Forward vs Aft penthouse on the GEM

willow1567

Good morning all,

My husband decided to surprise me by announcing we are cruising this summer- in a suite!!! Now the decision - should we book a forward or aft penthouse. Any suggestions???

Tell me why you would choose one or the other-

Also for forward suites- Is one deck preferable to the other?

Thanks.

We had an aft on our first cruise. Friends had a forward, cabin layout was the same with the exception of the deck. The forward decks was about twice the size. I forget which deck they had, 11? they were right under the bridge. If you like it a little windy the view is great. Curtains must be closed at night in the forward cabins if you have have lights on

My husband and I just had this debate. We ended up booking the forward cabin because of the extra balcony space for our upcoming Gem cruise. On our last cruise our friends had an aft cabin and we were there enough that we wanted to try out the forward cabin as well. The aft balconies are roughly 100 square feet and the forward ones on deck 9 are roughly the size of the room, about 250 square feet. I'm sure whatever you choose you'll have a great time!

We have had the aft and loved it but next year we are trying the forward. I have read about the wind and the lights but the thought of sitting out on my extra large balcony as we come into port sounds great.

My first time in a suite is coming up. I am booked in a forward suite on deck 9. I was told that deck 9 balcony is bigger room is slightly smaller than deck 10 rooms which are bigger and balcony is smaller. I think no matter what you decide you will have a great time in your suite.

I prefer the aft but that's because I am prone to seasickness and you feel the motion much more in the front. If it wasn't for that I'd try the forward penthouse.

Either way, you'll love the suite life:D

Thanks to everyone for the replies. We did it- booked our first suite:D we were going to go with 9500 but while I was researching (read obsessing over which room to book) it went away so we are booked in 9002.

Now I can begin obsessing, I mean researching for the trip.

Have a great night.

Dawn

I sailed both aft and forward on the Gem and I preferred the Forward Penthouse

There isnt a lot of privacy when on the balcony though because you are right under the bridge but I enjoyed being the first to see things and the balcony was huge

On another note i loved sitting on the balcony aft and watching and listening to the wake(i think thats what its called)

Either way you cant go wrong

Enjoy!!

the suites on deck 9 in the front have oversized balconies part of which are under cover and part are with out cover.

However realize that most days enroute wind is a factor, making it difficult to sit outside comfortably. Once you dock it is pleasant.

It is large enough that it hold 2 lounge chairs and 2 sit up chairs with ample room besides that.

The room inside are more than adequate with closets and draw space plus a bathtub --

I believe on deck 10 you loose some deck space due to the angle in the front

the suites on deck 9 in the front have oversized balconies part of which are under cover and part are with out cover.

However realize that most days enroute wind is a factor, making it difficult to sit outside comfortably. Once you dock it is pleasant.

It is large enough that it hold 2 lounge chairs and 2 sit up chairs with ample room besides that.

The room inside are more than adequate with closets and draw space plus a bathtub --

I believe on deck 10 you loose some deck space due to the angle in the front

The 2 center penthouses, 10000 & 10500, lose a small amount of balcony space that is space gained in the interior due to the shape of the bridge. We still managed to have 10 people on our balcony at one point. The covered/uncovered was comparable to most others on the front. We only found wind to be an issue when standing up while sailing, other than the very last night when there was a storm in the area.

• 3 weeks later...

If you do not mind my jumping in here....all things being the same( for only 2 people) would you select a forward or aft suite or a 2 bedroom suite?

Am also in the midst of trying to decide between the 3 selections for a Panama Canal cruise on the Pearl next year.

Really apprreciate the information given but am still undecided,

We've sailed in a penthouse aft on the Gem, and loved it.

Only downside is to check occasionally for soot from the ship's chimneys. Just ask the cabin steward to hose down the deck once or twice during the cruise.

In June, we're trying the forward penthouse on the Gem. We know the deck is larger, but chose deck 9 over deck 10 because deck 10's balcony is fully exposed to the bridge. I like a bit of privacy and bit of overhang for shade.

Will let you know how the forward cabin/balcony works out. Can't wait!

If you're doing forward, go up a deck to 10500 or 10000. They're a little bigger than the others because of where they sit under the bridge

With these two cabins is there any covered space on their balconies? If so, is there any space to sit without being under the "eyes of the Bridge"?

• 10 months later...
Thanks to everyone for the replies. We did it- booked our first suite:D we were going to go with 9500 but while I was researching (read obsessing over which room to book) it went away so we are booked in 9002.

Have a great night.

Dawn

Hi Dawn, sorry to comment on such an old thread, but I have the chance at this exact cabin. How was it?

Have a great night.

Dawn

We had suite 9000 on the Jewel (identical to the Gem) and this is the balcony. Talk about huge:eek:. 9002 on the Gem should be the same size

<a href=FEB2011CruiseVacation043-1.jpg' alt='FEB

I'm jumping in, too, 'cause we were next-door neighbors to Willow1567 in a Forward Penthouse on deck 9. We really liked it, especially as the balcony was HUGE and there was the overhang near the cabin that gave us privacy from being seen by the Bridge. If we were entertaining a large group, we would try booking the penthouse forward.

The downside is that it's usually priced higher than the Penthouse aft, and the cabin can feel closed-in at night. There are double doors to the balcony. One is a standard balcony door which covers the heavier hull door. They are closed at night, as are the curtains, as previously mentioned, to prevent light from interfering with officers on watch on the Bridge. It was our impression that the cabin was a bit smaller than a Penthouse Aft cabin on deck 10, which is what we usually take, though maybe it just seemed smaller because the windows were covered.

The advantage of the Penthouse Aft is being able to keep the window/door open at night to see and hear the wake. Though we could have turned off the lights in our forward Penthouse to spend time on the balcony at night, I don't think we ever did.

Hope this helps.