Where is QM2?

turquoise 6

I wonder why QM2 arrived in Freemantle so much earlier than expected :confused: According to the schedule (https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code_all) she wasn't due to arrive until 12 Feb at 06:00, with a departure time of 12 Feb 17:00.

BTW, here's a report w/photos of QM2 arrival in Freemantle: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/21399264/queen-arrives-at-fremantle-port/

I think all the scanners just missed that Fremantle was an overnight stop. On other boards everyone expected her to arrive Tuesday and depart Wednesday. Maybe even QM2 herself!

Edited by Pushka

I think all the scanners just missed that Fremantle was an overnight stop. On other boards everyone expected her to arrive Tuesday and depart Wednesday. Maybe even QM2 herself!

I thought she was due to arrive Tues at 06:00 and depart Tues at 17:00 (maybe I read the schedule incorrectly?)

Anyway, according to several reports in the Australian press, QM2 arrived 24 hours early. One report gives the reason for early arrival as being due to "favourable winds"...

"IT weighs nearly 150,000 tonnes, carries 2600 people and has travelled across the Indian Ocean, but the Queen Mary 2 still managed to arrive a day early in Australia. The massive cruise liner, which is part of the Cunard fleet, slid into dock in Fremantle on Tuesday morning, 24 hours ahead of schedule.

A spokeswoman for Fremantle port said favourable winds brought the ship in earlier than expected..." copied fromhttp://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/queen-mary-2-arrives-early-in-fremantle/story-fnhocxo3-1226823909728

I guess those passengers who were hoping for an unexpected overnight in Fremantle are delighted, but less happy are those who were looking forward to the scheduled sea day.

Does anyone recall QM2 arriving at a port 24 hours early in a non-emergency situation due to "favorable winds"?

Edited by Salacia

Salacia. I never recalled arriving a day earlier

On the QM2 or any ship, unless there is a problem

With ship.

I also have never heard of an ocean liner

Arriving a day earlier due to favorable winds.

A jet liner maybe

Also Cunard has to pay those port fees

Something's afoot:cool:

To carry out repairs apparently. But of what, I'm afraid I have no idea. They were told on the 6th they would be arriving for 9am on the 11th.

Thanks, Southampton Cruise; that makes a lot more sense than the ship arriving at port 24 hours early due to "favourable winds". I'm happy that the ship is safe at port, but I will never understand why some cruise lines are so often not forthcoming with factual information. Just my opinion, but Cunard/CCL would be well advised to release a (hopefully forthright) statement regarding the situation. Best wishes, -S.

Edited by Salacia

I guess they didn't want to alarm passengers so far out from Port. But they in port now so "helpful winds" doesn't cut it anymore.

It's still another 25 days Salacia. March 10 for 23 wonderful nights. I'm keen. :p

QM2 circumnavigates Australia Perth to Perth then she's on her way to me in Adelaide.

Edited by Pushka

I guess they didn't want to alarm passengers so far out from Port. But they in port now so "helpful winds" doesn't cut it anymore.

It's still another 25 days Salacia. March 10 for 23 wonderful nights. I'm keen. :p

QM2 circumnavigates Australia Perth to Perth then she's on her way to me in Adelaide.

Or maybe, just maybe it was favorable wind..

Nah...couldn't...has to be a vast conspiracy to keep something from the passengers and the world!

after all, " something's afoot"

Does anyone recall QM2 arriving at a port 24 hours early in a non-emergency situation due to "favorable winds"?

If I thought "favorable winds" determined QM2's schedule, I would be a little hesitant. Considering she crosses the Atlantic and arrives to the minute on schedule.....I have my doubts. :D

If I thought "favorable winds" determined QM2's schedule, I would be a little hesitant. Considering she crosses the Atlantic and arrives to the minute on schedule.....I have my doubts. :D

The last transatlantic vessel that used favorable

Winds to sail Transatlantic was the MAYFLOWER .:eek:

Nah...couldn't...has to be a vast conspiracy to keep something from the passengers and the world!

Here's the definition of "favorable wind" copied from http://www.seatalk.info/cgi-bin/nautical-marine-sailing-dictionary/db.cgi?db=db&uid=default&FirstLetter=f&sb=Term&view_records=View+Records&nh=2

1) A direction of the wind under which a vessel can sail to its destination without beating. 2) A wind which is neither too strong nor too light.

Seems to me that a wind that blows a functional ocean liner into port 24 hours ahead of schedule would have to be rather strong.

And no, seavoyager, I don't see "a vast conspiracy", but I do think there's more to the story. Maybe I missed something, but I haven't seen any comment from Cunard as to the reason for the change in schedule. -S.

Edited by Salacia

W

Here's the definition of "favorable wind" copied from http://www.seatalk.info/cgi-bin/nautical-marine-sailing-dictionary/db.cgi?db=db&uid=default&FirstLetter=f&sb=Term&view_records=View+Records&nh=2

1) A direction of the wind under which a vessel can sail to its destination without beating. 2) A wind which is neither too strong nor too light.

Seems to me that a wind that blows a functional ocean liner into port 24 hours ahead of schedule would have to be rather strong.

And no, seavoyager, I don't see "a vast conspiracy", but I do think there's more to the story. Maybe I missed something, but I haven't seen any comment from Cunard as to the reason for the change in schedule. -S.

You and NCLgirl keep investigating this HUGE MAJOR "OneextranightinFreemantlegate" scandal. Maybe you'll solve the Kennedy Assassination too.

Good Luck

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Edited by seavoyager6

It's already been acknowledged that repairs were required ;).

W

You and NCLgirl keep investigating this HUGE MAJOR "OneextranightinFreemantlegate" scandal. Maybe you'll solve the Kennedy Assassination too.

Good Luck

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Whenever someone responds with such nastiness, it makes me wonder why a simple question bothers them so much.

Thanks, Pushka, yes that is what Southampton Cruiser wrote in post #579. You have additional sources to share, please? Has the schedule been changed? Thanks, -S.

Hi Salacia

With regards to QM2's early arrival into WA, here's what someone I've met posted on another board on CC

"Just boarded a few hours ago. QM2 lost power for 15 minutes mid Indian Ocean. Sped up to give her an extra 24 hours for "permanent" repairs in port. But to us that know her well, "She's always losing power, we just take it in our stride""

Hi Salacia

With regards to QM2's early arrival into WA, here's what someone I've met posted on another board on CC

"Just boarded a few hours ago. QM2 lost power for 15 minutes mid Indian Ocean. Sped up to give her an extra 24 hours for "permanent" repairs in port. But to us that know her well, "She's always losing power, we just take it in our stride""

Hi Pushka - thanks for that info, very glad everything turned out well. Yup, these things happen on ships every once in awhile. Never fun and always a bit scary to lose power at sea, but best to be prepared for the possibility and not to panic.

I can see the QM2 now on the Melbourne webcam. Unfortunately it's one of those webcams that can be controlled so it keeps moving.

http://www.portofmelbourne.com/Community-and-recreation/View-the-port/Webcams

http://portcapacity.portofmelbourne.com/pages/webcams.asp

Choose the West Gate or Webb Dock West one.

Edited by Ray66