Has Anyone Taken Ship's Tour to Vatican and Sistine Chapel

Chelly

I'll visit Rome for the first time on my upcoming cruise in October. I think most ships have the standard 11-hour tour to the Vatican, Museums and Sistine Chapel. I'm planning to take this tour because it sounds hassle-free. I'd love to hear the opinions of those who have taken this tour. Suggestions appreciated.

We did the ships tour five years ago, saw the museum, there is a lot of it,, and the Sistine Chapel. We never made it into St Peters because the Pope was holding a special service for some Cardinals. But the tour was great.

We've done a ships tour and since visited independently a couple of times. The ships tour was very expensive and for reasons I don't know we had to queue for a very long time to get into the Vatican museum along with hundreds of other people all part of organised groups. I'm not sure if this is normal but others will no doubt comment on this.

My advice would be to plan this independently if you feel able to. There is lots of information on how to achieve this on the boards.

My feeling is that ship tours generally offer pretty much what they say they'll offer -- a safe and dependably consistent, average tour.

However, whether or not they are "hassle-free" is debatable. I personally find it aggravating and a big hassle when the buses are full of 50 people who cannot manage to make it back on time, causing others to wait sometimes 20-30 minutes to get going again. That kind of time is gold when you only have about 7 actual hours of touring time. (I'm not counting the transit time.)

I also find it a "hassle" to be guided into shopping opportunities at various stores, factories, showrooms, etc to shop for things I don't want so the guide can get a kickback. If I'm paying the hefty price tag for this kind of tour, I want touring, not shopping.

Finally, read the description of the tour carefully. If it says you get a "look at" something, that look may just be a glance through a bus window. If it says "photo op" that pretty much guarantees you'll all troop off the bus, snap a photo, and get back on. (And then wait 10 minutes for the people who just had to leave the group and are haggling over 20 postcards and 5 t-shirts at the nearby kiosk.)

The last time I took a sampling of ship tours in the Med was on Princess. I was cruising with my mom and she insisted on taking ship tours. We got the "shopping trap" at Naples (the Cameo Factory), Ephesus (the Rug Factory), and Egypt (the Papyrus factory). The Istanbul full-day tour was so disappointing that it left me nearly in tears. The guide spent far too much time in a rug store, allowing us only about 20 minutes, at the very end of the day, to visit Haghia Sophia, one of the highlights of any trip to Istanbul. It was already getting dark and we couldn't even go to the upper gallery. That was the point where I vowed NO MORE large ship tours, unless it was impossible to do it on my own.

Please note these are my own feelings only. Other people love the safety and security of the ship tours. If you asked my mom, she'd probably say it was a wonderful cruise and that the excursions were good. She and my dad still only do ship tours in ports.

My feeling is that ship tours generally offer pretty much what they say they'll offer -- a safe and dependably consistent, average tour.

However, whether or not they are "hassle-free" is debatable. I personally find it aggravating and a big hassle when the buses are full of 50 people who cannot manage to make it back on time, causing others to wait sometimes 20-30 minutes to get going again. That kind of time is gold when you only have about 7 actual hours of touring time. (I'm not counting the transit time.)

I also find it a "hassle" to be guided into shopping opportunities at various stores, factories, showrooms, etc to shop for things I don't want so the guide can get a kickback. If I'm paying the hefty price tag for this kind of tour, I want touring, not shopping.

Finally, read the description of the tour carefully. If it says you get a "look at" something, that look may just be a glance through a bus window. If it says "photo op" that pretty much guarantees you'll all troop off the bus, snap a photo, and get back on. (And then wait 10 minutes for the people who just had to leave the group and are haggling over 20 postcards and 5 t-shirts at the nearby kiosk.)

The last time I took a sampling of ship tours in the Med was on Princess. I was cruising with my mom and she insisted on taking ship tours. We got the "shopping trap" at Naples (the Cameo Factory), Ephesus (the Rug Factory), and Egypt (the Papyrus factory). The Istanbul full-day tour was so disappointing that it left me nearly in tears. The guide spent far too much time in a rug store, allowing us only about 20 minutes, at the very end of the day, to visit Haghia Sophia, one of the highlights of any trip to Istanbul. It was already getting dark and we couldn't even go to the upper gallery. That was the point where I vowed NO MORE large ship tours, unless it was impossible to do it on my own.

