Itenary Change... I am so MAD!

rhinomike

You gotta' love cruise critic where reading comprehension isn't a prerequisite for commenting and sympathy tends to elude people. I'm sure the OP was just blowing off some steam. I'd be pissed too if I got that email less than two days before departure. Once on board he'll probably relax and enjoy the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You gotta' love cruise critic where reading comprehension isn't a prerequisite for commenting and sympathy tends to elude people. I'm sure the OP was just blowing off some steam. I'd be pissed too if I got that email less than two days before departure. Once on board he'll probably relax and enjoy the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lol. Yep. Thank you.

At least the OP found out before the cruise, and not like we've found out about previous itinerary changes (one time standing in line for check in. Another time when we arrived in our cabin and found a letter on the bed).

I just got the below email from Carnival. I will never sail with them again. I understand not going to Gran turk. Things happen. But why change our other port dates and time? Our flight leaves in the morning. I am scrambling trying to change all of my excursions and tours. I hate them right now. This is horrible.

ITINERARY CHANGE

CARNIVAL GLORY

MARCH 24, 2013March 22, 2013

Greetings folks!

Betcha you can't wait for your cruise on Sunday, which is why we want to provide you with some important information regarding our itinerary plans for your sailing on the Carnival Glory

As you may know, during the last few weeks there has been an increase in reported cases of gastroenteritis among cruise ship guests following their visit to Grand Turk. Affected passengers were sailing aboard the ships of multiple cruise lines. Although not confirmed, we are investigating whether there may be a link with consumption of food and beverages while guests were ashore in Grand Turk.

Therefore, in an abundance of caution and because the well-being of our guests is our highest priority, various cruise lines, including ours, have cancelled calls to Grand Turk and are continuing to monitor the situation while the cause of the illnesses is being determined. Additionally, we have reversed the order of our visits to San Juan and St. Thomas and extended our times in all ports for your enjoyment.

We know how much you were looking forward to your time in Grand Turk and regret this sudden turn of events. Unfortunately, there are no other viable port alternatives for us. I trust you will understand this situation since our number one priority is the safety and welfare of our guests and crew.

Below is the revised itinerary:

DAYPORTARRIVEDEPARTSUNMiami, FL 4:00 PMMONNassau, The Bahamas8:00 AM4:00 PMTUEFun Day @ SeaWEDSan Juan, Puerto Rico12:00 PM10:00 PMTHUSt. Thomas, USVI8:00 AM6:00 PMFRIFun Day @ SeaSATFun Day @ SeaSUNMiami, FL8:00 AMPre-purchased shore excursions for Grand Turk, as well as a 14.71 USD per person credit for the government fees and taxes will be automatically refunded to your Sail & Sign account. We will make every effort to adjust pre-purchased shore tours for San Juan and St. Thomas to the new day and times. In the event your tour is affected, you will be notified on an individual basis.

Once again, we sincerely apologize for this change in plans and thank you for your understanding. We look forward to welcoming you aboard the Carnival Glory for a FUN and memorable cruise vacation.

Sincerely,

I feel for you, but, that is the chance you take when you book your own excursions. At least Carnival is giving you advance notice.

At least the OP found out before the cruise, and not like we've found out about previous itinerary changes (one time standing in line for check in. Another time when we arrived in our cabin and found a letter on the bed).

Now that would really upset me, especially if they knew well in advance they were going to change the itinerary.

The OP is very welcome to vent and this is a great outlet for it - I think people are not feeling sorry for the OP is because we have all been there...

Last summer we left on Saturday morning for our Sunday cruise. On Friday afternoon at 2:16 I got an email. ----------------

CARNIVAL GLORY

JUNE 3, 2012

June 1, 2012

Greetings folks!

We know you must be very excited about your upcoming cruise aboard the beautiful Carnival Glory. So, we'd like to provide you with some important information regarding our scheduled itinerary.

As you may know, on June 2nd, the Carnival Glory will reposition from Norfolk to Boston. As a result of speed restrictions imposed on ships to protect migrating whales along the East Coast, we've modified our departure time from Boston due to a later than scheduled arrival from Norfolk. Additionally, our time in Portland was also changed.

