Day Time Or Night Time Departure From Sydney

Do you prefer a day time or night time departure from Sydney OPT? Having done both in recent times, I prefer day time.

When I departed at night on the Voyager Of The Seas last November, the harbour was dead quiet. The city lights seemed to be darker than normal and not many people along the foreshore to watch our ship sail out of the heads.

This was very different when I departed at 6:30pm on the Radiance Of The Seas last month. There was a hype of activity on the harbour, given it's peak hour. Lots of people were watching us from the Opera House (well, mainly from the Opera Bar) and the MCA, plus I could see the landmarks and various buildings as we sailed out of the harbour.

Do you prefer a day time or night time departure from Sydney OPT? Having done both in recent times, I prefer day time.

When I departed at night on the Voyager Of The Seas last November, the harbour was dead quiet. The city lights seemed to be darker than normal and not many people along the foreshore to watch our ship sail out of the heads.

This was very different when I departed at 6:30pm on the Radiance Of The Seas last month. There was a hype of activity on the harbour, given it's peak hour. Lots of people were watching us from the Opera House (well, mainly from the Opera Bar) and the MCA, plus I could see the landmarks and various buildings as we sailed out of the harbour.

I must agree having sailed from Sydney both during the day and night!

The night was beautiful with all the lights but the day-time sailaway was FUN with so many waving madly at us both from the shore lines and other water vessels on the harbour!

Whichever though, Sydney Harbour is spectacular to sail from!

Much prefer the daytime departure.

I love rushing around, sipping my cocktail and waving to the crowds that are waving at me.

I have got up early to watch the sail back in (once out of four) and the colours on North Head were spectacular!!!!!

Raina

Probably because of her size, it would disrupt the peak hour ferries from arriving and departing Circular Quay. Voyager Of The Seas is the same. We departed at 10pm last November.

That sounds a logical explanation. Never thought of that - we've only ever sailed away late afternoon, but that was Rhapsody & Radiance.

When Arcadia and Aurora have 11.59 Pm sailaways from OPT, I was told it was because one of the shore excursions was a night at the opera that finishes late. The 11.59pm is because if they did 12am they would have to pay for another days berthing at the OPT.

Probably because of her size, it would disrupt the peak hour ferries from arriving and departing Circular Quay. Voyager Of The Seas is the same. We departed at 10pm last November.

Our November cruise on Voyager left at 4pm. Robin:confused:

Not necessarily as we have had 2 years in a row that 2 Queens passed each other middle of the day in Sydney Harbour - remember.

When Arcadia and Aurora have 11.59 Pm sailaways from OPT, I was told it was because one of the shore excursions was a night at the opera that finishes late. The 11.59pm is because if they did 12am they would have to pay for another days berthing at the OPT.

True, they both have Opera tours - couple of years ago it was Carmen.

Our first cruise was a 3 night sampler that departed at 10 or 11pm (I cant remember!) ... There was a sailaway party on the pool deck, but to be honest there werent many people around. Would've been better had it been daylight.

On our last cruise on Voyager, we had an overnight stay in Sydney and then departed at 5pm on the Sunday evening. Hubby & I had a balcony cabin on that cruise and it was great hanging out on the balcony and waving to the folks out on the harbour. Lots of small boats and yaughts (scuse my spelling) followed us up to the Heads.

Night time for me

Archived