Haven't sailed yet but already dissapointed with Carnival

Lissa24

Very dissapointed in Carnival and we haven't even sailed yet. We are booked on the Dream June 1st. Most in our group (me included) have never cruised before so when I booked I asked tons of questions and kept notes. I was informed that the fare could drop and they would adjust that for me if it went down. So I watched every day for a reduction. When I noticed one a few weeks ago I called in and they adjusted my fare... No problem. Now the fare has dropped over $200 and they will not do anything. They keep telling me that we are booked under a fare that doesn't allow changes and that the person that booked my cruise originally and the one that adjusted my fare when it dropped the first time made an error. I have already made final payment but should get onboard credit. It would be even cheaper to cancel cruise and lose deposit ($125 per person) and rebook. But they won't let me do that either. I am so mad and dissapointed in this cruise line. As a first time cruiser, they have definently not made a good first impression. We were about to book a trip in September with friends and family ( a group of 40 ).. We will now be looking elsewhere. Carnival obviously doesn't stick to their word or care about their customers.

Very dissapointed in Carnival and we haven't even sailed yet. We are booked on the Dream June 1st. Most in our group (me included) have never cruised before so when I booked I asked tons of questions and kept notes. I was informed that the fare could drop and they would adjust that for me if it went down. So I watched every day for a reduction. When I noticed one a few weeks ago I called in and they adjusted my fare... No problem. Now the fare has dropped over $200 and they will not do anything. They keep telling me that we are booked under a fare that doesn't allow changes and that the person that booked my cruise originally and the one that adjusted my fare when it dropped the first time made an error. I have already made final payment but should get onboard credit. It would be even cheaper to cancel cruise and lose deposit ($125 per person) and rebook. But they won't let me do that either. I am so mad and dissapointed in this cruise line. As a first time cruiser, they have definently not made a good first impression. We were about to book a trip in September with friends and family ( a group of 40 ).. We will now be looking elsewhere. Carnival obviously doesn't stick to their word or care about their customers.

Most of the stuff you consider problems are spelled out in the ticket contract. Very few cruise lines will honor price drops after final payment is due. They have specific penalties for cancelling within a ceertain number of days prior to the cruise.

Sorry you are upset, but the cruise line is handling this in the same manner all of them do.

Your deposit is $250 per person, not $125. You might have booked under a half off deposit sale, but your deposit is still $250 pp you would lose.

Im sorry you did not come here sooner and read that ONLY early saver fare gets price drops after final payment.

Carnival seems to have a history of giving bad info and they will not stand behind it as myself and many others have found out over the years.

Your cancel penalty at this point would probably be either your deposit .. or half of your fare, whichever is more.. so beware.

Read the small print for yourself for your fare and the FAQs and start coming here and learning the rules so you can be more proactive. We have all lost money on a cruise or two that we picked wrong or booked with the wrong TA or whatever. My advice is to put it behind you and learn and try to protect yourself in the future.

If you know the rules it will be so much easier for yourself to protect your fare and others.. and understand ES fare has many restrictions, like if someone gets sick last minute the rules say you cant replace them.. so dont book it blindly because a phone rep doesnt tell you all the rules and then get upset.

PS .. let me warn you now, RCL for instance has NO FARES that allow price drops after final payment, at least the last time I paid attention... you would be better off to learn the rules and read the small print before you book Carnival or any other cruiseline.

Bookings within the entire cruise industry

is akin to shooting fish in a barrel!

You don't like it? get yer own cruise-ship.

Those unfortunately...are the options!!

And still we love them! :)

Actually what Carnival told you was correct....

you CAN get a price reduction ( I do on almost every cruise) UNTIL the Final Payment....

and to be honest, yes, they might not have added those last 4 words..

OR you might not have HEARD those last four words and just concentrated on the price reduction comment.

As someone else pointed out, no mass market cruise line is going to reduce your rates until you sail.

Carnival does offer Early Saver (which allows you to reduce rates until 2 days before you sail BUT there are many restrictions that you need to be fully aware of before selecting that route).....

this is exactly why I recommend that new cruisers use a trusted Travel Agent.... face to face.

Because there can be to much lost in translation or misunderstood just talking over the phone....

Btw, with Carnival booking 14 MILLION+ cruisers a year, I have no doubt they make errors.....but sometimes people only hear and remember what they want to.....