Below is the itinerary:

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

SUN Boston, MA 11:00 PM

MON Portland, ME 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

TUE Saint John, NB, Canada 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

WED Fun Day @ Sea

THU Halifax, NS, Canada 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

FRI Sydney, NS, Canada 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

SAT Fun Day @ Sea

SUN Boston, MA 8:00 AM

---

Anyone ever wanted to depart at 11 pm???

So Friday afternoon I get this email It is already after 5:00 in Sydney when I get this....

BUT WAIT - it got better... And Yes, they did offer us as you will see $50 for missing an ENTIRE day onboard. On Sunday at noon on the day we were to be boarding we got this email! Needless to say it was one of the worse organized trips I have ever been on. Will I sail again? You bet - Can't wait until July!!! Will I sail from Boston - probably not! The weird thing, they never notified anyone in Portland of the change (We also didn't get fresh food loaded until Portland but that is a whole other story!) ----

June 3, 2012

Hello again!

Further to the email you received on Friday, we'd like to provide you an update on the arrival of the Carnival Glory and our itinerary.

I'm sorry to say that the ship is encountering dense fog on its way to Boston. Consequently, our arrival will be further delayed.

Your check-in is now scheduled between 8:30 PM - 11:30 PM tonight and boarding is expected to start around 10:00 PM.

As you know, seating is limited in our cruise terminal. Complimentary shuttles will be available to take you to nearby historic Quincy Market, where you can take advantage of a variety of dining and shopping venues while you wait. We will post a $50 per person onboard credit to your Sail and Sign account, so please enjoy a nice dinner on us.

Due to our late arrival, we have modified our itinerary. Our departure is now scheduled for tomorrow morning at 11:00 AM. The safety briefing will be conducted prior to our departure. Below is the revised itinerary.

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

SUN Boston, MA Overnight

MON Boston, MA 11:00 AM

TUE Portland, ME 7:00 AM 5:00 PM

WED Saint John, NB, Canada 7:00 AM 4:00 PM

THU Halifax, NS, Canada 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

FRI Sydney, NS, Canada 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

SAT Fun Day @ Sea

------------------

My whole point is - Ship happens - and I really don't think it was anyones intent to make the OP feel like they weren't been heard - I think the opposite - People were reading - We all understand and have been there. We get it! Hope the OP is having a great cruise! Wish I was there instead of snowy Missouri... (It is spring, isn't it??) :rolleyes:

The OP is very welcome to vent and this is a great outlet for it - I think people are not feeling sorry for the OP is because we have all been there...

Last summer we left on Saturday morning for our Sunday cruise. On Friday afternoon at 2:16 I got an email. ----------------

CARNIVAL GLORY

JUNE 3, 2012

June 1, 2012

Greetings folks!

We know you must be very excited about your upcoming cruise aboard the beautiful Carnival Glory. So, we'd like to provide you with some important information regarding our scheduled itinerary.

As you may know, on June 2nd, the Carnival Glory will reposition from Norfolk to Boston. As a result of speed restrictions imposed on ships to protect migrating whales along the East Coast, we've modified our departure time from Boston due to a later than scheduled arrival from Norfolk. Additionally, our time in Portland was also changed.

Below is the itinerary:

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

SUN Boston, MA 11:00 PM

MON Portland, ME 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

TUE Saint John, NB, Canada 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

WED Fun Day @ Sea

THU Halifax, NS, Canada 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

FRI Sydney, NS, Canada 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

SAT Fun Day @ Sea

---

Anyone ever wanted to depart at 11 pm???

So Friday afternoon I get this email It is already after 5:00 in Sydney when I get this....

BUT WAIT - it got better... And Yes, they did offer us as you will see $50 for missing an ENTIRE day onboard. On Sunday at noon on the day we were to be boarding we got this email! Needless to say it was one of the worse organized trips I have ever been on. Will I sail again? You bet - Can't wait until July!!! Will I sail from Boston - probably not! The weird thing, they never notified anyone in Portland of the change (We also didn't get fresh food loaded until Portland but that is a whole other story!) ----

June 3, 2012

Hello again!

