Carnival Magic A/C does NOT Cool

Jerry W

I have to tell you that just about everyone on the Magic was very friendly and did just about everything they could to make our Cruise enjoyable!!! But just because you are friendly does NOT solve problems!!!

HOWEVER: Be aware that when we were having problems with the Temperature in our Cabin (it was NOT cool) at 1:00am in the morning as my wife was very uncomfortable trying to sleep, the folks from Carnival came in with Meters and such and declared that it was cooling just fine because 74 deg F is 'their standard'!!! I explained that it was NOT my nor my wife's standard and we always sleep in a much cooler environment.

I build homes for living and understand A/C Units and the Carnival Magic was only cooling the Ambient Temp about 12.5 deg. A proper working A/C like in your home will cool 14 to 18 deg from Ambient to the Temp coming from the Outlet.

As they were telling me, after we returned, with my call to Customer Service to discuss about their "standard", I commented that they should put that Info on their WebSite so that persons that needed a cool environment so as to sleep comfortably could make a decision if they should go on Carnival or not. Yeah, I will be sure to hold my breath on seeing that on their WebSite!

So, if you like to sleep cool, go with another Cruise Line or ask questions that I never thought to ask before you pay your money. And for the record, the Thermostat does NOT keep up with the Temp in your Cabin, rather it is totally subjective and by turning it in the direction of being cooler, all it does is to open the dampner that allows more air to flow into the cabin, and the air is no cooler than anywhere else on board.

• 5 weeks later...

We've been on the Magic twice both times in Spa cabins 12014 and 12016 and we about froze to death up there. Played a game with the steward every night - we turned the AC way down and she turned it way up when we were at dinner. Slept in the robe under the duvet every night to keep warm.

I have to tell you that just about everyone on the Magic was very friendly and did just about everything they could to make our Cruise enjoyable!!! But just because you are friendly does NOT solve problems!!!

HOWEVER: Be aware that when we were having problems with the Temperature in our Cabin (it was NOT cool) at 1:00am in the morning as my wife was very uncomfortable trying to sleep, the folks from Carnival came in with Meters and such and declared that it was cooling just fine because 74 deg F is 'their standard'!!! I explained that it was NOT my nor my wife's standard and we always sleep in a much cooler environment.

I build homes for living and understand A/C Units and the Carnival Magic was only cooling the Ambient Temp about 12.5 deg. A proper working A/C like in your home will cool 14 to 18 deg from Ambient to the Temp coming from the Outlet.

As they were telling me, after we returned, with my call to Customer Service to discuss about their "standard", I commented that they should put that Info on their WebSite so that persons that needed a cool environment so as to sleep comfortably could make a decision if they should go on Carnival or not. Yeah, I will be sure to hold my breath on seeing that on their WebSite!

So, if you like to sleep cool, go with another Cruise Line or ask questions that I never thought to ask before you pay your money. And for the record, the Thermostat does NOT keep up with the Temp in your Cabin, rather it is totally subjective and by turning it in the direction of being cooler, all it does is to open the dampner that allows more air to flow into the cabin, and the air is no cooler than anywhere else on board.

We just got back from the April 21 cruise and had no problems. We were in a cove balcony and it felt much nicer outside but the room itself stayed cool enough. Our room was definately cooler than 74 degrees. I am also curious about where your room is. If you had an inside cabin that migt make a difference.

We have not had problme on the Magic but did on the Ecstasy they brought in the meter and we proved them wrong. They then wanted to say it was because there were 4 people in the room. Well there was 4 in the room next door all paying customers. From then on we bring a small plastic fan. Makes all the difference in the world.

• 4 weeks later...

We cruised on the Crown Princess a few weeks ago and had that same problem. My husband has health issues and needs for it to be cooler than it was. They told us the same thing and pretty much that was the way it was supposed to be and it was not like an air conditioner at home. We had to sleep in our birthday suits to stay cool enough to sleep. Another weird thing is on Princess they didn't put a top sheet on the bed, only the comforter in a duvet cover. We had to ask for a top sheet so we could have something to cover up with instead of the heavy comforter. Well apparently they don't even have top sheets on the ship because we got a duvet cover to use as a sheet! I haven't had an issue on a Carnival ship with room temperature though.

We had four women in a cove a couple of weeks ago. When the AC was turned to the coldest setting, it was downright freezing in there. Sorry you had a bad experience, but I don't think it's typical of all cabins.

That being said, this 74 degree "standard" is ridiculous. Obviously these cabins are capable of getting much colder. When they can't get to the temperature that other cabins can, it's obvious there's a problem, whether it's within their "standard" or not!

Meredith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We've been on the Magic twice both times in Spa cabins 12014 and 12016 and we about froze to death up there. Played a game with the steward every night - we turned the AC way down and she turned it way up when we were at dinner. Slept in the robe under the duvet every night to keep warm.

I thought it was just me. :p I was on the May 19th sailing and my room was so cold I also slept in the robe under the blankets. Maybe you need a room in the refrigerator. :D

I thought it was just me. :p I was on the May 19th sailing and my room was so cold I also slept in the robe under the blankets. Maybe you need a room in the refrigerator. :D

I agree. I am not sure how anyone could say 74 is hot.

