CC Language Question

Ricardin, could you explain the phrase "feel like such a plank"? I gather it's not something to be proud of, but I'm wondering what the origin is, and are there social settings in which it would be inappropriate? Thanks!

PS: I could have also said "TIA" meaning "Thanks in advance."

Not sure where OP is from but it is quite widely used in Britain. I think it stems from the phrase "thick as two short planks" which I think is referring to planks of wood (again common phrase here). So (s)he was suggesting a plank is a bit dim which of course it is!

Obviously I'm not suggesting this of the OP! And if anyone wants endless lists of unfathomable acronyms try working in a very large bank :-)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

MD = Maître d'(hôtel)

GS = (in addition to Grand Suite) Guest Services

RS = Room Steward

ETA - I just remembered, RS can also mean Room Service.

RS = Royal Suite;):p

So I ordered RS from my RS to have it delivered by the RS :eek:

RS = Royal Suite;):p

So I ordered RS from my RS to have it delivered by the RS :eek:

Yep, Royal Suite is the first meaning I had listed for that one, with the list of cabin category abbreviations.

Hee hee - RS, RS, RS, not confusing at all, is it?:p

Now, if Ringo Starr (RS), after giving an interview in Rolling Stone (RS) upon the release of Rubber Soul (RS), stayed in that RS and ordered RS from his RS, it might get a tad confusing.:p

I've gotta get a hobby:rolleyes:.

Way back when Royal Caribbean was know as RCCL. That was before they bought up Celebrity and added Pulmantour, and Azamara.

Now Rccl is the parent company while RCI is the cruise line.

Some of us old timers find it hard to break old habits.

Obviously I'm not suggesting this of the OP! And if anyone wants endless lists of unfathomable acronyms try working in a very large bank :-)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

I AGREE!! And we have so many acronyms that I often read some here and think "well that doesn't make sense"? Then I remember I'm not at work and reading about cruises instead.

ETA: Edited To Add :D

Wow, LOL (laugh out loud;))! I totally didn't realize I had used an acronym in this thread about the meaning of acronyms without explaing it! Ironic. Thanks for that. Good look!;):p:D

I obviously realise that the majority of members on here are either from The States or Canada. Can anyone with a CC dictionary please take a moment to give me a list of the meanings of the abbreviations you use, DS, DH, BIL etc etc. I love cruising, and I love cruise critic and sharing everyone's experiences. I just feel such a plank typing everthing in full.

Here is a link to the list of

Cruise Critic Acronyms

Another useful one is

Translating American English to British English

Enjoy!

Not heard of that one. I've heard of the AD (Activities Director) who usually is the assistant to the CD.

Oops, sorry.:o ACD must be one only used on that other cruise line.:p

Along with PB = Piano Bar

and PBE = Piano Bar Entertainer

Not an abbreviation but watch out for date format. Like the 'plank' it also gets lost in translation.

I have spent ages looking for role call based on dd/mm/yy but I gather the common format on here is often mm/dd/yy...of course the fact there aren't 31 months in a year means I should have caught onto this quicker than I did!

FWIW, here's a list that I copied, edited, and pasted from another CC thread. It shows the 2-digit acronym for each ship in the RCI fleet.

AD - Adventure

AL - Allure

BR - Brilliance

EN - Enchantment

EX - Explorer

FR - Freedom

GR - Grandeur

ID - Independence

JW - Jewel

LG - Legend

LB - Liberty

MJ - Majesty