Formal Wear on Ruby Princess

gators70

I am sure this question has been posted before, but after reading back 10 pages I couldn't fine it, so here goes....

We have a family of 10 cruising the Ruby from Venice to Rome (12-days) in June. Personally, I don't mind wearing a sports coat and a tie for formal night(s), but we will be traveling with our kids and their sposes who are 30 somethings and they are not looking forward to having to wear sports coats, less well ties. How strict is the Ruby on formal nights? If they wear a nice button-down shirt and nice slacks will they be turned away from the MDR? If jackets are required I guess I will be going shopping for the men.

I also presume that my 13-year old grandson doesn't need a sports coat if he wears a nice shirt and slacks. If I have to buy him a sports coat it will probably be for that one (or two ) nights since he is growing so fast!

I would add that it is a rare occasion that we can all be at the same place at the same time since we live in various parts of the country, so we were planning to have some group photos taken at the pre-dinner photo sessions. It would be nice if we "matched" at least color-wise and "dress-up level". In that sense, it would be nice for all of the men to wear matching sports coats and slacks.

I am sure this question has been posted before, but after reading back 10 pages I couldn't fine it, so here goes....

We have a family of 10 cruising the Ruby from Venice to Rome (12-days) in June. Personally, I don't mind wearing a sports coat and a tie for formal night(s), but we will be traveling with our kids and their sposes who are 30 somethings and they are not looking forward to having to wear sports coats, less well ties. How strict is the Ruby on formal nights? If they wear a nice button-down shirt and nice slacks will they be turned away from the MDR? If jackets are required I guess I will be going shopping for the men.

I also presume that my 13-year old grandson doesn't need a sports coat if he wears a nice shirt and slacks. If I have to buy him a sports coat it will probably be for that one (or two ) nights since he is growing so fast!

I would add that it is a rare occasion that we can all be at the same place at the same time since we live in various parts of the country, so we were planning to have some group photos taken at the pre-dinner photo sessions. It would be nice if we "matched" at least color-wise and "dress-up level". In that sense, it would be nice for all of the men to wear matching sports coats and slacks.

Princess seems to be getting more picky about formal wear in the MDR on formal night. Just back from the Sapphire , saw men turned back that had a sport jacket , slacks and shirt ( no tie) not allowed entry to the MDR.

They where saying that in Europe they are really enforcing the lack of formal wear.

I did very well getting second hand dress up clothes for my teenagers. They will likely cut some slack for your 13 year old, but jackets and ties may be required for the 30 somethings. Note that the buffet and the pay extra restaurants - Crown Grill and Sabatinis - do not require jackets and ties even on formal night.

I was on the Ruby two weeks ago and, to be honest, the dress for formal nights ranged from chinos and a dress shirt [no tie or jacket] to full tuxedo and evening gowns. We were at the late traditional sitting [8:15 p.m.] -- and the dress code wasn't strictly enforced [to the dismay of some diners]. I did notice that the 'anytime' dining room was enforcing the dress code more strictly -- even sending people away if they weren't properly dressed for dinner [and this wasn't for formal evenings]. Of course, people were showing up in shorts and really casually dressed for dinner -- I don't what their approach was for formal nights.

While the European cruises seem to be a bit more formal, you should be ok with a nice dress shirt and slacks -- this seemed to work well on our cruise around the UK last May. We didn't see anyone turned away from the dining room if they wore dress shirts and slacks [again, we were at the late traditional sitting] - there were many people without ties and sports jackets, and only a few with full formal wear.

They probably won't be turned away but they will be out-of-place on a Med cruise where Americans can often be in the minority. Europeans dress much more nicely and formally than Americans.

Pam is right on with this post. Just did a Med cruise on the Crown last week of Oct first week of Nov 2012. Anything less than a sports coat and tie would have really stood out. It was probably the highest percentage of tuxes I have seen on any cruise. Was really glad I had mine!

OMG...seems so long ago....last summer...I wore ultralightweight gowns, but the overall impression I remember from formal nights was the lowest level of dress was what people would wear to church...dressy...

nice and neat to more formal little dresses, or gowns

my husband wore a suit- left the tux home...

