Boston Harbor questions

We are sailing Enchantment out of Boston on September 11. Not wanting to be flying on "9/11", we booked rooms at the Harborside Inn on State Street, right across from the Aquarium and a block from the Marketplace. This is a small 54 room hotel converted from a historic commercial building. Rooms were reasonable (for Boston), ranging from $170 to $225 plus tax. Rated 3 stars. You can locate their website on Google. The hotel is 3 miles from the airport and 1.5 miles from the terminal. Anybody have experience with Harborside Inn?

Can anyone suggest a great casual seafood (NOT lobster) restaurant near downtown Boston?

Lightsluvr

(Oklahoma)

Lightsluvr, most of the restaurants listed in the various replies here are seafood places that serve all kinds. As I said earlier, the Daily Catch on Hanover St is one, and as I recall (haven't lived in Boston since 1989), you can walk there from your hotel. They are an Italian seafood place. Looks like a total dive from the outside, and it's very small, but the food is amazing.

Because we are sailing to Bar Harbor and Portland Maine - plan to do the authentic lobster rolls there - plus lobster is on the cruise menu!

:-)

Lightsluvr

Florida lobster is on the cruise menu. I haven't found Maine-style lobster on any cruise I've been on. Big difference to me - but maybe only because I grew up in New England.

Max is correct, they do not serve New England lobster on the ships, it is always warm water lobster which is quite different.

Just to keep the facts straight, a lobster roll in Boston is authentic, we actually get the lobsters here as we are also on the ocean........

I have lobster every week during the summer, can't help myself.

I wonder if "Joseph's Restaurant" is still across from Christopher Columbus Park, which is adjacent to the Long Wharf Marriott (my favorite Boston Harbor Hotel). Joseph's always had great Lobster Dinners and great Prices. I remember when Joseph's was originally across from the Aquarium. I think it was called "Joseph's Aquarium" at that time. Anyways, we sold our condo in that part of Boston in 1993 and haven't eaten there since then.

After you have a lobsta and some seafood chowda, walk to the Northend and try the Italian food. Before or after you eat, walk the Freedom Trail (bricks in the sidewalk) to Paul Revere's House and the Old North Church for some exercise.

If you don't feel like walking, try a harbor cruise to cool off in the summer.

Think I will make some dinner plans of my own soon.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

I would also like to know if anyone can give a review of, or share their expeirence or have any knowledge of the Harbourside Inn on State street? Is this small hotel close to the pier? Is it close to the restuarants and other sights? Is the Harborside Inn on state street within walking distance or any attractions? Is this a really small hotel? Does anyone know how long it will take by taxi to get to the pier in the A.M. Also Will the taxi encounter any parts of the Big Dig leaving the hotel to the pier? Never been to Boston and not really sure as to where exactly this hotel is in regfardsd to the pier and the Big dig.

Because we are sailing to Bar Harbor and Portland Maine - plan to do the authentic lobster rolls there - plus lobster is on the cruise menu!

:-)

Lightsluvr

This has nothing to do with seafood in Boston, but if you are going to Portland, Maine, and you take a tour that goes down to Kennebunkport, there is a place there, right where the buses park, called "The Crab Shack" (ironically enough). They have the best lobster roll I've ever had. It was a recommendation from a local. They give you huge chunks of lobster meat....

We are sailing Enchantment out of Boston on September 11. Not wanting to be flying on "9/11", we booked rooms at the Harborside Inn on State Street, right across from the Aquarium and a block from the Marketplace. This is a small 54 room hotel converted from a historic commercial building. Rooms were reasonable (for Boston), ranging from $170 to $225 plus tax. Rated 3 stars. You can locate their website on Google. The hotel is 3 miles from the airport and 1.5 miles from the terminal. Anybody have experience with Harborside Inn?

Can anyone suggest a great casual seafood (NOT lobster) restaurant near downtown Boston?

Lightsluvr

(Oklahoma)

No NE seafood restaurant will NOT have lobster--but, all seafood restaurants will have a great variety of seafood. I would highly recommend Legal Seafood, Jimmy's Harborside, or the No Name.

I would also like to know if anyone can give a review of, or share their expeirence or have any knowledge of the Harbourside Inn on State street? Is this small hotel close to the pier? Is it close to the restuarants and other sights? Is the Harborside Inn on state street within walking distance or any attractions? Is this a really small hotel? Does anyone know how long it will take by taxi to get to the pier in the A.M. Also Will the taxi encounter any parts of the Big Dig leaving the hotel to the pier? Never been to Boston and not really sure as to where exactly this hotel is in regfardsd to the pier and the Big dig.

The Big Dig is everywhere! However, as it is winding down, you shouldn't encounter any major delyas. As for the hotel, I have never heard of it. Check Tripadvisor.

Hi all! We are booked on the Jewel October 2. It appears Logan and the cruise terminal are very close. Is that true? Should we purchase transfer or just get a cab? Also suggestions for a nice hotel convenient to Logan (early AM flight the next day), and one good resturant and can't miss club or activity for a one night post cruise stay. Thanks all of you beantowners for your help, and hope your cruises are smooth and memorable, Nancy This will be our first cruise on RCI, and out of Boston, although I have been to Boston a number of times, and love it.

