Boston Harbor questions

Hi all! We are booked on the Jewel October 2. It appears Logan and the cruise terminal are very close. Is that true? Should we purchase transfer or just get a cab? Also suggestions for a nice hotel convenient to Logan (early AM flight the next day), and one good resturant and can't miss club or activity for a one night post cruise stay. Thanks all of you beantowners for your help, and hope your cruises are smooth and memorable, Nancy This will be our first cruise on RCI, and out of Boston, although I have been to Boston a number of times, and love it.

I suggest to get a cab, probably about $20 to $30 for 2.

As far as a hotel, I would Priceline making sure it is downtown Financial District.

Restaurant. Anthonys Pier 4, maybe not the best restaurant, but the most famous and the view of the harbor is outstanding, ask for a waterview table.

Nightlife, go to Fanuil Hall area, great place to people watch and many nightclubs and nightlife. Another option maybe the Spirt of Boston Party Ship, it sails around the harbor with a pretty good buffet and dancing.

There are hotels at the airport, but there is one outside, a Holiday Inn in East Boston, just 1 mile north of the airport. There is a restaurant in the hotel, and I understand the bar gets quite crowded. The cab fare to the port will be about about $15 as they have to go thru the Ted Williams tunnel and that is a toll, however it is only about 2-3 miles from the hotel if that. The hotels at the airport are both new and wonderful and expensive, but priceline may help.

Have fun, we are on the Sept 12 sailing of that cruise, and love the idea of sailing out of Boston as we live so close. Can't wait

Definitely get a cab. As for nightlife, etc., I would head over to Quincy Market/Fanueil Hall. There are tons of restaurants, bars, clubs, shopping, etc. You can walk to the North End or to the harbor--stop by Tia's at the MArriot Long Wharf. Have fun!

Thanks all! We will go for the cab, and I will look for a hotel deal on priceline, and the holiday inn also. We live near Norfolk, Virginia. If I can ever offer assistance if you are cruising out of here, just ask. Currently only Seabourne, Carnival Triumph (not for us), and HAL Maasdam cruise out of Norfolk. We think this Jewel cruise looks great, both for the ship, itinerary, and really convenient, cheap, nonstop flights from our hometown airport to Logan. We are counting the weeks. Thanks for your kind help. Nancy

There are hotels at the airport' date=' but there is one outside, a Holiday Inn in East Boston, just 1 mile north of the airport. [/quote']

Same Holiday Inn.........or is this a different hotel, if so what are you opinions of this place?

Holiday Inn Express Boston

Boston, MA

This hotel is suppose to have shuttle service to and from Logan and also to the port in Boston where Jewel is docked at(Black Falcon Terminal)

anyone know how it is?

Jimbo:)

Same Holiday Inn.........or is this a different hotel, if so what are you opinions of this place?

Holiday Inn Express Boston

Boston, MA

This hotel is suppose to have shuttle service to and from Logan and also to the port in Boston where Jewel is docked at(Black Falcon Terminal)

anyone know how it is?

Not sure which one is the Holiday Inn Express. But I know it is not right at the airport. Honestly, we stay at the Hilton at the airport before every trip (we usually book early am flights). It's right at the airport, the shuttle runs from like 3 am to 1 am and if you need it in between, they will get it, takes maybe 10 mins to get to the terminal as the shuttle stops at various terminals.

If you go directly to their website, put in the date you want, the room options will come up. Choose a room option and you will then get a listing of prices. If you book the Web rate, which is nonrefundable, I've gotten it as low as $100 a night. The beds are very comfy too! The hotel is very quiet, you won't hear jets all night.

Definitely recommend going to Fanueil Hall too, there are tons of dining options, great little shops, fun bars, and lots of great people watching. It's a short cab ride from the HIlton.

Have fun!

PS - Make sure you double check the actual location of other hotels. A lot of them say "Boston", but they are actually on the outskirts in such towns as Revere, Saugus, Somerville, which is not where you want to stay. Many of these do offer the free shuttle service, but you can be anywhere from a 15 min drive to a 2 hour drive depending on our famous Boston traffic!