Further to the email you received on Friday, we'd like to provide you an update on the arrival of the Carnival Glory and our itinerary.

I'm sorry to say that the ship is encountering dense fog on its way to Boston. Consequently, our arrival will be further delayed.

Your check-in is now scheduled between 8:30 PM - 11:30 PM tonight and boarding is expected to start around 10:00 PM.

As you know, seating is limited in our cruise terminal. Complimentary shuttles will be available to take you to nearby historic Quincy Market, where you can take advantage of a variety of dining and shopping venues while you wait. We will post a $50 per person onboard credit to your Sail and Sign account, so please enjoy a nice dinner on us.

Due to our late arrival, we have modified our itinerary. Our departure is now scheduled for tomorrow morning at 11:00 AM. The safety briefing will be conducted prior to our departure. Below is the revised itinerary.

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

SUN Boston, MA Overnight

MON Boston, MA 11:00 AM

TUE Portland, ME 7:00 AM 5:00 PM

WED Saint John, NB, Canada 7:00 AM 4:00 PM

THU Halifax, NS, Canada 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

FRI Sydney, NS, Canada 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

SAT Fun Day @ Sea

------------------

My whole point is - Ship happens - and I really don't think it was anyones intent to make the OP feel like they weren't been heard - I think the opposite - People were reading - We all understand and have been there. We get it! Hope the OP is having a great cruise! Wish I was there instead of snowy Missouri... (It is spring, isn't it??) :rolleyes:

Your font is really really tiny! It's kind of hard to read and I have pretty good but not perfect vision.

Your font is really really tiny! It's kind of hard to read and I have pretty good but not perfect vision.

Sorry - Tried changing between email and post to distinguish... On my computer screen it's not tiny.

We have booked many independent tours and so far when we have missed ports, there hasn't been a problem. A reputable tour company knows if the ship doesn't get to the port, we can't be there. They also know if our ship is delayed/changed dates that we will still want the tour.

Sorry you lost money, (I say that not having read past page 1 as I felt , never mind,) but if you lost it because of your tour operator, you picked the wrong one. Change of itinerary happens on all cruise lines, but if you feel it is just Carnival, pick another one.

I do understand being upset, but I think you are not being rational.

I agree with this. I am not a cheerleader for any line and if I were it would NOT be Carnival. The fault here lies with the tour vendor.

If I were the OP, I would first post my complaint LOUD and CLEAR on the Port of call Boards here. I would also write to the tour operator/call the tour operator and let them know I was telling everyone who will listen on every cruise web site available, their cancellation policy in regard to change of itinerary by ship.

You may not get anywhere but you can save a lot of other cruisers a lot of grief.

It is not risky to book tours outside the cruise line IF you investigate them first and this web site is a fabulous source. Most reputable cruise excursion vendors are well aware that CC can literally make them or break them. I have heard this from several of them....Cosol tours in St Lucia credits his success totally on this web site, so reviews posted here are extremely important to tour operators.

I agree with this. I am not a cheerleader for any line and if I were it would NOT be Carnival. The fault here lies with the tour vendor.

If I were the OP, I would first post my complaint LOUD and CLEAR on the Port of call Boards here. I would also write to the tour operator/call the tour operator and let them know I was telling everyone who will listen on every cruise web site available, their cancellation policy in regard to change of itinerary by ship.

You may not get anywhere but you can save a lot of other cruisers a lot of grief.

It is not risky to book tours outside the cruise line IF you investigate them first and this web site is a fabulous source. Most reputable cruise excursion vendors are well aware that CC can literally make them or break them. I have heard this from several of them....Cosol tours in St Lucia credits his success totally on this web site, so reviews posted here are extremely important to tour operators.

Good advise but would also tell tour operator you will not pay in advance.

I just got the below email from Carnival. I will never sail with them again. I understand not going to Gran turk. Things happen. But why change our other port dates and time? Our flight leaves in the morning. I am scrambling trying to change all of my excursions and tours. I hate them right now.

