Having a lot of anxiety about our cruise!

ShanteS

In our Target they are by all of the swimming gear, not sports. So if you find the wet shoes, goggles, toys, etc that's where I found it. We've been to all of those islands, but not with a child. There should be some nice beaches to be had, but the not crowded or noisy may be tougher. We did shore excursions from the ship. It was just easier. In Cozumel the beach couldn't have been more crowded but we got two chairs, plopped down the sand bucket between them, and as far as our dd knew, we were the only ones there. It was great.

Hello all! This year I'll be taking my daughter on her first cruise just a week shy of her 2nd birthday. Since I haven't had a vacation since 2010 when I booked the cruise I was ecstatic and couldn't wait to take her. Now that some of the excitement has worn off anxiety is becoming a problem. She's my first baby and I'm a first time mom so I'm really really nervous and I'm considering everything. We have a balcony cabin (my first and I'm super excited about it) and I plan to have her out there with me but I don't want anyone picking her up so close to the wall for fear she might fall over. I'm too afraid to do a catamaran excursion with her because anything could happen. Do they have life vests for toddlers? I plan to take her to the beach but she's only allowed in the shallowest parts because I'm afraid she could get swept in. One thing is for certain, she will not be out of my sight for a second. Am I crazy or is this normal stuff every parent considers/worries about? Any advice for an extremely nervous mommy? I'm not so concerned with any possible issues with the ship, if anything happens with that I'll deal with it when the time comes but this is different. The whole point of the cruise was to relax and have a great time with her but now I'm afraid I'll be too busy worrying about everything. :(

My hubby was hesitant to take our little one on a cruise so for almost the first two years, we just did day trips (Disneyland, Sea world, that kind of thing). And we certainly didn't want to go on a trip without her (a big factor was that we didn't feel the grands would be able to handle her as well as having issues with them about this).

We finally decided to try a 3-day cruise with a land trip about some 130 miles away, when she was 23 months of age. Planned what to take (don't count on the ship's store having the right size diapers/pullups or medications). Stuffed our little car. She was a month too young for Camp Carnival, but it turned out to be okay as she had fun exploring the ship. She didn't go into the pools (not allowed with swim diapers for obvious reasons, so if this is important to you, take one of those inflatable pools). We talked with the cabin steward about what to do with the diapers. We tried her out with one of the ship's production shows (sitting in the back just in case we needed to make a quick exit, but she was fine -- she had been to a few kids' shows such as Blues Clues Live by that time). Then we got off the ship, back into the car, and drove down to San Diego and stayed at a hotel for a few days when there was a tall ships exhibition.

It was such a great experience, about a year and a half later, we took her on her first flight and a week-long cruise (plus another week exploring Florida). By that time, some friends had given us a floatie vest that their son had grown out of.

Last December, at age 15, she went on her 8th cruise for a total of 71 days on ships. We have never had a cabin other than insides or oceanviews so I can't speak about balconies. We were offered an upgrade to a balcony when she was 5, but we turned it down as I had the same concerns as you.

And yes, I tend to be nervous about her safety. Our community just had a major tragedy this week when a 14-yr-old girl passed away due to doing something very dumb and she was the sweetest girl. And as my daughter who knew her said, the last teen she would expect to do something like that.

Target is my go to store for nearly everything, especially since I have the Target CC. I'll probably go there today and see if they have any for my daughter to try on. We'll be going to St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, and St. Maarten. I want to go to one or two beaches total that aren't too crowded, rocky, or noisy.

I was lurking on this thread because I'm an overly paranoid mom embarking on an AK cruise with my almost 2yo DD in May. So I have no advice on cruising with a toddler YET, but I wanted to suggest some good beaches that I've been to in these ports.

We went to Megan's Bay in St. Thomas and it is truly one of my top 3 favorite beaches ever. No waves at all and completely clear. It's in a little cove and in a park that you have to pay admission to. There were some shaded areas under the trees. IMO it would be a great beach for a LO. In St. Lucia we took an island tour but ended up at Jalousie beach next to The Pitons. It was also in a cove and little to no waves. Lots of shady places under the trees.

Have a great time!!

• 2 weeks later...