We dressed up cause we wanted to!

Bernadette

I am really not being snarky when I say this, but I really don't understand the frequent questioning of Princess' suggested attire for formal nights ..... seems most often for cruises to Alaska and the Caribbean, but also pretty much any itinerary.

It's clearly stated in the FAQs and the Cruise Answer Book, and cuts no slack for any particular age bracket or the more "casual" itineraries. It is what it is, and is the same on all Princess ships!

I hope you don't chide me for speaking my piece, as this is JMO after seeing it questioned over and over. It crops up SO often, and seems to come from those who want to sneak past the cruiseline's recommendation, for whatever reason or whatever special circumstance they feel they have.

I am really not being snarky when I say this, but I really don't understand the frequent questioning of Princess' suggested attire for formal nights ..... seems most often for cruises to Alaska and the Caribbean, but also pretty much any itinerary.

It's clearly stated in the FAQs and the Cruise Answer Book, and cuts no slack for any particular age bracket or the more "casual" itineraries. It is what it is, and is the same on all Princess ships!

I hope you don't chide me for speaking my piece, as this is JMO after seeing it questioned over and over. It crops up SO often, and seems to come from those who want to sneak past the cruiseline's recommendation, for whatever reason or whatever special circumstance they feel they have.

Well, it really did sound a little snarky, but it is your opinion as to proper decorum.

I really hesitated posting this question and regret having done so as it seems that maybe I came off like a country bumpkin and a slob and I think you would be surprised to know that I am neither, although probably not up to your elitist status. Think what you like. I'll try my best not to have others look too far down their noses at me.

Thank you for pointing out that it is clearly stated in the FAQ and the Cruise Answer Book because we know everything that is in them is hard, rigid facts. If this question has been challenged over and over again, I encourage you to avoid the thread the next time.

Well, it really did sound a little snarky, but it is your opinion as to proper decorum.

I really hesitated posting this question and regret having done so as it seems that maybe I came off like a country bumpkin and a slob and I think you would be surprised to know that I am neither, although probably not up to your elitist status. Think what you like. I'll try my best not to have others look too far down their noses at me.

Thank you for pointing out that it is clearly stated in the FAQ and the Cruise Answer Book because we know everything that is in them is hard, rigid facts. If this question has been challenged over and over again, I encourage you to avoid the thread the next time.

I am not going to be snarky either but the point must be made that it is Princess requesting the proper dress in the dining room on Formal night, not Flamomo.

Princess does not expect that everyone wants to participate on formal night and has stated that there are dining venues other than the main dining rooms

for your convenience. They also ask that you dress in the spirit of the formal evening if you wish to dine in the dining rooms.

Now, will the teens be turned away if they wear a dress shirt and dress pants? Probably not. It all depends on the Maitre D.

If the adult men don't want to wear jackets, they should be informed that they will be in the minority and take it from there.

As for anyone noticing or saying anything, most people are too polite to say anything. But I have witnessed under dressed diners suddenly become overwhelmed by the numbers of diners dressed for the occasion and leave the line on their own.

I do find that many of the questions asked on CC and other sites can easily be found by wearing the FAQs on the website for the cruise line you're going on. Even before going on my 5th cruise on Princess last December, I took some time and re-read the FAQs and Cruise Answer Book just in case something's changed. I understand that many people are asking what's the usual practice, rather than for the rules/guidelines/whatever, but again, I wonder how many people who are knew to cruising just don't think of looking at the website.

Princess seems to be getting more picky about formal wear in the MDR on formal night. Just back from the Sapphire , saw men turned back that had a sport jacket , slacks and shirt ( no tie) not allowed entry to the MDR.

They where saying that in Europe they are really enforcing the lack of formal wear.