Please note these are my own feelings only. Other people love the safety and security of the ship tours. If you asked my mom, she'd probably say it was a wonderful cruise and that the excursions were good. She and my dad still only do ship tours in ports.

Couldn't agree more--avoid them like the plague! But they DO work for some cruisers.

If it is your first time in Rome, would you recommend a private tour or do it on your own? There is quite a group of us going together, about 16 :eek:. I don't know if everyone is going to want to stick together. I personally am comfortable doing things on my own, but don't know how I feel having a group come along with me. What do you think?

If it is your first time in Rome, would you recommend a private tour or do it on your own? There is quite a group of us going together, about 16 :eek:. I don't know if everyone is going to want to stick together. I personally am comfortable doing things on my own, but don't know how I feel having a group come along with me. What do you think?

I don't think there's any reason that an organized person or small group can't do it on their own in Rome -- I read several good reports every season from first-timers who've done just that and done it very successfully.

What gives me some uneasiness, though, is the fact that you have 16 people. If everyone isn't on the same page it can be difficult to keep that many people together. Some may be more or less physically able (or willing) to do a lot of walking; some may want to shop more; and the interests for everyone might not be the same.

Also, whoever organizes it all (probably you?) will not really be able to enjoy the day much as you'll probably be thinking about logistics, keeping things moving, keeping track of folks, etc.

Give it some thought. I'm a do-it-yourselfer at heart, but I'm used to being a group of 1 or at most 2.

If you all definitely want to stick together, having a driver and van may help organize the day and shouldn't be too expensive per person.

I don't think there's any reason that an organized person or small group can't do it on their own in Rome -- I read several good reports every season from first-timers who've done just that and done it very successfully.

What gives me some uneasiness, though, is the fact that you have 16 people. If everyone isn't on the same page it can be difficult to keep that many people together. Some may be more or less physically able (or willing) to do a lot of walking; some may want to shop more; and the interests for everyone might not be the same.

Also, whoever organizes it all (probably you?) will not really be able to enjoy the day much as you'll probably be thinking about logistics, keeping things moving, keeping track of folks, etc.

Give it some thought. I'm a do-it-yourselfer at heart, but I'm used to being a group of 1 or at most 2.

If you all definitely want to stick together, having a driver and van may help organize the day and shouldn't be too expensive per person.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. You reinforced my thoughts. I read your posts alot and appreciate the time you have spent in Europe. That being said, I like to be helpful, but I really don't like being the "chief". I'll probably either break off by myself or suggest a driver.

I have organized private tours for up to 15 people and learned a lot. I would never want to be in charge of 16 people touring on our own. Perhaps you should just help people learn how to take the train and then let them go on their own without you being responsible.

Or you could arrange for a private tour (probably two or three vehicles) and put people with similar interests in each one.

I agree that I would not want to be "in charge" of 16 people. If there is a train strike or closure etc., it will ruin your trip. We took the ship's excursion and had a very good tour of the entire Vatican and Sistine Chapel. We had a nice lunch and a bus tour of Rome with a chance to get out and walk around the Collesum (that was a bonus). There was no shopping. Be sure to read the fine print. Not all the tours of the Vatican include the Sistine Chapel. It was expensive, but we could relax and not worry about missing the ship or the welfare of other people.

I agree that I would not want to be "in charge" of 16 people. If there is a train strike or closure etc., it will ruin your trip. We took the ship's excursion and had a very good tour of the entire Vatican and Sistine Chapel. We had a nice lunch and a bus tour of Rome with a chance to get out and walk around the Collesum (that was a bonus). There was no shopping. Be sure to read the fine print. Not all the tours of the Vatican include the Sistine Chapel. It was expensive, but we could relax and not worry about missing the ship or the welfare of other people.

I am a 67-year old solo woman cruiser. I will opt for the ship's tour of the Vatican including Sistine Chapel. Yes, it is expensive, but I think it is worth the cost. Thank you.

Archived