At least your ship sailed...

I agree Stu, never pay in advance unless you know the operator and you are clear on their refund policy.

I often pay in advance for Catamaran excursions as I find that the most popular and highest rated ones require this. In this day and age word of mouth and word of Internet would quickly destroy a company that didn't honor their cancellation policy. Often I am a first time user but I thoroughly read up on any excursion company prior to using them to make sure that others have found them to be reliable and fair.

If companies do not ask to be paid prior to the trip people can book 2-3 excursions and decide at the last minute which one they feel like doing when they arrive at port. I have found in the past that when we decide to join a tour at the last minute we are delayed because the operator wants to fill the tour up prior to leaving. If the company has filled up the tour and collected the money already then there are less delays. At least that has been my experience.

I often pay in advance for Catamaran excursions as I find that the most popular and highest rated ones require this. In this day and age word of mouth and word of Internet would quickly destroy a company that didn't honor their cancellation policy. Often I am a first time user but I thoroughly read up on any excursion company prior to using them to make sure that others have found them to be reliable and fair.

If companies do not ask to be paid prior to the trip people can book 2-3 excursions and decide at the last minute which one they feel like doing when they arrive at port. I have found in the past that when we decide to join a tour at the last minute we are delayed because the operator wants to fill the tour up prior to leaving. If the company has filled up the tour and collected the money already then there are less delays. At least that has been my experience.

I am taking excursions with Calabaza in Barbados and Highpockets in St Thomas, both very highly rated day sails, and no up front payment with either. They did take a credit card number to hold the reservation, and I'm sure it would be charged should I not show up and the ship does make port. Doing business that way insures the operators their income, while being fair to the customers. We have also booked private tours with the highest rated companies during both of our Europe cruises and none of them charged until after the tours. I am always very leery to book with those who require full payment prior to the excursion.

That being said, I went against my own policy of never prepaying, to book the Flavors of San Juan tour; they required full payment up front. :)

I 100% plan to show up for my privately booked excursions in May, but I usually have a "disposable" credit card I book these excursions with. Meaning if the ship changes ports or misses ports I will not be charged because after I originally booked the excursion I cancelled that particular credit card so it couldn't be charged for several hundred dollars in situations like this.

I 100% plan to show up for my privately booked excursions in May, but I usually have a "disposable" credit card I book these excursions with. Meaning if the ship changes ports or misses ports I will not be charged because after I originally booked the excursion I cancelled that particular credit card so it couldn't be charged for several hundred dollars in situations like this.

Do I understand you correctly; you cancel the card after using it as a legit deposit for a tour?

I would feel very dishonest doing that, but it makes it easier to understand why some providers are charging customers upfront.

I think I would follow the dispute channels provided by the credit card companies should our card be charged by a tour operator for a missed port, etc., and that was not the posted policy.

Do I understand you correctly; you cancel the card after using it as a legit deposit for a tour?

I would feel very dishonest doing that, but it makes it easier to understand why some providers are charging customers upfront.

I think I would follow the dispute channels provided by the credit card companies should our card be charged by a tour operator for a missed port, etc., and that was not the posted policy.

No I'm talking about the tours that require a card number just to hold the reservation. They don't charge until you arrive.

No I'm talking about the tours that require a card number just to hold the reservation. They don't charge until you arrive.

Thanks for the response, but isn't that like really giving them nothing at all to hold your space? (I assume they take the card as insurance against a no show, and would charge it in that case.) Even though you have every intention of going, you still have an out with no consequences whatsoever should you choose to do so.

Just confused as to why you would do so. Have you had a bad prior experience?

At double the cost of a private one, still going to do private but we never pay in advance.

:D:DYou may save half, but the first time you miss the ship, you will spend much more than half to get home.... I have seen that too many times... We will always book through the cruise line just for peace of mind. Just an opinion...we have been late on cruise line sponsored trips, and had we been on an independent excursion, we would have been left behind... Just sayin'

Hope all the best for youmwho book independents!!!:D:D

Archived