My kids will be four and a half and six and a half when we cruise in a balcony room next month. Our first cruise was also a balcony room when they were two and a half and four and a half and everything was fine, no problems and I really don't recall much anxiety.

This trip, for some reason has me FREAKING OUT with anxiety. So much so that I got about three and a half sentences in to the OP's first post and I couldn't read any further as I'd started shaking and breathing irregularly at the "don't want anyone picking them up close to the wall" part.

So.... Whatever advice the wise and experienced CCers have given you, I desperately hope it helps relieve some of your stress. Hopefully I will be able to read the thread and get some of that advice as well. Have a fabulous trip!!

I didn't read all the posts but.... calm down! Do you watch your child? Are you aware? Then you are FINE. If you were in a hotel, would you lift your child over the railing? No? Then don't do it on a ship. Would you let your child wander without you? No, Then don't do it on a ship. It's the same stuff, different place. Be the good parent you seem to be and you will be fine. I've cruised with one as young as 6 months. It's a lot of work but it's just as much work as if we were at home.

The staff loves kids because a lot of them have family that they miss. They will treat your little angel with so much attention you'll be amazed.

Funny story - my grandson was around 1 YO. We are in the buffet having breakfast. A waiter comes up and says "can I borrow him for a minute". Sure, and off he goes. My SIL has this look on his face like, what are you doing with my son. The waiter takes him into the buffet kitchen to say hi to everyone. Brings him back about 5 minutes later. Dad was frantic, I was laughing.

There is so much new to explore. My grandson loved stairs that had "holes" in them so you could see through them. The glass elevator. Everything was new and exciting. Seeing life through the eyes of a small child.... priceless.

Your concerns are normal. Toddlers are challenging and doing anything outside the usual "routine" in familiar places does require more supervision and "alertness" for you as a parent. But, that said, you will be fine-- especially if you are traveling with other adults who could lend a hand.

So, as a mom, a few things that may help:

*Bring an umbrella stroller. When you need to have her in a safe spot, just strap her in, and you can go where you want.

*Stick to beach excursions. You will have a blast. Lots of the Caribbean ports have shallow, calm water that will be safe for you and your child. Ask on this board which family beaches people would recommend... or check the Ports of Call boards for those recommendations.

*Bring a portable DVD player, and don't be afraid to pop in a DVD if you need a break in the cabin or would like to get dressed for dinner.

*Make sure the balcony door is locked while you are in the bathroom or walking around the cabin. Have a rule that she is never out there alone and move the furniture away from the railing. These precautions will make you feel better, and everything will be fine.

*Have fun. Remember it's not a "vacation," it's "travel with children!" If you have that attitude and keep your expectations in check, you will have a blast.

Hello all! This year I'll be taking my daughter on her first cruise just a week shy of her 2nd birthday. Since I haven't had a vacation since 2010 when I booked the cruise I was ecstatic and couldn't wait to take her. Now that some of the excitement has worn off anxiety is becoming a problem. She's my first baby and I'm a first time mom so I'm really really nervous and I'm considering everything. We have a balcony cabin (my first and I'm super excited about it) and I plan to have her out there with me but I don't want anyone picking her up so close to the wall for fear she might fall over. I'm too afraid to do a catamaran excursion with her because anything could happen. Do they have life vests for toddlers? I plan to take her to the beach but she's only allowed in the shallowest parts because I'm afraid she could get swept in. One thing is for certain, she will not be out of my sight for a second. Am I crazy or is this normal stuff every parent considers/worries about? Any advice for an extremely nervous mommy? I'm not so concerned with any possible issues with the ship, if anything happens with that I'll deal with it when the time comes but this is different. The whole point of the cruise was to relax and have a great time with her but now I'm afraid I'll be too busy worrying about everything. :(

I think its natural to feel this way. You will not be in control so rather than worrying now try and worry as you go to keep yourself less tense. Think ... reactive rather than preventive. Remember too that she can pick cues so deep breaths.

I think your feelings are very wise and normal. Good for you! One thing to add: I remember a posting about a group of cruisers watching a little toddler on a balcony. The parents were no where to be found and the people could see her strategizing on how to get up higher. She dragged the table over to edge of the balcony and was standing on it and the people in the group called security. The reports were that she could have easily boosted herself over. The people reported that a few minutes passed and that the parents came out, swooped her back in and that was that.