I have already made final payment but should get onboard credit.

Are you past final payment date? Your cruise is still more than 60 days away. I don't remember what Carnival calls final payment date.

If you haven't hit the date yet, it doesn't matter that you have paid. You can get a full refund and lose nothing....if final payment date is not past.

Just sayin...:)

Are you past final payment date? Your cruise is still more than 60 days away. I don't remember what Carnival calls final payment date.

If you haven't hit the date yet, it doesn't matter that you have paid. You can get a full refund and lose nothing....if final payment date is not past.

Just sayin...:)

Off the top of my head I think its 75 days.

The fact they are not allowing the price drop makes me think the OP is past final payment.

I booked my first cruise with a TA who I swear bumped up the rates and padded them and pocketed money. I thought what? so after the cruise I asked her for a price quote, saying something like I can book Princess Grand for $399 pp what can you do for me.. she came back with a higher rate??!! and confirmed my suspicions. I learned a lot more and started to book on my own after that rip off for our group. Got me into cruising so I try and not be upset, but for what I paid for that OV pp I could have booked 2 people.

Who in here who has done a number of cruises has not made a booking mistake and wished they had booked a different rate, a different cabin .. made mistakes that cost them money .. and learned from them?

I did pay the reduced deposit of $125 and am past final payment date. Was told we would get onboard credit after final payment date. I just feel they should stand by what they told me... Twice! And I knew what I was paying when I purchased cruise and was fine with that .. But don't tell me I can get a lower fare if it goes down then not give it to me! Just saying! First time cruiser that is learning as they go.

Who in here who has done a number of cruises has not made a booking mistake and wished they had booked a different rate, a different cabin .. made mistakes that cost them money .. and learned from them?

Very well said Firefly. A pure learning experience.

Bookings within the entire cruise industry

is akin to shooting fish in a barrel!

You don't like it? get yer own cruise-ship.

Those unfortunately...are the options!!

And still we love them! :)

Well that would be nice... But not really an option! But thanks for the suggestion

Your deposit is $250 per person, not $125. You might have booked under a half off deposit sale, but your deposit is still $250 pp you would lose.

Im sorry you did not come here sooner and read that ONLY early saver fare gets price drops after final payment.

Carnival seems to have a history of giving bad info and they will not stand behind it as myself and many others have found out over the years.

Your cancel penalty at this point would probably be either your deposit .. or half of your fare, whichever is more.. so beware.

Read the small print for yourself for your fare and the FAQs and start coming here and learning the rules so you can be more proactive. We have all lost money on a cruise or two that we picked wrong or booked with the wrong TA or whatever. My advice is to put it behind you and learn and try to protect yourself in the future.

If you know the rules it will be so much easier for yourself to protect your fare and others.. and understand ES fare has many restrictions, like if someone gets sick last minute the rules say you cant replace them.. so dont book it blindly because a phone rep doesnt tell you all the rules and then get upset.

PS .. let me warn you now, RCL for instance has NO FARES that allow price drops after final payment, at least the last time I paid attention... you would be better off to learn the rules and read the small print before you book Carnival or any other cruiseline.

Fire - I think this actually makes things a lot more clearer. Also, having 17 different types of fares only serves to make things more confusing.

This op seems to have been booked into a totally different fare than she thought she was getting , OR the latest agents she's dealing with are confused as to what type of fare she has. So:

I'm wondering if there is anywhere on a passenger's booking documents that actually says what kind of fare it is. So a person could check to see if they actually got the fare type they thought they were booking?

I did pay the reduced deposit of $125 and am past final payment date. Was told we would get onboard credit after final payment date. I just feel they should stand by what they told me... Twice! And I knew what I was paying when I purchased cruise and was fine with that .. But don't tell me I can get a lower fare if it goes down then not give it to me! Just saying! First time cruiser that is learning as they go.

Salesmen are like politicians !!!! The "before" and "after" are -- shall we say ---DIFFERENT!!!!

Enjoy your cruise, and chalk this one up to experience. Next time, the cruise line will have a worthy adversary in you !!!

Im just trying to make clear you would lose at least your entire deposit... not the $125 half deposit.... your deposit is $250 per person and that is the least you would lose, or half the fare, whichever is more is the cancellation terms.

You had said above you thought you would only lose $125 per person. I wanted to clear that up and make sure you understood it was $250 pp.

Very well said Firefly. A pure learning experience.

