Help me decide if a balcony is worth it! June 5 day on Glory to New England

Maryscooking

So we booked this trip because we want to see a bit of New England/Canada, and it is affordable. Price is definitely a consideration. Not like the mortgage won't get paid, but it could impact other trips we take or not this summer.

We have never cruised with our daughter (6) without a balcony, but on our last trip, we realized that due to spending so much time at camp (her) and Serenity/Cloud Nine Spa (us) that we didn't really get our money's worth from the balcony. So this time we booked an oceanview to see how it would work for us. Figured a five day was a good amt of time to experiment.

Except then I chickened out and secretly changed our reservation to our usual upper deck balcony without telling my husband. (Don't worry, he doesn't read here, lol!).

Now prices have come waaaay down on oceanviews. And I'm trying to decide if I should switch us back. The checkbook thinks it is a good idea and I know what DH would say :) but I am having a hard time giving up the balcony.

So here are the cost scenarios (for three people):

Deck 1 midship oceanview: $1096

Deck 6 aft balcony (NOT extended, just regular balcony): $1486 - the cheapest balcony available.

Deck 9 forward (Lido) balcony, what I have booked right now: $1686

So you can see there is a $590 difference in what I have now vs. what my husband thinks we are staying in (although when we booked it, the price was $1525 with $150 OBC so he doesn't know how cheap it is now). He obviously would be fine with the OV because he doesn't know about my prime location balcony - I LOVE being on the Lido deck, super close to all the places we spend our time.

But $590 is a big price to pay for the location, especially considering how cheap the cruise is!

Help me decide!

I enjoy balconies, but I've found that as my DS gets older, we're out and about the ship a lot more. I have also found that I don't use the balcony as much when on a port itensive itinerary, which is why I opted against one on the Glory sailing following yours. With only two sea days, I figured the $400 could be used elsewhere.

Enjoy your cruise.

Remember, you are sailing to CANADA not the Caribbean! I've sailed this itinerary with and without a balcony. Personal preference is now an OV. You can use the balcony leaving Boston and maybe coming/leaving port in Canada. Balcony use is approx. 5-6 hours of the cruise, unless you plan to bundle up (think cold & windy).

We're on the June 9 sailing...I booked an OV for the exact reason CruiserBren gave...it's gonna be cool..and the balcony will just not be used that much. We always do a balcony if we're sailing in warmer areas but Canada in early June is not going to be warm like the Caribbean!

Now if the prices come down a whole lot I might rethink the balcony issue:D

We always get a balcony - even for our Canada and Alaska cruises! When we went to Canada (August one summer) we hit 80 degree temps everyday- up and back, and no fog. We love our balcony as it is an escape from the crowds on deck. However, if you have any doubts about using it, I would go with the oceanview.

We have never cruised with our daughter (6) without a balcony, but on our last trip, we realized that due to spending so much time at camp (her) and Serenity/Cloud Nine Spa (us) that we didn't really get our money's worth from the balcony.

I think you answered your own question.

I also agree that a 5 day would be a good test.

Always love a balcony, but since it's a 5-day, go for the oceanview and use the extra $$ for an excursion. That's a pretty big price difference...

I agree.

June in NE can be cool so you may not want to be on the balcony anyway. Put the saved money towards another cruise...that's what I would do. :)...and I LOVE having a balcony.

I just hope they allow you to downgrade....I have read some posts on here from people who weren't able to do so.

ive done ocean view and balcony with my kids dd(6) and ds(5). that being said when we did the glory to Canada we did ocean view. sailing from nyc it was 90degrees and when we got up the coast it quickly went to hoodie weather.

we were fine with 4 of us in an oceanview and that being said I would save the money and get the oceanview and save the $$ for a balcony when you sail warmer weather

We've done the canada route several times. It really is luck of the draw with the weather. You are going pretty early, so it will more than likely be very cool and perhaps even foggy. We were lucky one cruise to even sit outside for more than an hour it was so chilly on sea days. Port days can be lovely, but once you factor in the wind when sailing, it is downright cold. If price is a consideration, don't think you'll miss the balcony on this itinerary.

I see a June 4th sailing-- NOT the 5th.

I got a balcony on empress deck for 3 for $1,346.00

oceanview on Riveria is $1,056.00

Please check your sailing and your prices. they are a lot lower then you are posting

I personally would stay with an oceanview with that itinerary. When I did that cruise (also early June) I did not find the weather optimal and I was happy with an OV. I remember it was pretty cool/chilly and even the lido deck did not get a lot of use until later in the day when the sun came out. Also mornings were very foggy so you couldn't see 5 ft beyond the ship anyway. Plus it isn't as scenic as an Alaska cruise to justify the extra expense. But this of course is my personal experience / opinion and conditions could be vastly different during your sailing. If the difference in price was not much I would say go ahead, but in this case I would use the extra cash for other things.

I see a June 4th sailing-- NOT the 5th.

I got a balcony on empress deck for 3 for $1,346.00

oceanview on Riveria is $1,056.00

Please check your sailing and your prices. they are a lot lower then you are posting

Sorry, you are misunderstanding my title. I meant we are going on a 5 day sailing in June.

The departure date is June 25.

Thanks for all the replies! I was all set this morning to change it.

