First cruise marriage proposal

I have booked to go on my first cruise, leaving Port Canaveral on May 5th on Freedom of the Seas for 7 nights. I have been with my partner for a few years now and thought this would be a great opportunity to propose to her. I would want it to be a simple affair, in a romantic spot maybe. Any ideas would be welcome on how I should do this!

Thanks!:)

My husband proposed to me on our first cruise and I will never forget it. Everyone was saying he was going to do it, but when it didn't happen in th first couple of days I just put the thought out of my mind.

He waited until one of our formal dinner nights. After dinner we took a walk out onto one of the decks. We found a bench to sit on and we were all alone except for one family playing shuffleboard down the way a bit. We sat for a few minutes talking and then out of nowhere the ring box came out of his pocket and he popped the question. I truly was surprised.

A couple of things threw me off....first of all...he had to store the ring in the safe without me noticing...how he did that I don't know. He said it was in there the whole time and he was afraid I would notice it.

Second...the fact that he waited a few days in made me think it wasn't going to happen. It was such a nice surprise after all.

Btw, I'm on Freedom the week after you....you get off and I get on.

Good luck with however you decide to do it....I'm sure she will be thrilled no matter what and it will be something to remember forever!

Congrats, my wife just found our Soverign of the Seas boarding card from Nov 1990, I proposed to her on that cruise, but did it in our cabin, did it night before we were landing in St Thomas so we bought a engament ring there ( great place to buy jewelry) . We have now done about 30 or more cruises together since.

Congratulations! In all honesty, whatever you do will be special.

My FH put a twist in the proposal that personalized it for us. I recommend that whatever you do, add something special that means something to the both of you. Even if its a slight thing. It'll have your own twist to it.

Places I remember on Freedom that was nice was the area I front of the ship, either the helipad or even the front most part on the level of the track. There were loungers there and it was very secluded.

Unless you want busy, then go for promenade with a crowd!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I vote for the helipad as well, but you might use the first night or two as scouting opportunities. Check out the moon phase and or sunset opportunities. Either might provide good backgrounds for pictures while you are on your knees. Just make sure if you pick a spot for those reasons that the ship will be headed in the same direction when you decide to act.

Best wishes for a long and happy life together.

Congrats on your upcoming special event. I know you mentioned you wanted a simple 'affair'. Another person mentioned giving the photographers a heads up so you can get pictures. I thought I would share with you one proposal I saw on our first cruise.

On a formal night, folks were lining up to go to dinner and people were getting their formal photos done. In the middle of this, you see the man get down on one knee and propose. I know it was an exciting time for everyone watching. But for the women she was so excited, surprised and happy she almost forgot to answer. Everyone kept asking, what's the answer. I am sure they got LOTS of great pictures of this memorable time in their lives.

But I agree, whatever you do, make it mean something special for both of you. Do make sure you come back and post what you did.

Erika

Helipad for sure!

I agree after the first formal night; then it will be dark with good view of stars. Who knows, it may even be noticed by the Capt'n.

The helipad after dinner on the first formal night would be exactly the way I would go.

My husband proposed to me on our first cruise and I will never forget it. Everyone was saying he was going to do it, but when it didn't happen in th first couple of days I just put the thought out of my mind.

He waited until one of our formal dinner nights. After dinner we took a walk out onto one of the decks. We found a bench to sit on and we were all alone except for one family playing shuffleboard down the way a bit. We sat for a few minutes talking and then out of nowhere the ring box came out of his pocket and he popped the question. I truly was surprised.

A couple of things threw me off....first of all...he had to store the ring in the safe without me noticing...how he did that I don't know. He said it was in there the whole time and he was afraid I would notice it.

Second...the fact that he waited a few days in made me think it wasn't going to happen. It was such a nice surprise after all.

Btw, I'm on Freedom the week after you....you get off and I get on.

Good luck with however you decide to do it....I'm sure she will be thrilled no matter what and it will be something to remember forever!

Thank you for replying, great story! I may try early on in the cruise! We will give you a wave as we get off!

Like others have said, after dinner on one of the formal nights. If she's the type that likes to be the center of attention, you can do it more "publicly" but if she's like me, where there's a need to be more private, then going up to the outside deck would be nice (especially if the weather is nice). A fun/quirky idea is to maybe have a little fun at the mini golf while in your formal wear, little silly but that makes it all the more fun...then maybe put the ring at the final hole and she finds the box there ;)

Archived