We were on the breeze a few weeks ago. The thermostat does not have #'s but we were cool enough and sometimes too cool. In fact I am almost always bordering on too cool on carnivals ships.

I agree. I am not sure how anyone could say 74 is hot.

We were on the breeze a few weeks ago. The thermostat does not have #'s but we were cool enough and sometimes too cool. In fact I am almost always bordering on too cool on carnivals ships.

74 is very uncomfortable for us. Maybe living in Texas where it a lot hotter has something to do with it.

I know one year I went to Disney in December and the temps were in the 50's. People working in the park had winter coats and gloves on. I wore a light jacket. lol

We had the same problem as the OP.

Bill

I know a lot is subjective, but it is odd how on one cruise our room is freezing; the next cruise we're sweating at night miserable. I don't get it. If I could figure out which rooms are the cold rooms, I'd be picking that one every time.

OP, so sorry for your experience. There's nothing worse than being hot at night. Being cold, you can layer up. Being hot, there's not much you can do.

I had the exact same thing happen to me on Elation. They came in and measured and said it was 74 degrees and meet their standards and refused to do anything to lower the temperature. Said it meet their standards.

So, I know it happens just like the OP said.

I could not stand 74 without a couple comforters. This is one of those individual things that is always going to make someone unhappy along with the mattresses. If our house temp is moved below 78 I start looking for the long sleeve shirts.

I agree with several on here that a small circulating fan would have helped somewhat. However if you've acclimated yourself to a much cooler temp it may not help at all, sorry.

There have been several posts recently complaining about ac in various ships/lines. I am really starting to believe that the thermostats in all the rooms are dummy thermostats and the temps are either controlled on board by maintenance or off site completely. Lots if companies do this to keep people from turning the ac down to really low temps and costing the company more money to run each unit. If they control it and keep them all at a set temp this controls cost.

After reading this thread, I've ordered a 6" desk fan from Amazon. If I don't need it on the Victory next month, I can always use it as a desk fan once back home.

You dont need to buy a fan. Carnival has them just ask your room steward for one. They have big box fans.

There have been several posts recently complaining about ac in various ships/lines. I am really starting to believe that the thermostats in all the rooms are dummy thermostats and the temps are either controlled on board by maintenance or off site completely. Lots if companies do this to keep people from turning the ac down to really low temps and costing the company more money to run each unit. If they control it and keep them all at a set temp this controls cost.

I disagree. I just got off the Breeze and in the day we kept it pretty cool as we were hot after walking around in port. But in the night we warmed up the room some as to not be cold in our sleep especially with a baby in the room. The room got hotter when we wanted and colder when we wanted. The thermostats do work.

We just came off the Elation, and this was our only real complaint other than the kids that we were seated next to on formal night. We had JS Balcony V5 and it was so hot in there most of the time that it was just miserable. :mad: To make matters worse, it was so humid out that we couldn't even open the balcony door or sit out there. For the most part, we had to keep the lights off, with just a bedside lamp on, keep the bathroom door closed with the exhaust fan on, and TRY to sleep with just a sheet. At home our air is at 65-70 year round, including when it is -30 in the winter.

My wife grew up in a house that was 85 deg most of the time.

At 74 she is looking for a sweatshirt.

I don't know how much individual control a single room has over a ships AC system.

I would bet their system isn't individual units per cabin and the AC is shared.

The individual rooms sensors average out the temps in either initiate cooling or heating based on the average.

The above is just a guess... if I had specific information on the type of cabin HVAC that is used I could tell you how it works and why they do what they do.

I'm and HVAC controls engineer.

I am from a colder climate than Texas with no humidity and I do not do well when it is hot or humid outside. Needless to say, I was extremely pleased that our cabin on the Magic in April cooled very well. We had it on almost as high as it would go and at times it was pretty cold in our room. We never had issues with our AC and if there had been issues, we would not have been happy. :)

I agree....However just returning from the Magic on Sunday, and being a person who turns the AC on about 70 with a fan to sleep; it was very comfortable on the ship...In fact my dd would turn the temp up because she was freezing when getting out of the shower....

I am really starting to believe that the thermostats in all the rooms are dummy thermostats and the temps are either controlled on board by maintenance or off site completely. Lots if companies do this to keep people from turning the ac down to really low temps and costing the company more money to run each unit. If they control it and keep them all at a set temp this controls cost.

I agree....However just returning from the Magic on Sunday, and being a person who turns the AC on about 70 with a fan to sleep; it was very comfortable on the ship...In fact my dd would turn the temp up because she was freezing when getting out of the shower....

I wish we had your room!! We had a spa balcony on the Magic last week and our room was cool but never the cold that we like, especially in the middle of the night. Next cruise, I'll be packing a small fan.

What room were you in?

Why, were you on that Cruise or have you had a similar problem?:confused:

I appreciate OP is quite new to CC, but the exchange above certainly does not bode well for the future. Rather than a sarcastic response, why not just give the cabin number. Given the reported thermostat problems, people may want to avoid that particular cabin. Or at least have a better idea of where on the ship the problem seems to be.

Archived