How Are Docking Assignments Made?

sail7seas

You're talking about the infamous Motet Wharf, basically designed as a dock for the adjacent Curacao Oil terminal, around the corner from the big Queen Juliana Bridge. The Motet Wharf is without a doubt the ugliest, least desired brth in Willemstad, Curacao. However, when there is a cruise ship at the Mega Pier, and two others back-to-back at the much nicer Mathey Wharf (by the little ferry dock), someone's gotta go to Motet. We were there on Maasdam three out of our four calls at Willemstad. It smells (like an oil facility does), it's a pretty good trek to town, there's absolutely nothing there, just not anice location but it is used!

Interesting, I did not know about another location. When we have been there it has been us at Mathey Wharf and big ships at the Mega Pier.

A couple of years ago while waiting to enter Venice on the Westerdam, the captain commented that we had to wait because the port was giving preference to Italian flagged ships.
When we did an overnight in Venice on the N.A. we moved to a different location around 3:00 am because an Italian ship coming in wanted our spot! It turned out to be great for us because the new mooring was only about 1 kilometer from St Mark's square.

When we docked in Curacao last year, we were as far away from the entrance to the port as a ship could be.I wondered if that was a way for Hal to save money.

On the other hand, this year on the Ryndam, we were the only ship at the swinging bridge in Curacao and docked right off the Bridge. Mid afternoon, a Princess ship docked at the mega pier.

On the other hand, this year on the Ryndam, we were the only ship at the swinging bridge in Curacao and docked right off the Bridge. Mid afternoon, a Princess ship docked at the mega pier.

We docked at the swinging bridge on the Zuiderdam last April. It was a great location, easy to find your tour bus, and easy walk to everything.

We've docked at the swinging bridge most of our stops in Curacao and it was okay but we much preferred the times we have docked at Mega Pier. I really like docking at Rif Fort. :)

At the swing bridge, I wish they would open the gate at the end of the docking area rather than make us walk all the way down just to have to walk back in order to get to the gangway after clearing shoreside security.

It is definately a combination of the factors above, the Port Authorities (Harbour Master, Senior Pilots, VTS etc) in well run ports have regular meetings to decide the locations of the ships, and they have to take into account the requirements and characteristics of the ships, the berths available and cost/loyalty does come into play at times. You normally get informed of the berth assignment a few days before via the ships agent. Occasionally you get given completely awful berths.

As for which side alongside, this is a decision by the Captain based on operational requirements. If you arrive late, then you often go onto the fastest way possible and perform the more complex manouver on departure. If you need to make a quick departure as soon as the pax are onboard, you perform the more complex of manouevres on arrival, so you have a straight out departure etc.

startwin's comment about your blog made me go and check it out:) Thank You startwin:)

I have a slightly off topic question for you sir, if I may?

How did you like the Corinth Canal?? I was scared to death due to the high enclosing walls (1986)!!! Did not realize just how claustrophobic a canal could be... I Loved it at the same time because how many other people can say they've sailed through it:)

Joanie

A very interesting topic and one I have often wondered about. Is there a web site where you can check your ship will dock?

We were the only ship in Curacao and were at the Mega pier last year, humm, wonder why.

I am wondering about St. Thomas this year, I like Havensight for the additional shopping.

A very interesting topic and one I have often wondered about. Is there a web site where you can check your ship will dock?

We were the only ship in Curacao and were at the Mega pier last year, humm, wonder why.

I am wondering about St. Thomas this year, I like Havensight for the additional shopping.

To get docking information, I have googled the Port Authority websites for the various ports on our itineraries. Many ports will have a list of which ships will be in port with you (useful to know in some of the bigger ports) and some even have pier assignments listed.

I do that research before most of our cruises.

Seeing you were the only ship in Curacao, they had you dock at what many of us consider the best dock. I'd have been surprised to read you were the only ship and did Not dock there.

As to St. Thomas, almost all (there are exceptions) Princess and HAL ships dock at Crown Bay. They signed a long term contract and are only into maybe year 4 or 5 of at least a 10 year contract to dock at Crown Bay vs. Havensight. However, Lorekauf posted just today that she was on Noordam several weeks ago and docked at Havensight. Don't count on that.

Seeing you were the only ship in Curacao, they had you dock at what many of us consider the best dock. I'd have been surprised to read you were the only ship and did Not dock there.

As to St. Thomas, almost all (there are exceptions) Princess and HAL ships dock at Crown Bay. They signed a long term contract and are only into maybe year 4 or 5 of at least a 10 year contract to dock at Crown Bay vs. Havensight. However, Lorekauf posted just today that she was on Noordam several weeks ago and docked at Havensight. Don't count on that.

You're right not to count on Havensight. Even up to the day before we were supposed to go to Crown. When we were docked I thought we were at Crown because I could see much from where I was standing:o. I have no idea what happened there. It probably would have been cheaper for me if we had docked at Crown:D. I just had to get some more bling.

startwin's comment about your blog made me go and check it out:) Thank You startwin:)

I have a slightly off topic question for you sir, if I may?

How did you like the Corinth Canal?? I was scared to death due to the high enclosing walls (1986)!!! Did not realize just how claustrophobic a canal could be... I Loved it at the same time because how many other people can say they've sailed through it:)

Joanie

I have to admit I thoroughly enjoyed the Corinth Canal, but it is very daunting to take a ship through there. The vessel I was on, was at the maximum limits to be allowed through, and at times we did get closer on one side or the other then expected. I think if I were to be Captain of a vessel going through the Corinth Canal, I'd have a sleepless night beforehand.

Thank you also to startwins comment.

Archived