Love the North End. Boston's own "little Italy". Summer time has lots of festivals. You can easily walk over to Faneuil Hall from there. I love Newbury Street. World class shopping and great sidewalk cafes. Don't miss the Swan Boats at the Public Gardens. Great old Boston tradition. You can actually do it all without a problem. Boston is a small city. If you want to see it all in a short time period, do a Boston Duck Tour. These amphibious vehicles point out historical sites along the Freedom Trail and give a great primer to the city. Enjoy!

We are driving up from NJ the day before cruise, not overly concerned about touring Boston, just wanted a safe place to sleep the night before and a place to park the car for the 10 days while we are on this cruise.

Found the hotel that allows up to 21 days of free parking plus a 1 nights hotel stay for $189.00 Sounded reasonable, just wish someone from these boards had stayed there before to tell me if this deal is okay? Shuttle service is included also, from airport, if you fly in and even shuttle service to and from the ship back to hotel or airport.

http://www.parksleepfly.com/cruiseport_hotels/hotel_display.php?hotel_type=cruiseport&cruiseportID=3&hotelID=163&make_reservation=

If you wanna explore Boston a bit, I would highly recommend the Marriot in Copley Square - it's conntected to the Prudental Center, so there's plenty to do!

If you can handle your baggage OK, I would just take the T if possible.

As far as restaurants, I'd recommend one of three seafood places:

No Name restaurant - Down past the Pier 4 restaurant (which is very overrated!!!) on the waterfront. Very casual atmosphere.

Legal Seafood - More upscale, prices are higher but very good seafood. Have a delicious bluefish pate appetizer. Excellent fish chowder. There are a few locations including one in Prudential Center area.

Turner's Fisheries - The absolute best clam chowder IMHO. Located in the Westin hotel in Back Bay (same Copley Place complex as the Marriot hotel).

We are driving up from NJ the day before cruise, not overly concerned about touring Boston, just wanted a safe place to sleep the night before and a place to park the car for the 10 days while we are on this cruise.

Found the hotel that allows up to 21 days of free parking plus a 1 nights hotel stay for $189.00 Sounded reasonable, just wish someone from these boards had stayed there before to tell me if this deal is okay? Shuttle service is included also, from airport, if you fly in and even shuttle service to and from the ship back to hotel or airport.

http://www.parksleepfly.com/cruiseport_hotels/hotel_display.php?hotel_type=cruiseport&cruiseportID=3&hotelID=163&make_reservation=

I don't know the hotel but know the area. Let's just say I won't go shopping at South Bay after dark.

I agree with boatbunny! The Hilton is the way to go IMHO. You don't even have to go outside as there is a walkway over the road to the terminal and you can walk directly into the terminal. It is really pretty slick!

Diane

This was a couple of years ago. We actually had transfers, but weren't going to use them. We returned to Boston after a Transatlantic on the Grandeur. We had plans to see Steve's family in Boston before a late flight home. The stars were misaligned or something that day, because there were three ships returning at the same time (highly unusual) and we could not get a cab. The terminal (at the time, don't know if it has been changed) is configured in such a way that it was nearly impossible to get a taxi. I think it was a really unusual morning for them. The cabs only stopped at the first place (say, HAL) and went right by NCL and RCI. It was a bad setup. We didn't get to see Steve's family and had to go to the airport on a RCI chartered transfer, which was also a bad situation in a totally different way...but that's another story for another day!

Oh well, live and learn. We would opt for transfers upon debarkation IF there were other ships in port.

Remember, this was nearly two years ago. There were storms up and down the east coast and North Atlantic and ships had been diverted up to Boston. I think it was a freak thing.

Judy

I'd have to agree with Soxfan05, I don't think I'd recommend the area either, I'd stay in downtown Boston or near the airport. (I live about 15 miles north of Boston).

Jimbo, the Holiday Inn I referenced is not the HI Express. That one is further away, off 93. The one I mentioned is right outside the airport on McClellan Highway, which is RT 1A, the road into the airport and Summner Tunnel.

I do not know about the HI Express, but if you can park there and stay and they have shuttle service for $189, go for it. I have stayed at HI Expresses before and they were small motels, quick in and out, no problems.