We were on the Jewel (beauiful ship!) last October for the last Canada/ New England cruise of the season. I was going to use Park/Sleep/Fly, but found that going to the hotel site directly got us better prices and no fee. We flew in and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Boston. They picked us up at the airport, two days later dropped us at Black Falcon Terminal for the cruise and then ten days later picked us up at the terminal and dropped us off at the airport. We stayed two nights. We were close enough to walk to the "train", which took us to Fanueil Hall and took the "trolly" tour the next day which really gives you a great perspective of Boston. We did all the "tourist" things and had a great first visit to Boston. We ate at Cheers and an Italian restaurant in the Marketplace for our two dinners. We did a lot of walking, but we were going to spend the next ten days on the ship, so we got our exercise in early.

I believe we paid $129 & $138 for the two nights (one was a weekend night). They were really friendly and accomodating and they had freshly baked cookies every night. We thought that this was a real bargain and wouldn't hesitate staying there again.

Some may have misunderstood, we really don't plan on touring Boston, if we do go into to town for dinner we plan to use the hotel's shuttle service or a taxi.

The main reason for using that hotel is it is close to the Black Falcon Terminal and the hotel offers free shuttle service to and from the ship.....another Big Plus is that I can leave my car there for the whole time while we are on our cruise.....10 days..10 days at Black Falcon Terminal would cost $12.00 per day, that's $120 just for parking additional if we go to a better hotel in town that doesn't offer free parking during our cruise.

Also we do not need to go to the airport, so that doesn't concern us. I believe the hotels down town and near the airport are alot more then we want to spend for just one night. Just a comfortable, clean place to sleep so we are well rested for our cruise the next day.

With the hotel we picked thus far we never have to move our car except to get there and when we leave Boston......From everything i have read Boston isn't a good town to drive around in so we won't be.

Our there any other hotels in Boston that would offer free parking during a 10 day cruise that include a night at their hotel also pre-cruise?

WE are paying $189.00 for one nights stay at the hotel and free shuttle sevice to and from the ship for our 10 day cruise. Seems like a great price considering if we didn't find a Sleep/Park and Cruise hotel we would be paying $120.00 just for parking at Black Falcon Terminal.

Jimbo:)

we have stayed at the marriot on long wharf wonderful place close to quincy market fanuiel hall great restuarants at fanueil hall black rose irish theme great food reasonable entertainment nightly loved it hotel has wonderful staff close to the boston nightlife north end great italian foods anywhere there can do the freedom trail walk very good do at your own pace see the uss constition very well prserved ship from the 1770's had a great time aquarium close by walking distance rose wharf same distance has sunset cruises with bands and refreshments also some great whale watches from rose wharf or the aquaruim the mbta can get you anywhere in boston hotel close to the common has swan boat rides and duck boat tours we loved the duck boats in and out of the charles river the science center is worth a peek has a good planetaruim bunker hill monument is nearby some good shopping we liked all the sidewalk carts for food and trinketys filenes bargain basement is a trip never seen anything like near us at home have fun and be open minded ask the hotel staff for ideas they have some great tips enjoy !!!

It's got to be the HYATT. Great views. The hotel is right on the water next to the airport. There is a shuttle bus to the airport from the hotel. You can also take a water taxi from the hotel to the city in a few minutes. Too bad they don't run water taxis to the cruiseship. For now, the water taxi from the Airport Hyatt docks across from Fanueil Hall area--where you can walk to everything. The subway in the city is safe too. The "Green Line" will take you all over town. Just ask at the token booth for directions to wherever you want to go. I could spend a whole weekend in the Fanueil Hall area and walking around the Northend Historical area (Italian Restaurants, Paul Revere House, Old NOrth Church). The bricks in the sidewalk in Boston are the Freedom Trail walking tour to the historical buildings. There are info booklets at Fanueil Hall area.

Our there any other hotels in Boston that would offer free parking during a 10 day cruise that include a night at their hotel also pre-cruise?

I don't know any. This is a very good deal. Parking is at a premium in Boston - some garages will charge you upwards of $30/day!!! I've stayed at a few hotels there over the years (used to live in Mass) and haven't heard of one that offered any special deals on parking like you describe. I'd go for it.

Based on the pictures and descriptions on the website, I'd be prepared for rooms that are smaller than a "normal" hotel. Looks to me like they kept the "quaintness" of the original building. You're only there for one night so shouldn't be a problem. You'll be right next to Fanueil Hall which has several restaurants and bars. I'm not a big fan of any of them but I have heard people talk about Todd English's Kingfish Hall.

And you are correct - Boston is not a city where you want to drive. Lots of one-way streets which will confuse the unfamiliar. Also the Big Dig is still rearing it's ugly head. Subways work very well. If you choose to go to either Jimmy's or No Name (both excellent seafood), you'll want to take a cab. No subway there (although there is the Silver Line which is a bus).

Just got back from Boston. Stayed at the Airport Hilton and it was very nice. However if price is not an object, the Marriot at the Warf is definately my vote for what you are looking for. Tia's definately was jumping last Friday night when we walked down to the water front after dinner at Quincy Market. You can even walk to Hanover Street from there or hop a cab. It cost us about $15 to take the cab from the Hilton to Hanover St. for dinner. Also, to park at the Hilton I believe was about $30/day. The staff at the Hilton was very good. They have a good pub as well as restaurant. Good luck with your decision....

Archived