Alchol

I think it is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS that passengers are not ALLOWED to bring a bottle of wine that this cruise line charges an astronimcal amount of money for back to your room. I am a responsible adult and should be treated as such. Seriously considering canceling our trip and choosing another line. Way too many nickel and dime items. And it has nothing to do with our safety - it has to do with making more money - nickel and diming!!!!!

And what is wrong with making money? They are not in business for the fun of it, they have to make a profit to stay afloat, the cruise itself is a very good price and if you drink the cost is comparable with any Restaurant on dry land.

I know - we were told we can bring two bottles of wine on board with us but it's an eleven day cruise and although we are by no means heavy drinkers this IS vacation and really would like to be able to relax on the balcony with a nice glass of wine before/after dinner - but thank you for the encouragement. And I'm sorry to say we spoke with an RCI rep yesterday who confirmed that you cannot bring a bottle of wine back to your room even if purchased on the ship. It gets mighty expensive purchasing two glasses of wine each night for a little romantic atmosphesre on the balcony with that beautiful water below. :confused:

That is totally incorrect you can buy a bottle of wine in the dining room and take it back to your cabin, as often as you wish.

I do it all the time.

[/color]

And what is wrong with making money? They are not in business for the fun of it, they have to make a profit to stay afloat, the cruise itself is a very good price and if you drink the cost is comparable with any Restaurant on dry land.

Although I did mention pricing of the wine that was not my main concern. My concern was that after purchasing the wine and paying ANY price I would be restricted from bringing it back to our cabin to enjoy. I have now been informed by a few on these boards that we might be able to bring bottle(s) of wine back to our room and so would not have to, if we chose, purchasing a wine package and on top of that have to purchase an additional glass of wine to bring back to the cabin. Nothing is wrong with making money - I also work very hard for the money I make!

Although I did mention pricing of the wine that was not my main concern. My concern was that after purchasing the wine and paying ANY price I would be restricted from bringing it back to our cabin to enjoy. I have now been informed by a few on these boards that we might be able to bring bottle(s) of wine back to our room and so would not have to, if we chose, purchasing a wine package and on top of that have to purchase an additional glass of wine to bring back to the cabin. Nothing is wrong with making money - I also work very hard for the money I make!

I know others have commented on this thread but will throw in my experience to "ease your mind". We have done both the wine package in the dining room and had bottles delivered to our cabin. In the dining room IF (and that's a big if) a bottle was not finished during dinner, we were given the choice to hold the remaining wine for the next night or take it out of the dining room with us. If taking out of the dining room, they will even give you glasses to take with you.

We have also had bottles in the cabin, can be more than one and does not have to be delivered the first day. We have been able to take that wine out of cabin for consumption elsewhere on the ship. Here your cabin steward can get wine glasses, or a quick stop by any bar and you can get them.

Haven't sailed since Royal has opened up the policy to bring your own on so can't comment on that, yet.

Is this your first cruise with RC? If so, you may learn as many of us have, that the reps on the phone do not always give correct information.

I wish they would. But - if an $8 bottle of wine costs $40 on board, that $25 bottle of Rum would be around $125!

exaggerate much??;)

Afraid the poster could be correct. Ravenswood Zin sells for roughly $8-9 in my local wine ship and ( I think ) it is $35 on the ship wine list. More costly wine seems to have a lower (%) mark-up.

The alcohol is not much different at all.

A comedian one said that the definition of a cruise passenger is one that:

takes a week off of work

flies 1000 miles

spends $2000

and then lugs back a bottle of rum to save $10.

M

Still stretching it. Generally the markup is between 85-115% of retail. This is the same standard you find in most restaurants. If you really found a bottle for $40 (or even $30), that you can get for $8, that is an egregious exception and not the rule. There are always good deals and bad deals, but you seem to be cherrypicking for illustrative purposes.

First one on the list is Beringer - White Zinfandel for $31.05. Currently at my local liquor store for $4.99. That's over 6x at retail prices.

It does appear the lower end wines tend to be market up the most. By eyeballing the the RCI list the Moet is $79.35 and can generally be had in these parts for around $30 which is "only" about 2.5x.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftcatalog/category/home.do?catCode=WINE

http://www.liquorandwineoutlets.com/products/detail/32652/beringer_white_merlot_california

Thanks everyone - sounds like we might be able to have that glass of wine on the balcony after all. I really appreciate all the positive feedback from all of you! This is our first time on RCI and therefore need all the advice from you in the know. We will be on the Explorer - can anyone tell me anything about the shows on board?

Thanks again - much appreciated!

Just to let you know you now may bring wine aboard at time of departure. You must bring it in your carryon. It is one bottle per person per cabin. This is new to RCCL. And yes if you purchase wine package or wine individualy you may bring it back to your room.

There are cruise lines that let you bring on as much alcohol as you want. Perhaps you would enjoy yourself more if you could bring as much wine, hard liquor and beer that you can drag on the ship? Our stateroom hostess even neatly arranged all of our booze bottles for us and brought us ice 3 times a day so we would never run out :)

Archived