Moral of the story: lock that balcony door if you aren't right there with your child. I think most balconies are not a danger if you are right there every moment (and sober).

I remember being there where you are 11 years ago - I swore my toddler was going to break free from our grasp and swan dive from the top deck. I was so paranoid that we never did take her up to the VERY top deck on that cruise ;)

Over a dozen cruises later and our 2nd daughter who also started cruising as an infant and who HAS had TWO medical emergencies onboard has taught me some very important lessons - when emergencies happen at sea - you can handle them and remain calm.

It does not help your child to break down and be hysterical. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Reminds me of our first trip to Italy with our DD then 3YO. We were in a train station in Milano - no elavator. DH was wrangling suitcases so we got him on the escalator. I had one suitcase, a carryon and DDs hand and had just coaxed her on the escalator, stepped on, when she paniced and darted back off. I started back but was encumbered by luggage and I'm certain I looked like a bad clown trying to fight my way back up the down escalator. DH abandoned the luggage at the bottom, and was running up the up escalator when A very kind, very old Italian gentleman bent down, took DDs hand, did a 123 ( in Italian), and helped her all the way udown. He spoke no English ( and my Italian is exeedingly limited) so I thanked him best as I could, as I also thanked the lady who had stuck around to watch our luggage. A minor situation that underscores that most people are good, that demonstrated that as parents we WERE able to deal with a difficult situation, and really just one of those stories that our family churns up occassionally that brings a smile (remember the time . . .?)

So even the little things that will go wrong will not necessarily be "bad". Plan a bit, worry a little, but most of all relax - it helps! If you are too tense your DD will pick up on it and she'll worry too.

Thank you for sharing I can picture it happening and the important thing is that although stressful at the time it is a remember the time .... moment that you will talk and laugh about for years.

As many have said it is more alot more dangerous to go out in the car that to go on a cruise ship. Normal rules apply as if you were on a land base vacation - you would never let them wander off by themselves and as a "normal" parent you naturally scan for any dangers in the area etc.

I am looking forward to going on a 4 night cruise with my neice and nephew who will be 3&4 yrs old and can't wait to explore the ship with them. My sister is worried they will fall off the ship but I am trying my best to reassure her & her husband :D

As mentioned enjoy it while you can I am now going through the stress of have a 15yr old son who will not stay with me and hold my hand :eek::eek::eek: and we all know what stupid things teenagers can do! Even though he is what I class as a sensible teenager it doesn't stop you worrying :cool:

Awe!! I believe it's normal to worry. We are sailing next weekend, my son just turned 2 & my daughter is 3.5. I have no anxiety about my daughter, my son is a wild, wild child though & I have huge anxiety about him falling overboard. To the point that I couldn't fall asleep last night lol. I don't even know if I'll let my husband take him on deck without me. Don't get me wrong, he's a great dad but I'm the mom, I pay closer attention, he's a little more laid back ;)

In regards to the life vests... We were provided with a life vest for my son when we took him on a cruise when he was two.

muster2q.jpg

Additionally, a nice thing to have at the beach with toddlers is baby powder. Toddlers learn really early that sand doesn't taste good. Baby powder quickly dries up their hands and makes the sand fall right off.

Whenever we took our kids to their grandparents' beach house and on cruises, we used baby powder to get the sand off their bodies. Doesn't wash funky things off, you'll need Purell or water for that. The baby powder keeps the skin dry so that the sand has nothing to cling to.

I've been reviewing old pictures of our trips when the kids were little... Seems like we didn't do too many active water activities. I see Ardastra Gardens in the Bahamas with the flamingos. I see the Ostrich Farm in Curacao. Glass bottom boat in Bahamas. Butterfly Farm in Grand Cayman and St Maarten. Horse and buggy ride in Puerto Rico. Mountaintop, Coki Beach, and Coral World in St Thomas.

Looks like my youngest was around 3 when we did the Dolphin Encounter in Cozumel.

scanned15.jpg

That was the same year we went to Boatswain's Beach (aka. Cayman Turtle Farm) where they have an artificial cove (with showers) filled with fishes as well as a pool.

img0117klz.jpg

I guess we got more daring with the 3rd kid...

