ID Question

GPop&Nana

BTW I didn't scroll far enough on that link the first time but there appear to be passport offices in other TX cities inc Houston and Dallas.

A quick search does seem to indicate that a passport card can be issued same day, but I would call to confirm before taking my advice as 100% accurate :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Right ... DoS but only available in states on the border ... Thanks for clarifying.

No worries. Actually, you can get a passport card in any state, but they are most commonly purchased in border states, b/c their main benefit is land travel to Canada and Mexico.

Actually, there are ICE people who have the final OK.

You sure about that? What is the source of that information?

Everything I have read is that you don't see them, and can't see them, until you return.

If they were to look at your docs in advance, you are effectively asking them to "pre-clear" you which they do not do.

No worries. Actually, you can get a passport card in any state, but they are most commonly purchased in border states, b/c their main benefit is land travel to Canada and Mexico.

Oh hmm that must have changed since we did ours before. Or am I thinking that licences from border states can be used to cross the border I.e. you can use a Michigan license to visit Ontario.

Either way it is probably going to be a quicker option for them to get the card or passport book from their closest office and they should have a fun cruise after that :) jealous since it is 30 degrees here on Chicago right now!

Oh hmm that must have changed since we did ours before. Or am I thinking that licences from border states can be used to cross the border I.e. you can use a Michigan license to visit Ontario.

Either way it is probably going to be a quicker option for them to get the card or passport book from their closest office and they should have a fun cruise after that :) jealous since it is 30 degrees here on Chicago right now!

You are mixing up the Enhanced Drivers License and the Passport Card. A Passport Card is available to any US citizen, and EDL is only available to residents of certain states (and not every drivers license issued in those states is an EDL, they require special processing and are different than a regular one).

Ah too darn complicated ... Easier to just have a passport book and simply renew it every few years :) it isn't that expensive and saves a lot off extra stress when planning a trip.

Thanks for clarifying ... I learned stuff today :)

Why does it take so long to obtain a license in TX? We receive ours on the spot here in Florida :confused:

I know - and thought all states did it that way - Tennessee does too. Oh well live and learn - still waiting for the mailman...

You should have "lost" your old drivers license before applying for the new one. Let that be a lesson for everyone else.

Lying to the motor vehicle office is not a good idea ... and might require you to re-take the road test or written test if you cannot produce your out-of-state license.

But, if you need your old license as cruise ID, one option would be to wait til after the cruise to apply for the new license. A state may give a grace period to new residents before they have to obtain a local driver's license. In NJ it is 60 days and in TX 90 days.

But, if you need your old license as cruise ID, one option would be to wait til after the cruise to apply for the new license. A state may give a grace period to new residents before they have to obtain a local driver's license. In NJ it is 60 days and in TX 90 days.

True enough! - Unfortunately my Fl DL was about to expire (and would have before the cruise) so I had no choice. Had it expired on the day I went in, I would have had to take both the written and driving tests...the eye test was scary enough...lol

True enough! - Unfortunately my Fl DL was about to expire (and would have before the cruise) so I had no choice. Had it expired on the day I went in, I would have had to take both the written and driving tests...the eye test was scary enough...lol

Speaking of motor vehicle eye tests... when I moved to NJ, I was required to take one. In my former jurisdiction you were allowed to keep both eyes open and I had no problem. But in NJ, I was required to take the test one eye at a time. And I didn't want to use my glasses because my license would be restricted to wearing glasses. One eye passed, but my other eye is nearsighted and could not make out the letters at all. The lady says, "You're blind in that eye right?" and I was a bit shocked at that. :eek: I had to get a letter from an eye doctor attesting to my vision.

What's the eye test like in TX?

My wallet was stolen the day before we flew out for our cruise. I went to the BMV the morning we flew out and got the same paper copy. I was told by Carnival that they wouldn't know until I got there if they would accept it or not. I prayed all the way hoping I wasn't waving goodbye to the aft of the ship as my DH and DD's sailed away. Good news- had absolutely no problem accept with the old lady checking them before security. After her it was a breeze. Just make sure it has the government raised stamp on it and you should be good to go. :D

What's the eye test like in TX?

Like in school - kind of a box thing and you put your forehead against the bar and the screen lights up - you read line five...one, two, three, and four - no problem...five was tougher - the gentleman told e to press hard to make it brighter...idk, but it worked - I squinted, but passed. Made an eye doctors appointment for next week:o.

:DThank you all for the thoughts and wishes...They both got here today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One more thing taken care of.

Thank you again!

Nana

All of that stress for nothing!!! Now take a deep breath, relax, and think about your upcoming cruise.

Archived