Carnival Magic A/C does NOT Cool

Jerry W

I had the exact same thing happen to me on Elation. They came in and measured and said it was 74 degrees and meet their standards and refused to do anything to lower the temperature. Said it meet their standards.

So, I know it happens just like the OP said.

Same here on the Freedom! Almost roasted, guest services couldn't have cared less. that's the main reason we are trying NCL next year.

I've had cold rooms on all my cruises. A room temperature of 72-74 is just about right for me. Around 78 I'll turn on the fan, but because the air from AC is dry, it doesn't bother me much if it gets that warm.

Imagine what a wonderful world it would be if we could all exchange our temperature preferences, so everyone had exactly the right fit!

Carnival does have fans however they go fast and if your steward is not quick you do without. 74 is not acceptable for us either I am not able to be comfortable so I bring my own fan. guest services do not care if you are warm or not so don't bother. Calling maintence doesn't work either. Bring your own fan so you can try to be somewhat comfortable.

I was also on the Magic and had the same problem with our cabin on the Lido Deck. It was so hot in our cabin I literally could not breath. I thought I was going to have to visit the Dr on board. I complained several times and nothing happened. Took the vent cover off and that helped for 1 night then it was back to the same thing. If they are going to keep the cabins so warm at night I'm just going to have to forget about cruising. I spoke to several people who said they were freezing in their cabin, go figure. I sure hope they change their standard soon.

I appreciate OP is quite new to CC, but the exchange above certainly does not bode well for the future. Rather than a sarcastic response, why not just give the cabin number. Given the reported thermostat problems, people may want to avoid that particular cabin. Or at least have a better idea of where on the ship the problem seems to be.

If you've been reading CC much lately, this problem of the cabins being too warm seems to be very common. And I agree. My last few cruises on Carnival, my cabin has been too warm. And Carnival always gives the same speech about the standard 76 temperature. I always travel with my fan so I can sleep at night.

74 is cold by most standards... Just what are YOUR standards that you wanted Carnival to meet??

Building houses is a lot different that ships...so that was a stupid comparison.

Maybe cruising isn't for you..

You have to realize that the temp coming out of the A/C is not the room temp, as that fluctuates greatly during the day, and night. The A/C could be flowing but it often takes a while to cool the room... I had a balcony once that would not cool because of the sun flowing in all day, but the A/C was flowing correctly. Same thing happens to houses.. I live in Florida, and now these things... and I don't build houses. This is NOTHING that Carnival can control.

Appears 78 is the new temp sent by the powers to be, if you don't like it complain to some govt agency, kick a manatee, or cut down a tree ;)

Same folks in charge who change the freon in our cars or houses every month and suddenly 5 years later cost us a fortune to fix.

Go green energy.....just a matter of time before our ships are required to heat, cook or AC on recyclable sources?

So soon it will be we are mandated to adhere to 78 degrees. Not 74.

Funny you don't hear the staff in the bowels of the ship complain or break out and revolt?

Hmm, we were on the Magic last year and our Lido balcony was absolutely freezing. By the 2nd day, we had to call maintenance to get it fixed. It took them a couple times but they did get it right.

There actually was a problem and the room was measuring about 60 degrees, but after they fixed it, no problems for the rest of the cruise.

Appears 78 is the new temp sent by the powers to be, if you don't like it complain to some govt agency, kick a manatee, or cut down a tree ;)

Same folks in charge who change the freon in our cars or houses every month and suddenly 5 years later cost us a fortune to fix.

Go green energy.....just a matter of time before our ships are required to heat, cook or AC on recyclable sources?

So soon it will be we are mandated to adhere to 78 degrees. Not 74.

Funny you don't hear the staff in the bowels of the ship complain or break out and revolt?

No reason to go green,unless you like putting people out of work and charging unrealistic prices. Solyndra went bankrupt don't see green going to far. Wind turbines kill protected birds such as bald eagles. We have plenty of natural resources right here we need to use, now that the global warming myth has been debunked(there is no MANMADE warming), lets use natural resources. See the wild fires every year caused by leaving trees up that should have been cut down. Come on Carnival lets get that AC temp down to 70!;)

We were on the Breeze about a month ago, and I actually had a digital thermometer with me. I was impressed with how responsive the room air conditioning system was. I could easily get the room below 70 degrees without even having to turn the thermostat to the lowest setting. Also, at the highest thermostat setting, I could get the room to 80 degrees. I was really impressed. We kept the room at a comfortable 70 degrees most of the time.

Compared to the HVAC systems in the older Carnival ships, where you had to stand on the bed to reach the temperature adjustment knob on the ceiling, it was a HUGE improvement!

My wife grew up in a house that was 85 deg most of the time.

At 74 she is looking for a sweatshirt.

I don't know how much individual control a single room has over a ships AC system.

I would bet their system isn't individual units per cabin and the AC is shared.

The individual rooms sensors average out the temps in either initiate cooling or heating based on the average.

The above is just a guess... if I had specific information on the type of cabin HVAC that is used I could tell you how it works and why they do what they do.

I'm and HVAC controls engineer.

