Cruise care protection plan

Cathyandchuck

Recently booked a cruise and went with celebrity's insurance plan due to aging parents. Wondering if anyone has had to make a claim for this reason- parent gets hospitalized or dies- and if so did this also cover the cost of flights? It appears that we were charged according to cost of cruise & I was told that that price would also include air fare refund. Sounds too good to be true. I also found it a little confusing as to whether the refund was a cash refund or a credit that would be applied to a future cruise. Any info on this is greatly appreciated.

Before you worry about anything else, check to see if the policy covers the death/hospitalization of a family member not travelling with you. Some policies only cover those who are travelling. Read the fine print...don't trust a phone call....it should be very clear what is covered.

Recently booked a cruise and went with celebrity's insurance plan due to aging parents. Wondering if anyone has had to make a claim for this reason- parent gets hospitalized or dies- and if so did this also cover the cost of flights? It appears that we were charged according to cost of cruise & I was told that that price would also include air fare refund. Sounds too good to be true. I also found it a little confusing as to whether the refund was a cash refund or a credit that would be applied to a future cruise. Any info on this is greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you need the type of policy that includes pre-existing conditions. My dad is in his 80's, and sees a doctor every three months. If anything happens to him, it is definitely pre-existing because he has seen a doctor and takes meds. This is true even if just the meds are changed in any way. Also, I see a chiropractor once in a while. For me that is pre-existing if it connects in any way to something that might happen to me on board. You pay a premium for this pre-existing clause, but it is very, very important. Be careful, as insurance companies make their rules to fit their benefit and NOT yours. It can be quite pricey so compare and taylor to your own specific needs!:eek: But, consider the alternative...

i believe these must be booked within a few days of giving your deposit. i tried to purchase it a few months before sailing, and was told it was too late. I got a regular type policy and luckily we didn't need to use it. My mother-in-law is will be 93 when we sail again, so we must get this more expensive policy.

Robin

It sounds like you need the type of policy that includes pre-existing conditions. My dad is in his 80's, and sees a doctor every three months. If anything happens to him, it is definitely pre-existing because he has seen a doctor and takes meds. This is true even if just the meds are changed in any way. Also, I see a chiropractor once in a while. For me that is pre-existing if it connects in any way to something that might happen to me on board. You pay a premium for this pre-existing clause, but it is very, very important. Be careful, as insurance companies make their rules to fit their benefit and NOT yours. It can be quite pricey so compare and taylor to your own specific needs!:eek: But, consider the alternative...

Good point about pre-existing conditions for travelers.however policies which cover trip interruption for family (non traveler) illnesses do not normally apply pre-existing conditions. We had an experience several years ago when we cancelled a Princess cruise at last minute due to our daughter going into very early labor. Policy which did not cover pre existing conditions paid us in full since person requiring medical attention which prevented our trip was a family member, not an insured passenger.

• 4 weeks later...

You obviously didn't read my earlier note....nor did you read your policy. In both cases above, the individual sees the doctor for routine visits and no change in medication. For purposes of most insurance policies, that is NOT A PRE-EXISTING CONDITION.

Take the time to read your policy rather than assuming you know what a pre-existing condition is. Remember, the contract is what governs a travel inisurance policy, not your interpretations.

I too am in this position. Can anyone recommend a company that sells the cruise protection that will cover if a non-traveling family member becomes ill and this prevents me from not taking my cruise?

I believe that most policies do cover ill non traveling members with no pre existing condition exclusions.

Insuremytrip.com. You can compare all insurance policies and coverages on this website and purchase as well. It is important to check each policy's definition of "pre-existing condition" as they do differ and make sure the Pre-exissting condition waiver is included.

With most policies, if you buy it within 10 days of deposit, pre-existing conditions are waived.

We usually purchase our policy on this website. You do need to make sure to include the cost of the airline tickets in the total cost of the trip unless your ticket is refundable or you can re-use it within a certain timeframe.

Many times, the policies offered by the cruiselines only include the cruisefare, unless you booked air through them and sometimes, you only get the refund in the form of a travel credit not a money refund!!!!

This is one of those times shen you MUST read the fine print and not just accept the word of whoever is selling you the policy.

good luck

I too am in this position. Can anyone recommend a company that sells the cruise protection that will cover if a non-traveling family member becomes ill and this prevents me from not taking my cruise?

We use tripinsurancestore.com for our insurance. They have several types to chose from. If not sure what you want or need, I would call the number on their website and talk with a rep. They are all very helpful and knowledgeable and will work with you to get the correct coverage for your needs.

Good luck:)

Insuremytrip.com. You can compare all insurance policies and coverages on this website and purchase as well. It is important to check each policy's definition of "pre-existing condition" as they do differ and make sure the Pre-exissting condition waiver is included.

Make sure it's included ONLY IF YOU NEED IT, BASED ON THE DEFINITION IN THE POLICY.

If you are concerned about an ill family member not traveling with you, I believe that pre existing condition discussions are not relevent. Any discussion of them clouds the answer to your real question. Indeed, an insurance company would have no right to ask about medical history of a non traveling family member, only information about the state of the family member's health on the day that the condition was serious enough for you to interrupt or cancel your trip. That was indeed our experience when insurance paid cruise cancellation costs of a Princess cruise due to our daughter's very early labor prior to the birth of our grandson who was born two months later.

If you are concerned about an ill family member not traveling with you, I believe that pre existing condition discussions are not relevent.

That totally depends on the policy; some policies apply preexisting conditions only to those travelling on the covered trip, some extend this to all persons.

Archived