Picnic lunches from cruise ship?

travelphyl

Usually, there will be postings- prohibiting any unpackaged food being taken off a cruiseship. This was the case with 5 of my 6 cruiseship travels last year, including 3 times in Alaska. Exception was NCL POA in Hawaii.

You especially do not want to be hauling around sandwiches, fruits etc., anyway in many areas of Alaska. Along with some people being unprepared for no easy disposal.

Where do you plan on going that invests that much time off the ship or away from food purchases in port?

Will Carnival pack you a picnic lunch if you order ahead when you are in a Port and out sightseeing? I think I have been offered this before, but not on Carnival. Thank you! Only 76 days left to sailing!!!!

Another option if you're planning on renting a car and going out to explore on your own is finding a deli or grocery in port where you can purchase picnic items before heading out for the day.

We are renting a car in Skagway and driving to the Yukon. I'm positive we won't starve, just thought it would be cool to have a picnic lunch with us. But finding a nice, out of the way place to stop has it's appeal also :) Thanks guys!

We are renting a car in Skagway and driving to the Yukon. I'm positive we won't starve, just thought it would be cool to have a picnic lunch with us. But finding a nice, out of the way place to stop has it's appeal also :) Thanks guys!

There are a few places to eat in Carcross. The Spirit Lake lodge has very good food.

There’s place in Skagway called Glacial Smoothies that sells coffee, sandwiches, wraps, etc. When we were in Skagway last July we called them from the ship when we arrived and ordered sandwiches to go. They open at 6:30am. One of us went to grab the sandwiches while the other stood in line at Avis for the rental car. Worked out great and we were able to hit the Klondike Highway early. It was a nice day and we stopped along the way and enjoyed the sandwiches and the views.

There’s place in Skagway called Glacial Smoothies that sells coffee, sandwiches, wraps, etc. When we were in Skagway last July we called them from the ship when we arrived and ordered sandwiches to go. They open at 6:30am. One of us went to grab the sandwiches while the other stood in line at Avis for the rental car. Worked out great and we were able to hit the Klondike Highway early. It was a nice day and we stopped along the way and enjoyed the sandwiches and the views.

That good to know! Thanks for sharing that information.

It used to be, but under the new owners, I consider it mediocre and expensive.

I agree, we were there last summer and never ate there because of cost. We did buy coffee and snacks in skagway before we left and stopped in carcross to use the restrooms and LOL grab more snacks! I wouldnt bother trying to sneak food off the ship as it really isnt necessary. There is also a grocery store in skagway a block off the main drag to get meat sticks, bottles of tea or soda etc.:D

It used to be, but under the new owners, I consider it mediocre and expensive.

Carcross has always been "expensive". We actually got sandwiches there last year and they were just fine. But there isn't much you can screw up. :) Everything was fresh.

People need to be prepared for the costs. The entire area is up there. I don't give it much concern and purchase what I want. But I do see other people reacting differently.

Carcross has always been "expensive". We actually got sandwiches there last year and they were just fine. But there isn't much you can screw up. :) Everything was fresh.

People need to be prepared for the costs. The entire area is up there. I don't give it much concern and purchase what I want. But I do see other people reacting differently.

Spirit Lake Lodge food is mediocre and expensive by Carcross standards, which I know well. You're right that there's not much they can do to screw up a sandwich, but one of their $15 burgers is not a thing of beauty to my tastebuds at all.

Archived