If you do happen to be near Copley Square as another poster suggested, my Favorite seafood restaurant is Skipjack's on the corner of St. James and Clarendon. Try the swordfish,Skipjack style. YUM! They make a great Cosmo as well. Have a wonderful time on your cruise and in Boston. It's a great city.

I recommend staying at the Long Wharf Marriott. It is right on the waterfront across the street from Fanueil Hall Quincy Marketplace. There are lots of harbor cruises and the Aquarium next to the Hotel. Best of all is the view sitting on the upper deck overlooking Boston Harbor. There is an airport ferry at the Boston Harbor HOtel--just a couple blocks from the Long Wharf Marriott Hotel. There is also a subway stop at the Long Wharf Marriott Hotel that goes to the airport.

There are tons of Italian restaurants within a short walk of the hotel in the Northend historical (Old North Church-Paul Revere House) area near your hotel. You can even sit in Christopher Columbus Park adjacent to the hotel and watch the water traffic--Rose Kennedy Gardens is in the Park as well.

Famous Fanueil Hall Quincy Marketplace is across the street from the Long Wharf Marriott -- where there are lots of restaurants and lots of outdoor entertainment.

For food, stay away from Anthony's Pier 4. The price is still high and the food quality is horrible. I've heard so many bad reviews in the last year, I wouldn't waste my time.

Jimmy's Harborside has a nice view and good food, so does the Chart House. Personally, I'd go to the North End. It's a great area with tons of fabulous food. Fanuel Hall is also fun to walk around and shop, plus there are so many historic places to see.

I have a friend who captains the Tall Ship Formidable that leaves out of Rose Wharf. On Saturdays they do battle reinactments. Very fun, not expensive at all.

Sorry I have no experience with hotels in the city, I live too close. ;)

We took a Can/NE cruise last year on Jewel. We took a cab from Logan to the Black Falcon cruise ship terminal. The cost was $20 including tip, that includes like that $7 or whatever the charge is just for the cab to get out of the airport and the toll charges they need to pay. The trip is probably less than a 10 minute drive.

I recommend staying at the Long Wharf Marriott. It is right on the waterfront across the street from Fanueil Hall Quincy Marketplace. There are lots of harbor cruises and the Aquarium next to the Hotel. Best of all is the view sitting on the upper deck overlooking Boston Harbor. There is an airport ferry at the Boston Harbor HOtel--just a couple blocks from the Long Wharf Marriott Hotel. There is also a subway stop at the Long Wharf Marriott Hotel that goes to the airport.

There are tons of Italian restaurants within a short walk of the hotel in the Northend historical (Old North Church-Paul Revere House) area near your hotel. You can even sit in Christopher Columbus Park adjacent to the hotel and watch the water traffic--Rose Kennedy Gardens is in the Park as well.

Famous Fanueil Hall Quincy Marketplace is across the street from the Long Wharf Marriott -- where there are lots of restaurants and lots of outdoor entertainment.

Don't forget Legal Seafood right across the street.....

Check with the Hilton, I am pretty sure they have a good parking rate as well if you stay there.

Also, the Holiday Inn Express you are looking at is not in Boston "proper". It is in a suburb, on their website they say it is a 15 min drive into the airport. BEWARE!! We have HORRIBLE traffic in Boston, the Big Dig (maybe you've heard of our multi million (or has it reached billion???) dollar project that is still not finished, yet already can't handle the increased traffic since it was first designed!) is not finished. Depending on what time of the day you are trying to get anywhere, this 15 min drive can take as long as a couple of hours, NO JOKE>

I was working in downtown Boston up until 2 months ago, I live in NH, but grew up about 30 min from Boston in Andover. There were days where my commute from Andover to Medford (just outside of Boston) took over 2 hours.

It is worth paying a little more to stay in Boston proper and not have to deal with that traffic headache.

The other mentions, Marriott Long Wharf, is also a very beautiful hotel, located closer to tourist areas rather than the airport, but convenient for the suggestions we've given you for visiting the city.

Just would hate for your limited time visit to Boston to be marred by sitting in traffic waiting to get to your destination.

Archived