ALL Carnival Corp Ships To Get Upgraded Emergency Generators

Spaniel Lover

We were delayed by several hours during our September cruise on the Conquest because a crew member was injured and they were upgrading and testing a new generator.

Its nice to know that all their ships will be getting new emergency generators.

Just off the Liberty and my wife and I walked by this enormous Caterpillar generator several times (hard to miss if you are on the jogging track).

I say kudos to Carnival for taking this measure. No one will care what it looks like if they are broken down at sea......

Just off the Liberty and my wife and I walked by this enormous Caterpillar generator several times (hard to miss if you are on the jogging track).

I say kudos to Carnival for taking this measure. No one will care what it looks like if they are broken down at sea......

I agree. I don't care what it looks like or how much noise it makes as long as it does the job.

That's kinda odd. I guess they really don't want it publicized how ill equipped the ships really were.

Well that is one way to look at it. Another would be that they way over and above to make cruisers feel safe. But why deal with the present and future when the past is ever so much more fun.;)

Well that is one way to look at it. Another would be that they way over and above to make cruisers feel safe. But why deal with the present and future when the past is ever so much more fun.;)

Which would make it even odder as to why they would remove it.

Shouting about safety has no limits.

But the message must not yet be out there yet enough if people are asking about it.

I could give many analogies of other companies doing the same thing (addressing a problem and moving on). But, I will move on now as well.;)

From my professional viewpoint, and from what I've read of Carnival's $500m upgrade, this is part of the upgrade, designed to provide power to limited hotel functions until the ships go to shipyard and can get a permanent generator installed. These are what we refer to as "Cat in a Box" generators, and given a 20' container size, it could be a 1Mw generator inside.

The reason Carnival is going this route is because the true upgrade to a more reliable power plant requires a serious shipyard period (think Triumph) to encase the power cables from the forward engine room in a fire proof conduit where it runs through the aft engine room. So this temporary generator gives them the ability to claim increased reliability while waiting for the economic right time to make permanent improvements. It is a good temporary solution to a flawed design of the separate engine rooms.

From my professional viewpoint, and from what I've read of Carnival's $500m upgrade, this is part of the upgrade, designed to provide power to limited hotel functions until the ships go to shipyard and can get a permanent generator installed.

These are what we refer to as "Cat in a Box" generators, and given a 20' container size, it could be a 1Mw generator inside.

The reason Carnival is going this route is because the true upgrade to a more reliable power plant requires a serious shipyard period (think Triumph) to encase the power cables from the forward engine room in a fire proof conduit where it runs through the aft engine room.

So this temporary generator gives them the ability to claim increased reliability while waiting for the economic right time to make permanent improvements.

It is a good temporary solution to a flawed design of the separate engine rooms.

Thank you for your concise analysis.

I'm one of the (few?) people who are interested in How Systems Work -or Not.

From my professional viewpoint, and from what I've read of Carnival's $500m upgrade, this is part of the upgrade, designed to provide power to limited hotel functions until the ships go to shipyard and can get a permanent generator installed. These are what we refer to as "Cat in a Box" generators, and given a 20' container size, it could be a 1Mw generator inside.

The reason Carnival is going this route is because the true upgrade to a more reliable power plant requires a serious shipyard period (think Triumph) to encase the power cables from the forward engine room in a fire proof conduit where it runs through the aft engine room. So this temporary generator gives them the ability to claim increased reliability while waiting for the economic right time to make permanent improvements. It is a good temporary solution to a flawed design of the separate engine rooms.

I agree with you. I do not have much knowledge in the construction, electrical industry, but I see it as more of a temporary solution until a dry-dock can fix the problem.

Not to Hi-jack the thread, but if this is true and they send the ships to dry dock, will dry dock be in Italy where they "freshen" up the ships? If so, do you think they will schedule some Mediterranean cruises while the ships are over there? I am asking because we want to take a Mediterranean cruise with Carnival but they have discontinued them as of now for 2014.

Not to Hi-jack the thread, but if this is true and they send the ships to dry dock, will dry dock be in Italy where they "freshen" up the ships? If so, do you think they will schedule some Mediterranean cruises while the ships are over there? I am asking because we want to take a Mediterranean cruise with Carnival but they have discontinued them as of now for 2014.

Again, the term "drydock" is used pretty freely by cruisers. All ships have to either drydock or have an underwater survey by divers every 2.5 years. Cruise ships tend not to do underwater surveys, so they will drydock every 2.5 years. Major renovations or even refurbishments (freshening up) of the hotel does not require drydocking, just a shipyard period. Only work below the waterline (paint, propellers, etc) requires a drydock. Where will Carnival do their shipyards, with the upgrades? Can't say. A lot depends on their working relationship with the yards (and after the latest fiasco in Italy, I'm not sure they are up on Fincantieri) and the cost factor involved.

From my understanding, Carnival has pretty much abandoned Europe altogether due to the emissions control requirements that are now mirroring the US emission controls which require the use of low sulfur diesel fuel within 200 miles of the US coast. The last I'd heard, while the North Sea and Baltics have had emission control zones for years, the rest of Europe, including the Med are now enforcing these as well. While Carnival can't abandon the US completely (as this is their largest demographic), they have abandoned ports like Baltimore due to extended times within the US ECA, they can get out of Europe without loss of revenue since the demographic has bottomed due to the economy.

To answer your question, they may have some Med cruises, but I would doubt it.

They dont usually send their ships to Europe. Most seems to be done in the Bahamas.

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

A lot depends on their working relationship with the yards (and after the latest fiasco in Italy, I'm not sure they are up on Fincantieri)

What was the fiasco in Italy? I haven't heard about that. I thought they had a good relationship with Fincantieri, they built much of Carnival Corp's fleet.

Edited by Multi-Cruiser

What was the fiasco in Italy? I haven't heard about that. I thought they had a good relationship with Fincantieri, they built much of Carnival Corp's fleet.

Vandalism was reported on the Carnival Sunshine during its major refurbishment in spring. This is fincantieri, but not the same shipyard where the Breeze was built.

Not to Hi-jack the thread, but if this is true and they send the ships to dry dock, will dry dock be in Italy where they "freshen" up the ships?

Carnival Corp. is a co-owner of the Grand Bahamas ship yard... so that is where most Carnival ships go when they need work done. It keeps the money within the corporation that way.

Carnival Corp. is a co-owner of the Grand Bahamas ship yard... so that is where most Carnival ships go when they need work done. It keeps the money within the corporation that way.

That's interesting, I didn't know that. It seems to make good business sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free