Have You Ever Ran Into Someone You Know On A Cruise?

A couple of years ago we sailed and after boarding I ran into a high school classmate. We live in the same town, just never crossed paths. Today, I was talking to a friend who was upset because she found out 3 of her co-workers, including her boss, all booked the same cruise she did. She disappointed because she thought she was getting away from anyone and anything work related.

This got me to thinking, have you ever left your hometown and ran into someone you know?

i hope not! i go on short trips and long vacations to get away from the people i know and to let loose/relax. i'd hate to run into someone i work with or see often. although someone i went to school with, just a casual "oh hey!" probably wouldn't be too bad...

We went to a Nascar race in Bristol Tenn. about 20 years ago. My brother-in -law and his 2 sons were with us. We left the race and came back to Pigeon Forge Tenn. to spend the rest of the weekend. We were looking around the shops and ran into my BIL's boss, wife and daughter and kids. We were 7 hrs from home.

A few years later we went to Carowinds in Charlotte, NC for my birthday (3 hrs from home). We stopped in Rock HIll to eat breakfast at Huddle House. In walks my bosses son and a bunch of other guys we knew that had a softball tournament in Rock Hill.

I was on a cruise from New York to South Africa, When the ship docked in Southampton we got new table mates, one of them was nor only from my home town Glasgow but we went to the same secondary school she was a year ahead of me so we had never met. I should add that I left Glasgow in 1968 and I have been living in the United States from 1983.

On another trip from Southampton to Canada I met the sister of a boyfriend I had when I was 15 she lived in Canada and I had never met her, so it was funny to meet her for the first time on a cruise ship 48 years later. I still keep in touch with the old boyfriend and his wife and I go out to dinner a couple of times a year when I visit Scotland.

I ran into a guy from work.

It was on one of the last days of a 7 or 8 day cruise and I was sitting on the lido deck outside of the ladies room, waiting for the little lady... :rolleyes:

On several occasions I have run across other cruisers we have met on previous cruises.

Not to mention some of the crew.

My very first cruise I ran into a distant co-worker..from the same town but so ironic to see him on the same cruise. ...then about 8 yrs ago even more ironic...I ran into my cousin..it was so bizarre..as she is from another state....too bad it was like the last nite of our cruise.... I noticed her in the dining room...i kept looking at her ...then it dawned on me...I just had to run up to her to say hey...I guess being on the ship out in the ocean...it just didn't register with my brain..

Golden Princess 2006 Southern Caribbean out of San Juan

Ran into one of the bank tellers from my local bank

Carnival Victory 2006 5 Day NYC to Canada

Ran into one of the managers from our local Friendly's restaurant...Karen

We leave on the Conquest next Sunday. We booked it maybe seven months ago and after we booked, we found out four of my daughters classmates and their families from her senior class are also on the same sailing out of New Orleans.....we live in Wisconsin!! :eek::)

I grew up in Puerto Rico, and sailing out of San Juan it wasnt uncommon to run into friends from my hometown on a couple of cruises.

The craziest encounter though was when we took a month long trip to Europe and we ran into a friend from high school at the Notre Dame Basilica in Paris, and then a few days later we ran across friends from our own neighborhood in a small town in Germany.

Our our 25th anniversary cruise in 2010 (the first trip we had been on without our children since the day they were born....21 years) and we ran into 3 different couples from our hometown on the ship....to say we were surprised doesn't even begin to describe it!

Last year on my very first cruise I was in the gift shop looked up and saw a lady I have know all my life, went to church with and live only about five miles from. She was on the cruise with her son, daughter in law and some friends. I thought it was cool. We live in NC, sailed out of FL and we were that far from home and ran into to someone from home.

Our very first cruise was out of NOLA and we ran in to 3 other families from our small town. Who would have throught that 1400 miles away from home we would all be on the same ship!

We have never run into anybody we have know on our other cruises, though.

This got me to thinking, have you ever left your hometown and ran into someone you know?
Yep. my parents. Year's ago my wife & I booked a cruise last minute and lo & behold, we ran into my parents on the ship. In those days they cruised a lot so it wasn't surprising to find out they had been on some cruises after the fact. On this occasion we happened to pick a cruise they were on too. It was a nice surprise... we had an unexpected great time with them all week .:)

On a cruise we did out of NOLA -12 hr drive- over Christmas break my son and his friend ran into their PE teacher from school traveling w his family in the dining room at the same time. Same cruise I ran into one of the Deans at the University I work at traveling with co-workers.

Family best was in 1988 my sisters and mom were in line at Hard Rock cafe and ran into a guy from church who had moved away a few years prior. They all were in London at the same time.

A couple of years ago we sailed and after boarding I ran into a high school classmate. We live in the same town, just never crossed paths. Today, I was talking to a friend who was upset because she found out 3 of her co-workers, including her boss, all booked the same cruise she did. She disappointed because she thought she was getting away from anyone and anything work related.

On our Triumph cruise in 2005 my son ran into one of his classmates the first day. He ended up spending the whole cruise with that family and we got a very relaxing vaca, lol!

My kids ran into other students from their school during our fall break cruises in both 2011 and 2012. We also ran into my aunt on our cruise last September, but she was only there for a luncheon of some sort that was being held during embarkation. She wasn't actually booked on the cruise.

We've run into people we know about 1/4 of our cruises--

My beer teacher, former secretary's daughter, postman, friend's cousin, former students, friends of DD............

Worst time was when the band-kid in our group encountered a group of cheerleaders & football players from his high school in Club02.:p

We sail primarily from our SoCal homeports.

My sister ran into her best friends ex boyfriend on one of our cruises. It was hilarious. I have run into people in hawaii that I know from my town. I ran into two different employees on the same trip to a town about 8 hours from my house. Both were in different restaurants too. it is a very small world.

Archived