Cruise Planners Unite

Wow- ok, I thought I overplanned, but apparently I'm incredibly spontaneous compared to some of you. ;)

Actually, I can see how it would be different on one of the big ships, where you prebook at lot of the shows- for our upcoming cruise, I have activities planned for the 4 port days, and the logistics of getting to and from the ship, but that's about all the formal planning I've done.

Of course, I've also absorbed volumes of information about the ship, RCL, the ports, etc, etc. from the boards, so I know about the deck 4 helipad, the policy for bringing wine on board (even though we won't do it) and way more than I want to know about tipping.

Here's my problem: I like knowing what's going on, and my family appreciates it (we travel with my parents, in-laws, and my wife and kids). BUT, once I get on board, I'd kind of like then to fend for themselves on sea days. But they expect me to tell them everything they should do next. I suspect that's the curse of the overplanner- but I don't know how to escape it and, you know, just enjoy the cruise without being responsible for everyone every minute.

Ahh well. At least I've learned all of the quiet places to go and hide from them. ;)

Wow- ok, I thought I overplanned, but apparently I'm incredibly spontaneous compared to some of you. ;)

Actually, I can see how it would be different on one of the big ships, where you prebook at lot of the shows- for our upcoming cruise, I have activities planned for the 4 port days, and the logistics of getting to and from the ship, but that's about all the formal planning I've done.

Of course, I've also absorbed volumes of information about the ship, RCL, the ports, etc, etc. from the boards, so I know about the deck 4 helipad, the policy for bringing wine on board (even though we won't do it) and way more than I want to know about tipping.

Here's my problem: I like knowing what's going on, and my family appreciates it (we travel with my parents, in-laws, and my wife and kids). BUT, once I get on board, I'd kind of like then to fend for themselves on sea days. But they expect me to tell them everything they should do next. I suspect that's the curse of the overplanner- but I don't know how to escape it and, you know, just enjoy the cruise without being responsible for everyone every minute.

Ahh well. At least I've learned all of the quiet places to go and hide from them. ;)

Oh, you are a perfect candidate for spreadsheets ;). This is my main purpose for them. I tape a copy in our room, and if I've arranged things for friends/relatives, I give them a copy for their room as well. You don't have to be the grand keeper of all knowledge at that point, you just refer them to the spreadsheet! After a couple of cruises, you get most of them trained, though I don't think I ever successfully trained DH.

I've attached a copy of our last Oasis cruise spreadsheet, which i promised my DD that we would keep it "laid back". I really only tracked show and MTD reservations.

I also create a ship map for the room (2nd tab). I think this is more for me than anyone else, but I kinda like to know which way to turn when I leave the cabin :o.

Dec 8 2012 Oasis Cruise.xls

Eriksgarden --

I, too, have made my own compass twice when traveling with a family group!

I'm sure you know this, but printing it on cardstock, rather than regular printer paper, gives a really professional look.

On the front I list the ship's itinerary, a welcome note, who's in what cabin, dinner seating, plus other fun or useful notes.

On the back are the group excursions, with a list of what to bring for each one, where to meet & what time.

It's fun for me & turns out to be useful. AND, I don't have to answer, at dinner every night, "what day are we doing the stingrays?" ;)

Best,

Mary

I know you are out there...the OCD people like me that spend hours reading and compiling information to plan your cruise vacation. This is my first cruise and I am in hopes you can help me.

Does anyone have a spreadsheet of their plans for their cruise vacations they would care to share with me. I'm thinking it would be easiest if I could print a spreadsheet with a general agenda for each day as a quick reference guide.

Thanks for your help! I will be traveling on the Oasis in May with my DH....WOOHOO! Can't wait!

We had a port-intensive cruise last year. I had a spreadsheet for each day, that included all of our expenses broken down each day so we knew how much Euro cash to have with us (we sailed out of Barcelona) each day.

My life saver was a 10-tabbed expandable folder, kinda like one of those bill organizers, but it was big enough to accommodate regular 8.5x11 sheets of paper. I had a tab section for each day. All the documents for flights, hotels, tickets for excursions, cruise documents, you name it went in my handy-dandy folder according to the day it was needed. It kept us organized and we had all the paperwork with us in our carry-on bag.

Hubby was impressed that everything was there and we didn't have to worry about not having what we needed before each day at port -- when the craziness really kicks in on a cruise :)

I use my iCal which in turn sync's with my iPhone and my iPad... here's my week on the Oasis game plan from last year of just the things on the ship..

ScreenShot2013-03-21at124440AM_zps5d5e17f3.png

You don't even want to see the mess of the one I have for our next cruise... 10 people, 8 ports, 10000 different ideas of things to do :eek:

We are planners... we have a problem... we know it...

Great calendar Beth! I typically use Google calendar but that iCal looks worth checking out!

calendar_zps87ab6fdc.jpg

I use my iCal which in turn sync's with my iPhone and my iPad... here's my week on the Oasis game plan from last year of just the things on the ship..

ScreenShot2013-03-21at124440AM_zps5d5e17f3.png

You don't even want to see the mess of the one I have for our next cruise... 10 people, 8 ports, 10000 different ideas of things to do :eek:

We are planners... we have a problem... we know it...

I like the idea of using iCal (or google calendar for android)...hmmm...

@Grumpus we must have been posting at the same time...I didn't see your google calendar...they are both good

Mary, it's certainly more personal than a spreadsheet. We made an overview "Compass" for the cruise, then others for each day. On the upcoming cruise, we will slip them under the door of my mom's cabin each morning, so she can see what to expect. We did this on a trip to Disney World and it was one of the highlights of the trip. And now with QR Codes, we add QR Codes that lead to videos or similar. It adds another dimension and "Wow" to it.