But I am a big dork. Forgot that I originally booked Early Saver. So when I upgraded the cabin to the balcony last week, it locked me into a balcony. They wouldn't let me go back down to the oceanview, even though my original booking was OV (which I think is questionable but I didn't try to fight it). So boo on that.

On a very positive note, the balcony rates dropped twice this morning, and I should get $200 OBC from submitting the price protection form. Its funny how much they are fluctuating because I just checked after work, and they are back up a little bit again.

You could always cancel and rebook. They may give in and let you downgrade without actually making you do that. See if it would be worth it with the penalty then make a decision.

We are going on the Glory on a 5 day out of Norfolk and it will be our first time in an OV vs Balcony. I couldn't justify the price difference.

Good luck!

You could always cancel and rebook. They may give in and let you downgrade without actually making you do that. See if it would be worth it with the penalty then make a decision.

We are going on the Glory on a 5 day out of Norfolk and it will be our first time in an OV vs Balcony. I couldn't justify the price difference.

Good luck!

I did ask if I could pay the change fee (it would have been $150) and then downgrade, because that would still have saved a bunch of money, but the nice lady said NO.

She explained that I could pay $150 and pick out an entirely different sailing, as cheap as I wanted to go, but truthfully there was nothing sailing that week that interested me. All the cheaper rates were Bahamas or W. Carribbean, which we've done at least three times now.

So I stuck with the balcony. Honestly it is not even as much about the balcony as it is about the location on the lido deck.

Although it makes no sense at all that I couldn't pay the $150 to get a cheaper rate on the same ship, but would have been able to do it to get a cheaper rate on a different ship...

Oh well. Have a great time anywa!. We were on the Lido deck on the Liberty - cabin 9270 and loved it. No issues. Would book again in a heartbeat.

Thanks! I love lido deck cabins, just being able to pretty much walk out of my cabin and hit the pool, bars, buffet, spa/gym; camp carnival & serenity just a quick trip upstairs, etc.

That all said, I am still motivated to take advantage of the big difference in price from this sale. When I upgraded to the balcony, it was only $160 more than what we had booked the OV for. And then came this sale.

My new plan is to find out if my husband can change his vacation days and if so, re-book an OV on the 6/20 departure (same itinerary and everything just five days earlier). Even with the $150 fee, we'd save money. The thing is, he is on shift right now (he is a firefighter) and I can't get ahold of him. I know he has mandatory testing sometime in June, and it is Murphy's Law that if I change this booking without asking him, his testing will be on the day of our departure.

Thanks! I love lido deck cabins, just being able to pretty much walk out of my cabin and hit the pool, bars, buffet, spa/gym; camp carnival & serenity just a quick trip upstairs, etc.

That all said, I am still motivated to take advantage of the big difference in price from this sale. When I upgraded to the balcony, it was only $160 more than what we had booked the OV for. And then came this sale.

My new plan is to find out if my husband can change his vacation days and if so, re-book an OV on the 6/20 departure (same itinerary and everything just five days earlier). Even with the $150 fee, we'd save money. The thing is, he is on shift right now (he is a firefighter) and I can't get ahold of him. I know he has mandatory testing sometime in June, and it is Murphy's Law that if I change this booking without asking him, his testing will be on the day of our departure.

Hope it gets all worked out. As you can see from my handle, my hubby is a firefighter too! I'm leaving him home on my upcoming cruise. Just the girls this time :D

Hope it gets all worked out. As you can see from my handle, my hubby is a firefighter too! I'm leaving him home on my upcoming cruise. Just the girls this time :D

Nice!

And it did work out, all because I got a customer service rep willing to do a little extra! I was on hold 2 hrs 10 min (thank goodness for speaker phone!) before I got her on the line.

And when I asked if I could switch to the oceanview (friends and family past guest rate), she said she thought the computer would see it as a downgrade - and the computer did reject it. But she tried it again, the computer seemed to reject it again, so she refreshed her screen and low and behold I had the new room and new rate, which is a full $600 cheaper!!! Without paying a fee or anything.

My balance due is only $186 now, so all that extra money is going to be spent on a few days in Boston before the cruise. *Happy dance!*

We sailed last year on glory's first Canada sailing in June. Go for OV. It was so foggy and rainy our departure was delayed a day. On the return home it was so foggy the outside decks were closed because it was like pea soup. And it was slick to walk. When I say outside decks I mean the sports deck, serenity area and limited walking on lido. The Aft pool w retractable roof is adult area so very nice.

Nice!

And it did work out, all because I got a customer service rep willing to do a little extra! I was on hold 2 hrs 10 min (thank goodness for speaker phone!) before I got her on the line.

And when I asked if I could switch to the oceanview (friends and family past guest rate), she said she thought the computer would see it as a downgrade - and the computer did reject it. But she tried it again, the computer seemed to reject it again, so she refreshed her screen and low and behold I had the new room and new rate, which is a full $600 cheaper!!! Without paying a fee or anything.

My balance due is only $186 now, so all that extra money is going to be spent on a few days in Boston before the cruise. *Happy dance!*

Yay!!! Did you happen to get one of the big OV rooms? We were lucky to have snagged 2470 and 2473 for our upcoming Glory cruise :)

Archived