:o

[/size][/size][/size]

totally normal to be anxious and worried. You are a mom and it becomes part of your DNA the moment of conception. I almost cancelled our cruise, but figured the show must go on. I have twin boys who are 3 and they are wild, and we have a balcony, so I'll be watching them like a hawk

We always travel with a life vest for our daughter as we do take her on lots of excursions. We buy them at Target. I would suggest one that zips in the front and make sure the inside says Coast Guard Approved. It gets a little easier each time you cruise. We also bring a new gift for our DD for each night in the dining room. I pack a small folder with paper, small notebook, stickers, small toys, maybe 3 crayons. nothing too bulky. I bring it to the dining room each night and sit on it. This way when she gets bored I pull out a surprise. Works great. I used to worry about DD on balconies too. The child has to climb very high to get over them so rest assured you will be fine. The doors are very heavy too. We always keep our balcony door locked and only allow her out when we are there with her. We try to pack as light as possible.

Enjoy!

Wow! I hadn't noticed all of the replies because this board got a little slow for awhile. But thank you all for your helpful and reassuring replies. I'm actually very comfortable now with the idea due to a lot of reading and asking questions here and planning. We'll be staying in an aft wrap cabin and from the pictures I saw most if not all of the wall of the balcony is slanted inwards so we should be good there. I still need to get her some swim shoes but I did manage to get the very last infant/small swimvest at Target (up to 30 lbs). It's bulky though and has a huge flap on the back to protect her head and keep it above water. It's here:

http://www.target.com/p/speedo-grls-infant-neop-l-jacket/-/A-14394574#prodSlot=medium_1_45&term=swim+vest

Also, thank you so much to the poster who suggested bringing baby powder. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I took her to the beach last year when she was about 11 months and of course she tried eating the sand but she had sand EVERYWHERE and in between her little rolls. LOL It took a very long time to get most of the sand off. Now I'll know better this time. I have an umbrella stroller already, I have boxes of diapers already so we're good there, and beach toys. Thanks again everyone and please keep the tips coming. I'm taking notes!

Also, thank you so much to the poster who suggested bringing baby powder. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I took her to the beach last year when she was about 11 months and of course she tried eating the sand but she had sand EVERYWHERE and in between her little rolls. LOL It took a very long time to get most of the sand off. Now I'll know better this time. I have an umbrella stroller already, I have boxes of diapers already so we're good there, and beach toys. Thanks again everyone and please keep the tips coming. I'm taking notes!

Just make sure to reapply sunscreen after baby powdering.

Also, thank you so much to the poster who suggested bringing baby powder. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! .... Thanks again everyone and please keep the tips coming. I'm taking notes!

Yes, thank you for the baby powder suggestion. I do not cruise with my DD until January, but I have already been collecting suggestions and lists along the way! lol Here is an extensive packing list that I have compiled from many sources. (I will eventually create a shorter list for my specific trip...as everything does not apply lol)

Travel Documents, Wallet Items, Paperwork Airline tickets or e-tickets Child's passport, visa and other proof of citizenship (birth certificate) Adult Passport or ID with birth certificate Notarized statements from spouse/ex-spouse if cruising with kids under 18 Notarized forms if cruising with kids under 18 who aren't your own Cruise documents Cruise Luggage Tags Pediatrician's name and phone numbers (daytime and emergency) Current pictures of your children (just in case) Address book with names and addresses of child's friends for postcards Cash for tips and island purchases (Plenty of 1s and 5s) Health insurance cardMedicines & Sundries Child's prescription drugs or other important medication (in carry-on bag) Benadryl Antibiotic cream Anti-itch cream Children's anti-diarrhea medication Band-aids Children's Tylenol, Advil, Aleve and/or aspirin Adult Tylenol, Cold Medicine, Airbourne, etc Powdered Pedialyte Baby/Children's Sunscreen Sunblock for lips Sunburn gel After sun moisturizer Diaper rash ointment Anti-bacterial hand cleaner for diaper bag Children's insect repellant Stain remover stick and Woolite for clean-ups Ear Planes for plane trips Baby shampoo Infant/ child's thermometer Drops/antibiotics for eye/ear infections Deodorant Toothbrush, toothpaste and dental floss Brush/comb Hair barrettes, scrunchies or hair bands Adult shampoo Make-up Feminine items Curling Iron Q Tips Facial Moisturizer Nail polish and remover Nail clippers Razor and shave gel