Wow, I wouldn't think that a sports jacket would be a problem on the Hawaiian/MR/Coastal cruises (I'm guessing you were on one of these if on the Sapphire). We were on the Golden to Hawaii in December, and one man, about in his 60s or so, never wore a tie on formal nights, just a dress shirt w/ jacket draped on his chair. My hubby brought along his "interview" suit jacket, which probably wouldn't fit a really formal guideline as it's not solid black or navy, but he'll wear a festive tie, and he hasn't had a problem on any of our cruises. I usually stick with cocktail length (this was the case on all three formal nights this time) with an occasional longish one piece pants outfit or long dress. Some people would probably say you need to be all sparkly, but many of us aren't into sparkly.

My teen actually didn't wear anything long, either. For her, her outfits were dressy in comparison to the jeans she wears to school every day. She has her own style. She did wear a dress and skirt with shirt or sweater on the formal nights. Not a problem with the head waiter at all.

For the OP, maybe if the men bring some ties, and if there's any problem at the dining room door, they can offer to don the ties. I have taken my girl to Goodwill to shop for items that would be an one-off (such as for a play she's performing in). The prices are very reasonable, and maybe your grandsons will be able to find other occasions to wear a jacket. Many of the teen boys were wearing jackets and ties the other night at the music department's spring concert (my daughter wore a dress she got as a birthday present and looked nice while performing). It was the first time I saw her band teacher wearing a suit too (he usually wears shorts or a kilt).

As for trying to match, that may be a tall order color-wise, but if all the guys wear a jacket and tie for a formal portrait, that will be something to treasure.

If they want to go "Formal" they dress up and blend in with the rest of the passengers.

OTHERWISE go to the buffet in whatever that want to wear. "Formal" night is a night where passengers like to dress up and look nice and fancy. What's wrong with a coat and tie for 1 night of the cruise (possible 2)?

We are just back from Eastern Caribbean on the Ruby Princess. We had anytime dining. My husband wore a jacket and tie on the formal nights and I wore a short dress.

We did see one gentleman who was asked to leave the line for dinner because he was not wearing long pants, actually he was wearing pretty rumpled chino shorts.. his companions waited while he went to change and they were quickly seated when he came back dressed appropriately.

I find it amusing that these daily formal wear threads always focus on the man's attire - jacket or not, tie or not, etc.

Then, we see post after post on some days from women explaining how they wear black pants and a "sparkly" top. Well a pair of black pants and a top that has been bedazzled by the factory is not formal wear by any stretch of the imagination. Neither are those "dressy" flip flops many are so fond of - dressy flip flops is an oxymoron anyway.

A woman in black pants and a sparkly top woudl be considerably under dressed against a man in a tux or a formal suit.

Just tonight there was a post from someone about how their mother wears a black velour jogging suit with a tank top to formal night with no problems. As jogging suits really shoudl never be worn outside of when exercising - I hardly think a man in a dress shirt and no jacket should be an issue.

No a sportscoat or jacket without tie is not true formal wear, but will be perfectly acceptable on the cruise and is often worn.

I find it amusing that these daily formal wear threads always focus on the man's attire - jacket or not, tie or not, etc.

Then, we see post after post on some days from women explaining how they wear black pants and a "sparkly" top. Well a pair of black pants and a top that has been bedazzled by the factory is not formal wear by any stretch of the imagination. Neither are those "dressy" flip flops many are so fond of - dressy flip flops is an oxymoron anyway.

A woman in black pants and a sparkly top woudl be considerably under dressed against a man in a tux or a formal suit.

Just tonight there was a post from someone about how their mother wears a black velour jogging suit with a tank top to formal night with no problems. As jogging suits really shoudl never be worn outside of when exercising - I hardly think a man in a dress shirt and no jacket should be an issue.

No a sportscoat or jacket without tie is not true formal wear, but will be perfectly acceptable on the cruise and is often worn.

The men cause the focus to be on them. They are the ones that don't want to dress up.

I think a lot depends on the fabric. A woman in silky black pants, a sparkly top and appropriate accessories can look very dressed up, IMO. If you're talking about polyester, some women may find that ok (I guess if it mimics silk), but I personally hate the feel of polyester.

Accessories can really make the outfit, even for a guy (a sky blue tie, for example, or that monotone look, with the right item in the pocket).

Archived