Another OCD cruiser, guilty of excessive advance planning here!

I don't have a single spreadsheet. I do have one to track payments, but everything else I have is in Word, rather than Excel.

I have a "Ports of Call" document which is currently about 20 pages long, listing possibilities for each of our five ports. I have a document entitled "Itinerary So Far" where I transfer things as decisions are made or I learn specific details from these boards. (For example, it includes anticipated formal nights, Quest show night, 70s party, time of Muster Drill, etc.) I will have a hand-written document when we get closer, to help me pack. I have a document entitled "Just the Facts" which includes sections for Hotel (confirmation number, address, phone, room specifics), air line tickets, cruise reservation # and cabin #, airport parking details, excursions for each port, etc. I have a walking-tour map of Old San Juan for our pre-cruise stay.

I wonder if a larger number of obsessive planners choose cruise vacations than other vacations??

I like the idea of using iCal (or google calendar for android)...hmmm...

@Grumpus we must have been posting at the same time...I didn't see your google calendar...they are both good

Both look very capable of handling the job!;)

What I do is bring a Diamond December magnet on the cruise and post the calendar on the outside of the bathroom door so we always know it's location and easily able to make a quick check it on the way out.

For our Caribbean cruises my notebook/spreadsheets were pretty simple. But for our port intensive Mediterranean cruise/land trips, they get quite large! For you non-planners; on one Med cruise, after our 2nd port stop, our table mates asked if they could photo copy our info for the rest of the trip. (yes, they went to the purser's desk and had copies made) They had not done any planning and expected to do cruise excursions or have the purser’s desk provide them with maps and tourist info! (haha) They wasted their first two port days wandering around and one excursion that went to 1 place and took 4hrs of their time. :)

We went to Key West with friends for a few days. The first morning, we were ready to go at 7am. Our friends were spread out on the bed watching TV! "What do you want to do?" "I dunno, what do you want to do?" We weren't going to wait around for them to decide to get up and enjoy Key West. "We'll meet up with you guys for lunch" Lunch came and went. Then dinner. After 2 days, right when we were leaving, one said, "Wow, we didn't see a whole lot. Key West is boring" Meanwhile, my partner and I had a blast, saw just about everything, and had tons of pictures and memories. If there is something called "excessive planning", we have yet to experience that.

yes i'm ocd, in many shapes and forms and definitely a planner for many vacations. right now im planning my next week stay in CABO then when I get back full force in our cruise trip Oasis in June with the kiddos.!! i've been on these boards almost weekly, daily before i booked and yikes it's been overwhelming but has helped. I have an itinerary i save in my email folder- day 1- dinner ressies, shows etc.. and port days-- I haven't planned port days yet but want to just overwhelmed right now with all there is to need to know.

I don't think i could do a spreadsheet, an app on my IPHONE YES is there one?? please tell me??

what we usually do on these type of vacations (we've done All inclusives before) Is read the compass/newsletter that's delivered the night before and highlight what we want to do and what we can do.. discuss w/ kids etc.. if we miss stuff I'm fine with that as I want to relax on my trip too. most important is we get to see some of the kid stuff (character breakfast , parade, ) and the nightly shows. WE usually have free time to do a spa treatment, just lay in the sun, this definitely is going to be a more active trip though then we are use to LOL

I admit I have COPD Cruise Obsession Planning Disorder and plan my cruises by going online. While I don't do the spreadsheets I will go on Cruise Critic and educate myself about the cruise in the months and weeks prior to the cruise.

A well planned cruise is one where once you get onboard you feel like your at home. Its worth studying the deck planes of the cruise, what special restaurants are onboard etc. If you don't plan you really can find yourself at a loss.

I have a carry-on bag ready to go with swimgear, sunglasses, sunscreen, water bottle and Travel Mug to take onboard. Its light but has everything one needs to get onboard.

The day before boarding I ensure that the passports and Set Sail Pass are in the carryon folder and confirm that one can board the ship early at port.

I even set alarm clocks on my Smartphone what time the rooms open at, To remind me to go to the MDR to check on our table assignment the first day, book restaurants onboard to use our OBC etc. It really does help.

I also found that adding your stateroom number in your Notepad on your cellphone with landmarks will really help if you come back after a night of partying.

The best cruise is one that has been planned but not too overplanned. In port I plan just to walk and let the day take me wherever it may. I keep track of the ship's time to ensure we get onboard 90 minutes before sailaway or earlier if we are too tired.

Printing Google Maps(Satelite version) of each port and going to the tourist information office for a local map helps us do the ports on our own. We use the money saved on a ship tour for a delicious lunch in port.

We went to Key West with friends for a few days. The first morning, we were ready to go at 7am. Our friends were spread out on the bed watching TV! "What do you want to do?" "I dunno, what do you want to do?" We weren't going to wait around for them to decide to get up and enjoy Key West. "We'll meet up with you guys for lunch" Lunch came and went. Then dinner. After 2 days, right when we were leaving, one said, "Wow, we didn't see a whole lot. Key West is boring" Meanwhile, my partner and I had a blast, saw just about everything, and had tons of pictures and memories. If there is something called "excessive planning", we have yet to experience that.

SOOO True!!! A (planned) toast to all of the planners out there! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I also create a ship map for the room (2nd tab). I think this is more for me than anyone else, but I kinda like to know which way to turn when I leave the cabin :o.

Oh I love your ship's map - how ingenious!! :)

Archived