN put them into the bags or did you put them into the bags THEN fold them :confused:

Thanks!

Tracy (and my husband's name is Brian!!!!!) :D

Archived