I haven't made any "mistakes" that have cost me money. I tend to read and research the pros/cons of what I am booking.

Do you know exactly what fare code you booked under? Since you booked under a reduced deposit code, I first was going to assume that it was not Early Saver, but I've noticed lately an Early Saver fare that comes with reduced deposit. To be sure, look at your confirmation e-mail from Carnival. Near the bottom there should be a section titled GUEST NOTES. Here is where you will find what fare you were booked under. If you are booked under the Early Saver rate, it will say Early Saver here somewhere, like this:

"GUEST NOTES

2) Early Saver:Cancellations prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit less a $50 pp service fee. If you find a lower cruise rate,based on the total cabin occupancy& not from the booked ancillary services,such as air,transfers,prepaid gratuities,or government taxes & fees contact your Travel Agent or http://www.Carnival.com. Price protection does not apply to Super Saver,Instant Saver fares,group rates,membership rates,select promotions,or travel agent promotions. Verified rate difference is issued as an onboard credit. No name changes are allowed. A $50 fee per guest will be assessed for ship/sail date changes made prior to final payment date."

Early Saver is the only fare that qualifies for price reductions after final payment due date, generally given as on-board credit. Other fare codes are fully refundable up until final payment due date, so they will generally give you the price difference because technically you could just cancel with no penalty and re-book at the lower price. Note the difference between when final payment is made and when final payment is due. Many people make payment in full prior to when final payment is actually due.

If a rep told you that fare codes other than Early Saver come with on-board credit for price drops after final payment due date, they gave you erroneous information. It's a trade off. The customer assumes the risk of losing $50 pp for name changes or cancellations in exchange for receiving price protection up to 2 days prior to sailing. With Early Saver cancellations, Carnival will hold your money (minus the $50 pp cancellation fee) for up to 24 months and apply it to another cruise.

If they gave other fare codes this same price protection, nobody would book Early Saver.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your first Carnival cruise!

Im just trying to make clear you would lose at least your entire deposit... not the $125 half deposit.... your deposit is $250 per person and that is the least you would lose, or half the fare, whichever is more is the cancellation terms.

You had said above you thought you would only lose $125 per person. I wanted to clear that up and make sure you understood it was $250 pp.

OP can also go to Carnivals website and pull up her booking and there is a place to click on that says "is there a penalty if I cancel this booking"

You can click on that and it will tell you how much to cancel.

Bill

OP can also go to Carnivals website and pull up her booking and there is a place to click on that says "is there a penalty if I cancel this booking"

You can click on that and it will tell you how much to cancel.

Bill

True. I was just concerned when the OP posted this.. and then even after I posted that her deposit was $250 pp came back and said she paid $125 deposit without acknowledging she understood how much the deposit was.

It would be even cheaper to cancel cruise and lose deposit ($125 per person) and rebook. But they won't let me do that either

OP they will let you cancel .. but not for $125 pp.

I'm wondering if there is anywhere on a passenger's booking documents that actually says what kind of fare it is. So a person could check to see if they actually got the fare type they thought they were booking?

On my Cruise Conformation email it has "Notes" 1 & 2, at the bottom, note 2 says "Early Saver" and gives the restrictions :)

If the OP is really that unhappy; might be best to bite the bullet, cancel, and consider it an expensive lesson learned. Otherwise, OP's opinion of everything to do with the cruise will be tainted. Maybe a different type of vacation would suit better. Cruises are not for everyone; me, they suit just fine.

If the OP is really that unhappy; might be best to bite the bullet, cancel, and consider it an expensive lesson learned. Otherwise, OP's opinion of everything to do with the cruise will be tainted. Maybe a different type of vacation would suit better. Cruises are not for everyone; me, they suit just fine.

We dont know if there was just a misunderstanding or what. The rep could have said price drops until final payment and a newbie might have assumed it was like a hotel and that meant up until 24 hours before hand..

Some how she did not hear when final payment was and the price drops would stop.

OP I would call back and try to upgrade my cabin. If your rate dropped that much... get on the phone and ask to upgrade. I would do my homework FIRST this time and do a mock booking and know what category now matches what you paid and ask for it so it is a easy thing for the rep to do without having to walk you thru a bunch of stuff they dont want to do.

Make it easy on them.. say I want cabin 6495 and it now matches what i paid.. know your facts this time.

Archived