I'm a former Staff Chief Engineer on NCL's ships. Most of this will be for the folks who don't know much about HVAC. For the most part, the major A/C cooling is done in large "battery" rooms, that have cooling coils, fans, and ductwork that distribute the cool air to an entire fire zone of the ship. The ships all use a chilled water cooling system, where the refrigerant cools water in the engine room, and this water is pumped up to the air coolers throughout the ship.

The cabin thermostats do different things on different ships. On some ships, it is just a damper control, that regulates how much cool air you receive. A crude way to regulate individual room temp, but cost effective.

On other ships, there will be a small chilled water cooler located frequently under the vanity in the bathroom, that has a small fan that will recirculate the room air past the cooler as regulated by the cabin thermostat.

Also, one other feature is usually not mentioned to the passengers until they complain about the cabin temperature: when the balcony door is open, the A/C is shut off.

Inconsistent temperatures between cabins, or for the same cabin on different cruises, is usually a maintenance problem. There are air filters on the main air coolers, which can restrict the flow of air when dirty. The cabins with recirculation coolers in them will also have a filter that needs cleaning/changing regularly.

Certain environmental features will affect the ability of the A/C to keep up. We always had problems with the aft balcony cabins in Hawaii on embarkation day, as they faced south, and would soak up heat before the guests arrived. Simple solution, we closed the drapes that the hotel department liked to open to show off the balcony. If a cabin has exposed deck above it, it will generally be hotter. I know this should have been handled in the design stage, but as ships age, their a/c performance drops off.

The "standard" temperature that everyone is quoting is the cut-off point where compensation will be made for a hot cabin, not necessarily that the HVAC department isn't going to work on it.

A/C and room temperature is a very subjective thing, as can be seen by lots of the other posts here. Some are comfortable at temps where others are sweating like a steam bath.

This, the DJ ruining the pool area and the wife beater shirts filling the boats is why my family takes another land vacation this year. Elation cabin was very warm 2 years ago. Not our idea of vacation no more.

Same here. Just booked a beach front condo in Destin Florida for 1-1/2 weeks for next year. We usually only do Destin in September, but are going May and September next year. I know I'll be comfortable there. Carnival has lost a loyal customer.

I have just recently gotten off the Conquest and had a lot of the same issues with room temp as stated previously. here is my experience we arrived to our room and my DW made the comment the room seems warm compared to other cruises we have taken, I just chalked it up to that it was a very humid day in NOLA and the ship was wide open allowing for all the cool air to escape. I figured that once we got going the room would cool down, that was not to be. I ended up having to make a place to sleep on the floor to get some sleep. Now to give you some reference my DW is always cold and would prefer the room warmer than I would but she even had trouble sleeping. So next day went to guest services to see what could be done, no way I was going to spend my whole cruise sleeping on the floor of my cabin. while talking to Guest services they informed me they keep the rooms between 70 and 74 and they would send someone up to check it. The tech showed up and the room temp was 74.5 and she explained that Carnival keeps the rooms between 71 and 75. I informed her that that was unacceptable and that I wouldn't spend my whole cruise sleeping on the floor. She informed me that was all she could do. I then asked her if she really wanted a guest to sleep on the floor during the whole cruise. She then talked to Guest services and provided a fan which did make it better but never great. So just be warned that if you like it cool in your room you might be out of luck. I am not sure if it like your car that keeping warmer cuts down on fuel costs but it seems it might.

It is understandable that some may fine 74, 75, 76, 77 degrees comfortable. But for some of us, that is way to hot.

The standard for a comfortable temp, I believe, is 72 degrees. For me, 72 is the hottest I can comfortably deal with.

On average, a one degree change in cooling temp change, can lower or add 10-15% in cost. If Carnival raises the temp by 2 degrees, they can save 20-30% in cooling cost.

I do not think it is unreasonable to expect a cabin to achieve a 70 degree temp. Just because you are comfortable at 76 degrees, certainly doesn't mean that is the norm. 72 Degree's should be the highest temp an AC should max out at in a living space.

OP: Our room on Magic was too warm, also, at least for our liking. Like some others have replied, we had a cove balcony; unlike others, we found it to be way too warm, at least for comfortable sleeping purposes. We usually cruise in June/July, though, and the other "Coves" look to have cruised in cooler months, so that might make a difference.

As I posted on another A/C thread, though, my spouse and I like it cold at night -- we would probably be quite comfortable sleeping in one of the Ice Hotels. :D

You should have an 18 degree split for good cooling. Discharge air should be 18 degrees cooler than return air. Discharge air is usually 55 to 58 degrees. 74 degrees cant be their standard.:eek:

The "standard" is room temperature, not delivery temperature. My ship had the recirculation cooler type of system, and the repairmen would normally check the delivery temperature, room temperature, and delivery temperature from the recirculation unit. This would allow us to troubleshoot where the problem could be, but again, the room temperature was recorded on the work order, so that if a claim for compensation was made, the HD could tell whether or not it met the company's standard temperature.

As "buildings" become "greener" you will see the "acceptable" temperature go up.

I monitor a "Net-Zero" building weekly and the acceptable temps are up to 75 deg. They run a cooling SA temp of 65 over chilled beams. They are projecting to draw 0 Kwh from the grid this year. Everyone in the building had to sign off on the building running warmer.

Archived