Funny question - Where can we play with monkeys without a day long tour?

shellmisi

My son LOVES monkeys. Every Christmas he asks Santa for a pet monkey. I really would like to take him to play with the monkeys, but I can only seem to find info about Bodden's Monkey place being an add-on for the day long tour. I've looked all over, not just the Victor Bodden company. We are a family of 4, so that would be $120, and really we would only be doing it for the monkey stop.

Does anyone know of other "play with monkey" options? Or has anyone just taken a taxi to the Bodden's Monkey place and back to the port (if so, how much was it for the ride?)

I believe we will be in Coxen Hole.

I can't comment directly on your question having never been to Roatan. In ports I've visited where there are local monkey populations one will often encounter a handler near the port offering photo ops and the chance to hold a monkey.

From personal experience, one doesn't ever "play" with monkeys. Perhaps I'm a little scarred from experiences in my youth but I would not want to get anywhere within touching or biting distance of any monkey.

I may be wrong but I think the only other place is Gumbalimba park for monkeys. We had a blast playing with the monkeys when we were there at Christmas for a week long vacation on Roatan.

Gumbalimba is a really nice park - lots of stuff to do so you could actually make it a day there..... beach, pool, birds, monkeys etc.

http://www.gumbalimbapark.com/index.html

Monkeys are cute but just remember they are wild animals. We did the monkeys at Victor Boddens house and my (then 3 year old) was bitten by one of them and one of the workers had to grab it when it was coming after her again. They didn't even come to check on her until much much later and when they did all they said was "the money had it's injection". I'm taking this as they had their shots...but who knows. You are in a 3rd world country. So just be very careful. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We just showed up at Victor Botton's place and my mother and aunt rode the zip line, then we all went through the cages with the monkeys and played with them. It is kind of like a mini zoo, they also have parrots you can hold, and there are several other cages with other animals in them but I don't think you can play with them. Nobody in our party of six got bitten, but that does seem to be a pretty common occurrence.

Archived