Newbie - Princess Cruise/Air Package Worries

Ajsis

I am brand new to cruising but looking to do the 12-night Med cruise this summer on the Royal Princess. There is what appears to be a fantastic deal on air inclusive packages through Princess - save $500/pp (there are 4 of us) on air! This significant savings (approx $2k+) to what I have been looking at on Travelocity but I have read a few threads on the boards that warn against booking air through the cruise line. This cruise begins in Barcelona and ends in Venice so no roundtrip. Can you pick your flights when booking through Princess or do they just assign what they want to? It appears there is more flexibility in terms of refund than booking through an airline - am I missing something? Booking this cruise seems a bit overwhelming (I do not know any local TA's - I have always booked my own vacations since I like to be in control) so any guidance would be appreciated! Thanks

This cruise begins in Barcelona and ends in Venice so no roundtrip. Can you pick your flights when booking through Princess or do they just assign what they want to? It appears there is more flexibility in terms of refund than booking through an airline - am I missing something? Booking this cruise seems a bit overwhelming (I do not know any local TA's - I have always booked my own vacations since I like to be in control) so any guidance would be appreciated! Thanks

US to Barcelona then Venice to US is considered a roundtrip, it is what is called an "open jaw" RT. So look up flights that way, not as one way fares.

With Princess EZ air you pick the airports and flights you want. You also have a selection of flexible fares which are usually more costly, and non flexible. You may have routes and connections you like, or you may not like them. Go into the site and look around. Also if you require different airports then the ones shown by Princess ask your travel agent to request the airport you want. I see your post is from Ohio. For example, maybe Pittsburgh is an easier airport for you, and it may not be included in the Princess selection. Just ask for it.

If you book using Princess EZ air you will get an EZ Air confirmation number. Wait a day then call the airline directly, they should be able to translate the EZ AIr ref. no. to their own booking number. In that way you can go directly to the airline site, select seats and follow any changes.

I always suggest you plan to arrive Barcelona a min. of one day early to allow for delays. With Princess EZ Air you get next port protection, that is Princess will fly you to meet the ship should you get delayed.

If the prices are right go for it. It's not like in the past where a month before the cruise you get your flights. You know your flights when you book them.

You pick your own flights. Using Princess Air is similar to using another search engine, like Kayak, with some major exceptions. You will only be shown flights that are part of the Princess program, and you will get a choice of restricted or unrestricted fares. Unrestricted prices are not guaranteed until the full cost of air and cruise is paid for, but you do have cancel options. Restricted fares are not refundable and must be paid for when selected. You can, and many do, select flights a day or two early and a day or two after the cruise ends. Just to give yourself some wiggle room for weather or other transport delays.

The two previous posts describe nicely the Princess Program. I just want to comment that we have used both the restrcited once and flexible once. Both times our flights went smoothly. We always fly to our destination at least 1 day in advance and 2 whenever possible. takes the worry out.

I have read a few threads on the boards that warn against booking air through the cruise line.

With the recent promotion to save on airfare, it is difficult to find better airfare pricing elsewhere.

Princess used to pick your flights for you and that could result in horrendous routing and extra short or extra long connections.

But with EZAir you pick the flights you want and the routing you want from the list of flights availble to Princess. This does not prevent an airline from changing flight schedules, but that can happen if you book the same flights by another method.

Not every airline can be booked through Princess. One example is Southwest.

So if EZAir provides you with the best combination of routing, schedule and pricing, there is no reason not to use it.

We had used a cruise air program on our first cruise and the schedule was unbelievably bad. Vowed never to do it again. Until now! In checking with Princess for our upcoming Mediterranean cruise, I saved more than the $500 per person and got a better schedule. Plus the fare was refundable. However, I keep checking and I still can't do better than the original. We are thrilled. By all means, check with them to see what they can offer. You don't have to take what they have available.

Archived