British sailing on Ocean - Advice sought

Sirdar

DW and I have booked a cruise aboard Ocean Princess beginning Aug 28. The cruise begins and ends in Dover and makes stops in Guernsey, Ireland and Scotland before returning to Dover. It has been a few tears since last we sailed Princess and we have never done this itinerary or been on the Ocean. After the cruise we are going up to London for a few days so we can't avail our:)selves of a transfer through Princess

I would appreciate any feedback members may have. Some questions I thought of are:

1. How best to get from Dover top London after the Cruise?

2. How formal are the formal nights? Will a blazer and slacks be OK for a man or tuxes expected?

3.How rough are the seas likely to be on this route?

4.Suggestions for packing for this itinerary

5. Does this attract mostly American or do the British constitute a large portion of the passengers?

Anything else anyone has to offer is appreciated :)

1. How best to get from Dover to London after the Cruise?

2. How formal are the formal nights? Will a blazer and slacks be OK for a

We are going a different Ocean cruise this summer. I have found a wealth of information about transfers between Dover and London at the European ports of call board. There are many different car services available. You could also take the train into central London, particularly if you choose not to see any of the sites between Dover and London. From past trips I know there are many wonderful things to see between the two cities - Leeds Castle and Canterbury come to mind quickly.

Enjoy your planning there are so many things to consider in the time allowed by schedules.

DW and I have booked a cruise aboard Ocean Princess beginning Aug 28. The cruise begins and ends in Dover and makes stops in Guernsey, Ireland and Scotland before returning to Dover. It has been a few tears since last we sailed Princess and we have never done this itinerary or been on the Ocean. After the cruise we are going up to London for a few days so we can't avail our:)selves of a transfer through Princess

I would appreciate any feedback members may have. Some questions I thought of are:

1. How best to get from Dover top London after the Cruise? Cruise line transfer. Those from Southampton are $54 US per person this summer, so I would assume it will be close to that. Bus will go to Victoria Station, LHR or LGW.

2. How formal are the formal nights? Will a blazer and slacks be OK for a man or tuxes expected? Tuxes not expected at all. Should be okay, but a dark suit is really what most men will wear (or kilt as applies).

3.How rough are the seas likely to be on this route? Did it last May but on a more extended itinerary and had fantastic, low seas the whole time. Expected it to be rough, but it wasn't. It was windy a couple nights, but not bad at all. Much more rough in Channel in late Oct./early Nov. We did miss Guernsey due to wind unfortunately.

4.Suggestions for packing for this itinerary Being British, you probably know about an umbrella. :D Good walking shoes, a light rain jacket, maybe a hat and you're set to go.

5. Does this attract mostly American or do the British constitute a large portion of the passengers? IME, about 50% Brits.

Anything else anyone has to offer is appreciated :) Get the City Pass or historical pass for cities you plan to go to a lot of the venues in - it's cheaper in the long run unless you plan to do cruise line tours. BTW, Glasgow was AWESOME. Loved that whole area.

Have a great time! Lucky you! Enjoy.

Archived