Baby/Toddler Items Diapers and swim diapers Disposable changing pads Baby wipes (one box and several travel size packs) Pacifiers (several) Ziplock bags (many for diapers and other messes) Sippy cups and plastic bottles (keep one in carry-on) Dishwashing detergent (trial size) for washing sippy cups Baby formula Port a crib if needed Booster chair or booster seat aid Umbrella stroller or baby backpack (check to see if strollers can be rented) Bibs (Regular) Bibs (Disposable for Port days) Diaper bag Sun hat Blankie and/or favorite stuffed animal Swim aids or swim vest Extra changes of clothesIndividual Serving Meals/Snacks for Port days (some Ports will confiscate any food items that are not factory sealed)Juice boxes (10-pack of kids' juice boxes for Port days)Disposable or silicone placements (i.e. Table Toppers)Child's fork and spoon (First Years has disposable toddler forks and spoons in packs of 12 for $3 or so)Hand sanitizing gel (Travel-size bottle to keep in diaper bag. Great for diaper changes on the islands when washing your hands afterwards is not always an option.) Lysol WipesNursery monitor (If you have a balcony or friends/family in a cabin next door, consider taking a nursery monitor for naptime.)Umbrella stroller (An umbrella stroller is ideal for the smaller spaces on the ship and on the island) Baby Powder (Toddlers learn really early that sand doesn't taste good. Baby powder quickly dries up their hands and makes the sand fall right off.)

Additional Items for School-Age & Teen Children Kids' electronic equipment and batteries 2-way radios (2-5 mile radius)for staying in touch Children's books and magazines Glasses (bring extras) or contact lenses Contact lens cleaner Sunglasses Favorite stuffed animals, toys and travel games Travel backpack filled with activity books, games, and other items Portable DVD player, extra batteries and movies Portable gaming system iPod, MP3 player or CD player Disposible camera Travel journal Extra changes of clothes

Gear, Electronics, etc Ziplock bags (both quart and gallon) Rain gear Snorkeling gear Extension cord / Power strip Kid’s/teens jewelry and makeup (as needed) Dry erase board to post on your stateroom door Small flashlight or nightlight Blue painters tape (ie: taping over electrical outlets, tv buttons, taping up the days artwork. ) Beach bag Cell phone charger Binoculars Disposable underwater camera Digital camera Extra memory cards Batteries or charger for digital camera Headphones iPod, MP3 player, CD player, or DVD player Cell phones Video CameraKids' Cruise Clothing (often 2 formal nights and more casual/informal nights) 6-7 t-shirts 6-7 pairs of shorts Bathing suits Cover-up Outfits for casual/informal night dinners 2 outfits for formal nights Long pants, jeans or leggings (especially for Alaska cruises) Long sleeved shirts (depending upon season and itinerary) Underwear (1 set per day plus at least an extra set) Socks (1 set per day plus at least an extra set) Pajamas Sandals/flip-flops/beach shoes Sneakers Sweatshirt (or several if going to Alaska) Water shoes Dress shoes Light jacket Rain jacket or poncho Fleece (if going to Alaska) Belts Hat, baseball cap or visor Gloves (if going to Alaska)Adults' Cruise Clothing (often 2 formal nights and more casual/informal nights) 6-7 t-shirts 6-7 pairs of shorts Bathing suits Cover-up Outfits for casual/informal night dinners 2 outfits for formal nights Long pants, jeans or leggings (especially for Alaska cruises) Long sleeved shirts (depending upon season and itinerary) Underwear (1 set per day plus at least an extra set) Socks (1 set per day plus at least an extra set) Pajamas Sandals/flip-flops/beach shoes Sneakers Sweatshirt (or several if going to Alaska) Water shoes Dress shoes Light jacket Rain jacket or poncho Fleece (if going to Alaska) Belts Hat, baseball cap or visor Gloves (if going to Alaska)Sunglasses Reading material Glasses, contacts, contact cleanerOther To Do's Hold mail Stop newspaper Have any necessary Power of Attorney (POA) priveledges in place

Archived